1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice blade use

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Coolnorth, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Coolnorth

Coolnorth Junior Member

Hello from Dryden, Ontario.

I have a question for the pro road plow operators or grader operators out there. What is an ideal temperature for removing snowpack and ice off a gravel road with an ice cutting blade? My road on our local roads board jurisdiction needs the snow-packed washboard removed (about 9km worth) and we were being delayed because of the very cold temperatures, -30 Celcius.

Now, of course, the weather has warmed up so much the last few days and the road is getting soft enough that a truck plow would do the job.:)

Any info would be appreciated!

2. leon

leon Senior Member

Its not an easy thing to determine as the
    Ground temperature is what will rule any

The quickest way is to purchase an
    in ground thermometer for agricultural
  3. Coolnorth

Coolnorth Junior Member

So are you meaning the road surface temperature or the in ground temperature at a certain depth? The MTO (min. of Transportation Ontario) has truck-mounted thermometers which measure road surface temperature while driving to give data back to the snowplow drivers. This in turn determines salt/gravel ratios for highway treatment.

I know that snowpack will literally "pop" off of pavement when the temperature elevates above freezing for a day (our driveway will do this in March).
    Back to the problem I mention, the grader operator will try to cut through the ice or snowpack just enough to smooth it out, without touching the gravel too much and possibly wearing the cutting edge too quickly.

4. leon

leon Senior Member

graders, oh my

Hello Grant,

I certainly appreciate your interest.

The big thing is solar radiation and how much area
    is exposed to the heat even when it is very cold as
    the ground absorbs the solar energy.

I am glad you have grader operators that know what
    they are doing when plowing snow and ice.