1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice bank made plow lift without power. Do I need to worry about hurting plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cobol Dude, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Hi Guys;

Stupid question for you but I need my plow to last a long time so I want to make sure I dont abuse it.
    This last storm I was plowing my drive and I went to push a new pile of snow towards the mountain of snow/ice at the end of my drive... I was going to stack it but before I had a chance to hit the up button the old pile of snow forced my plow(fisher MM2) up. I dont mean the trip edge went, the whole plow and frame raised up. I was going slow but I am worried something could get jammed etc. What do you think?

P.S. Dont worry about me taking business from you pros. I just do my drive and my famillies'.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

They'll do that. You most likely didn't hurt anything,as long as your not making a practice of it (doesn't sound like it). I would assume you raised the ram and backed out of it slowly so as not to let the plow drop hard. If you were pushing hard packed snow under the plow and frame, you might check any hoses and fittings for signs of strain, sometimes retaining clips on mounting pins can be nocked loose too.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

My plow does that alot when I stack snow. I usually try to lift it up when backing out of the pile so as not to let it drop. Never really thought twice about it being bad for the plow. Maybe I should?

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Cobol Dude: Your unit is ok, the pumps are engineered to take an amazing amount of stress.

And you can plow anything you want at any price. It's a free country, it's your truck and equipment. Don't let the "lowball" comments bother you. If these "professional" plowers spent as much time working their business and being the best snow removal contractor possible, they would not have time to bash others.

Plow on Cobol Dude!

5. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i dont think it will hurt your mm2 because all it would do is put slack into the chain. So i dont think it would do any damage to the plow at all.
    Evan

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

congratulations you have learned how to stack snow instead of just pushing it.it wont hurt your plow as it is done here all the time.Even if you did back up without raising the blade,you are fine as the blade will lower back down the stack as you reverse.