1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice and Snow on Asphalt... Help!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by schlimmster, Feb 19, 2007.

1. schlimmster

schlimmster Junior Member

Hi all,

I'm not a pro but could use some advice from a few. I'm one of ten households at the top of a steep asphalt road in the mountains of western North Carolina. Our hill becomes impassable after just a couple inches of wet snow, which quickly become ice in the shaded spots. We're all ready to pitch in and store some product near the hill, but we need to know what we can use that won't damage the asphalt. Li'l help...? Thanks in advance.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Look what would you rather do, slide off the hill and wreck your car, or put a little bit of Rock Salt down. Its cheep and effective. Plus, for the amount of snow that you get you won't be using much over the long run.

Otherwise see if you can buy some treated rocksalt, or spray a liquid like magic-o or caliber m-1000.

If you seal your driveway once a year or everyother year the rocksalt is not going to hurt it.
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Just use treated salt on it so it doesn't re-freeze. The worst that can happen is that you will have to do an overlay on it after 8 or 10 years of applications. Keep it clean after storms if you are worried about it.
  4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had a problem with salt on asphalt. It is much more fogiving than concrete.It is always the grass next to the asphalt that worrys me ! As long as you do not apply too much product you will be fine with salt or any other ice melter. Either way I would rather kill a little grass at the edge of the road than slide down a hill or into traffic on a busy road. Moderation is the key to your application. Salt is much cheaper than any insurance deductable. Just my 2 cents !!!
  5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Salt + 55 gal drum.