1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Breaker Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gutter21, Nov 5, 2012.

1. gutter21

gutter21 Member

Went to start the salter and seems like the Clutch is Frozen. I cant turn the spinning shaft at all. Kind of new to this. Any help would be great

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Is your chains froze up

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, that's likely to be the clutch itself. it's a part # 65212.

4. gutter21

gutter21 Member

Is there a way to test the clutch? It work fine last year. I also sprayed everything with bp blaster to loosen everything up.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If this is an ice breaker with the gas motor you can just take a booster battery or any 12 volt source and hook it up to the clutch wire. You should hear a distinct click in the clutch. To see if the clutch is working just start the motor and have a look at the shaft going down through the clutch to the conveyor drive gearbox. When the motor runs the sprocket should turn with the motor but the gearbox should not move until the clutch gets power. It may be that the clutch just has a bad ground or an open in the wire that feeds the + side. There are two wires coming out of the clutch. One should go to a screw for body ground and the other should go to a wire that goes up front to the control box. The control box should send 12V + down that wire when the switch is engaged. You can check that with a test light. When the clutch fails they usually get stinky like when you drive with the park brake on. You probably just have a bad connection. Here is a link to a parts breakdown for a common version of the Ice Breaker. There are many different versions, belt drive, chain drive etc so this may not be your model. Never the less it will give you some insight. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/94870.13_090106.pdf

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  6. gutter21

gutter21 Member

Thanks ....i will try that. It has a gas motor and v belts. When I start it, the pulley doesn't move where the clutch is so the belt start to smoke.

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Clutch is shot....

8. gutter21

gutter21 Member

It looks like the clutch is good.... I powered it up and heard a clicking noise. I then took off the belt going tote shift that goes down to the spinner. The clutch pulley moves ok. The shaft is frozen .....the guy that loaded the salter on the truck said it did rest on the spinner while installing it. Any suggestions

9. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Get a new shaft and bearings

10. mishnick

Sounds to me like your clutch is fine but your spinner shaft is seized. With the spinner belt removed did the conveyor move and stop OK? If so then your gearbox and conveyor is fine. Sounds like you got off easy. There are four bolts holding the two spinner shaft bearings to the shute. Remove them, pull the spinner out the bottom and check those two bearings. You can buy replacement bearings that are very similar but the grease zerks will not be in the right place. Be very carfull to get the bearings with the zerk between the bolt holes so you can grease it from the outside. These bearings can be a bugger to get off. I usually just cut them off and then clean up the shaft with emery cloth or a wire wheel so the new bearings go on nice. You shouldn't need to buy the whole shaft assembly.

11. gutter21

gutter21 Member

Looks like I got everything moving correctly.....Thanks For all the help and suggestions........1 last issue....when taking the belts off, the belt for the spinner broke...I hav replacement belts....i replace the chain drive belt with no problems...How do you replace the spinner belt?

12. mishnick

Spinner belt can be a bit of a challange since you have to get it around some obsticals. Depending on what type of setup you have.... http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/95490_030305.pdf
    Here is a link to a parts breakdown of a common belt driven shute and spinner. As I recall you usually have to loosen the spinner bearings to get the shaft to drop far enough to get the belt out and new one in. On some you have to loosen and remove the main drive belt from the motor which entails loosening the four bolts that hold the motor base to the rear extention. Then you have to retention all the belts in the correct order. There are so many different snader setups it is difficult to be specific. There are various belt and chain versions and then some belt systems have crappy little tensioners that really suck. Other belt systems you just loosen bolts allowing things to slide and you use a pry bar to set the belt tension and then just tighten things up to hold that tension.