1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice ban vs magic

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by home rescue, Oct 7, 2004.

1. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Hello everybody, was wondering what kind of differences there are between magic salt and the ice ban treated salt. Is one better than the other or about the same. Seems like alarge price difference between the 2 when priced by the bag. Magic has been quoted to me for almost twice the price.
  2. Ted Leslie

Ted Leslie Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Both products are similar.

The liquids used to treat the salt are blends of Mag Chloride and an Agricultural Material.

Bagged material prices are generally dictated by freight distance and quantity ordered.
  3. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

thanks, I know ther similar as far as the process thier treated with but is one better than the other, if you go by the price difference it seems there would be, but if one is far superior to the other is probably what i am wanting to know.
  4. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

the difference

The only similarity between Magic and ice ban treated salt is that they tend to both be brown in color and both have mag chloride as part of there make up.It is the other part of the mix or formula that is different and it is completely different.Magic consisitently uses distilled solubles and mixes this with mag chloride.Ice Ban uses several different formulas mixed with magchloride or mixed with calcium chloride.The majority of ice ban of today is mixed with magchloride.The other part is the what makes it much different than magic.This part is or can be steep water,or other agricultural by products not distilled solubles like Magic.Magchloride typically has a corrosive inhibitor in it.The Magic is mixed with distilled solubles which has a natural corrosive inhibitor in itwhich other products like ice ban do not have.This is why there are so many copys of Magic on the market today.None of them can make this claim which nutrallizes the corrosive nature of salt.The other producst just have a corrosive inhibitor in the mag to reduce the corrosive nature of mag which is low to begin with.Magic is more expensive because you are getting more,you are getting a product that truly works to 35 below zero,wont destroy your grass,pavement,landscaping,hardwood floors,tile,concrete and so on.
  5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I use Magic Salt above all others. That stuff kicks butt and lasts all day and works at all temps. I have no problems with burnt grass, shrubs or concrete
    damage in the summer either.

The price difference could be based on your location. I am in NY and close to Taconic Maint. home of Magic Salt. So for me its as cheap as plain rock salt and cheaper than cal. chloride or mag...................geo :drinkup:
  6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Thread hijack

How does magic compare to ice slicer from redland?