1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice-ban!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kpmsnow, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I'm curios, I'm a new member to plowsite but not to the industry. I've seen a lot of talk about Magic liquids but not much about ICE-BAN, Why? I use ICE-BAN and love it! I use it to pre-wet my salt as it hits my spinner and as an anti-icing pre storm application. I have put in the time and played with it in almost every configuration I could come up with. Including spraying it in the beds of dump trucks to keep their material from freezing to their beds, on side walks as anti-icing "applied before storm arrival", as well as on parking areas in the same manor, to name a few. I absolutely love the stuff, and it has struck me as odd that I don't seem to see much on this site about it.

2. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

ice ban is a good product i have used it too. it is just too expensive to get where i am at. do you or anyone else know of any distributors near columbus,ohio i would use it if i could get the right priceussmileyflag

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I was looking at it this year for pre treating. do you buy it bulk ? what rates do you spray at and what type of tips do you use ?

4. studebaker48

studebaker48 Member

I buy magic salt in columbus that is treated and i treat my own. you use 7-9 gallons a ton on ice ban and magic salt.have you used magic before it is a little cheaper in our area to works really good if not better.

5. dee

dee Junior Member

We love IceBan! We have been able to buy in bulk in NH, we have 2 1000 gal tanks. Use it to pretreat walks, roads and parking areas most every storm. Also have our salt pretreated with it. We use a variety of spray rigs with teejet nozzles. I'd be happy to give more specifics to anyone who is interested.

6. GLS1

GLS1 Inactive

I understand magic and ice ban are different, but is one better or more economical than the other. Does ice ban have a pungent odor or brown color effects. thanks

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's like asking which is better - Coke or Pepsi?

How are they different? That might answer your question.

8. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

ICE-BAN 305 has what i would call a slite odor and has a light brown tinge. It's lighter in color then watered down ice tea. ICE-BAN 200 which is best used as prewetting or for highway use as anti-icing is more concentrated and does have more of an odor and is darker in color. I use 305 as anti-icing on parking lots and it works fantastic. I also use 305 as prewet and it works great for that too.

9. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have not gotten a price this year, but i think it was around $1.80 per gallon at 4,000 gallons. Last year i tried a well brine material which was crap. I know that there has to be reputable companies out there that sell well brine and it is quite cheaper.

Is the ice ban worth the extra costs? I am familiar with sugar beet products and very impressed with what they can do. Ice ban being a corn based product, does it work as well as the sugar beet products ?

10. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I will honestly say I have never had any experience with the sugar beet stuff. I however do have # company's that work with me, that after seeing my lots switched to ICE-BAN and claim that they have way less problems with ICE-BAN. They tell me that ICE-BAN isn't't nearly as sticky. Doesn't't gum things up like they claim the beet juice did. They where and are still very happy with the switch. In-fact we just put in a 10'000 gal system and moved our 6'000 gal system to a rented area for a remote hub. Used properly the stuff works extremely well. But it is not for the weekend warrior. It does take some knowledge and some practise to really see the true benefits.:)

11. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

who do you buy it from ? have you ever tried a natural well brine ?

12. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I buy direct from the producer. I don't use well brine because of the variance in percentages of the mixture. I feel that if they can't guarantee me consistent levels in there product, the question arises how can I be sure I will get consistent results. Having a consistent product is the first step for me to getting consistent results. It also allows me to become more precise with my application rates which helps increase my margins.

13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Sears Petroleum?

14. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

:eek: I'm sorry what I should have said was "local producer". The products all show up to them in raw forms and they mix them to form ICE-BAN's products. I'm not that far up the food chain. :laughing:

15. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

ussmileyflag

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've had little bit of experience with all of the above products, including Mike's. ;) Used a gallon or 2 of each and every one of them.

If you want info, you can PM me and I will be happy to tell you my experiences but in regards to this aspect of S&I management I am no longer giving my experiences away for the public to see. They can learn the same way I did.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  17. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

ice ban distributors

Does anyone know of a distributor for ice ban in illinois or indiana?

18. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

inquiry regarding IceBan
    regional Manager for Scotwood Industries
    cell 314-566-4153 can answer your questions
    Happened to have it saved in an email from when I called earlier this season
    I know of it, but nothing about it, and it doesnt seem to be used around here that I know of.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  19. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Just click on the brunk&ajp link on this site they are the supplier for indiana, illinois, ohio, and a couple other states. Ask for deb and tell her Tyson refered you. Either her or Tracy will take care of all your needs. Unless you are in my area then they will refer you to me.

20. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm forever curious about different Ice melt liquids. But it would be nice to be able to try a small amount before buying 100's or 1000's of gallons. Either it works and I like it and then buy lots of it or I dont like the results and say no thanks. Seems to me that if someone is so confident in their product they would almost insist you try it. Unfortunately it just doesn't happen that way anymore.