1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"I would never buy a truck that has/had a plow on it!"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Roger Dodger, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

How many times have I and other's here heard this statement? Do we drive pieces of cr@p for the most part? Granted I have seen a few rat-traps on the road that give plow trucks a sour image, but most are late model trucks and in good looking condition.

I had a co-worker say that to me a couple weeks back and I replied in return about him towing his tractor and car hauler constantly. Between hauling that and those that haul large campers in hot weather, their trannys aren't in any more pristine condition than a plow truck. At least we have the cold weather in our favor, over summer driving. If I was at a car lot looking at a used truck that has/had a plow on it, at least I would know a part of its work history and investigate from there as compared to the unknown trucks with trailer hitches only. I'd have to really look for indicators that it may have towed... and then how much?
  2. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Speaking for myself, I try and take the best care of my truck that I can and judging by the equipment pictures thread there are a lot of others that do as well.
    I think that one factor people think of when they make a comment like this is in the case of a large company running many trucks, just some guy is driving the truck, he doesn't treat it like it was his own and beats on it. Just like the average Joe does with a rental car. (Hey, it's not mine kind of attitude) But hand in hand with this attitude it that fact that the guy *may* be slamming into curbs, snow piles etc. and tweaking the frame as well as beating on the tranny. I agree with you, these trucks pulling haulers and landscape trailers etc. probably have had some tranny abuse and shold be watched out for as well, but with a plow already on it you know it has had some abuse, and possible structural damage as well.

Also, I believe that I read somewhere on this site, that when looking for a used truck try to find one that did not have a plow on it. Can't find the thread at the moment.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I personally wouldn't buy a truck that has been plowed,especially a late model.A lot of them are lease returns that have been beat to crap.Plowing is a lot harder on a vehicle then towing,in most cases.

Most of the pristine trucks used for plowing aren't traded in and sitting on used car lots.

Better off to buy something that hasn't been plowed and put a plow on it.
  4. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

I agree with both post here , most plow trucks are stereo typed i have had people , in the past stray away from my equipment and i would say that most of us probley maintain our trucks better than the guy that hauls his trailer or hauler , heck my wife says i treat the trucks to much like there my kids , i name all of my trucks and hey if i could they would all have ssn #s. .Has far has how mine are driven every year in oct i have a drivers meeting iam very up front on what i expect from them and what not to expect i will can a guy on the spot in and during the middle of a plow if i see abuse i have set up my whole buss with a time cushion and give no latitude for a driver to need to beat the crap out of my equipment i have lost two drivers in the last 5yrs for this reason , It is far to costly in repairs vs the time saved in beating up trucks if i think the buss has grown to much i add another truck and so on to cut time issues out ,, anyway interesting post and just my 2cents
  5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

This quickly explains why so many dealers remove a plow from a trade-in and end up with a pile of them hiding out back somewhere! A quick spritz of paint or undercoating to the truck's underside masks blemishes leftover from bolts and mounts. They then try to sell the plow at 1/2 to 3/4 cost of a new one, plus the installation fee.
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...I trade my trucks after 3-4 winters.
    Nothing gets better resale here in NY than
    a GM 4x4 loaded x-cab. I get excellent trade
    along with my Gm family employee discount
    prices, rebates, gmcard points......
    I always tell the dealer to have the person
    who buys it to call me ! I tell them the truth
    and warn them to buy an extended warranty !
    On my 97 to 01 trade the guy who looked at it
    when I was making the deal for the 01
    ask me about it and I told him straight up about
    plowing etc and told him to look in glove box for
    oil change , trans. service etc. recipts. He bought
    it that day !....geo

BTW: I take the plow off and put it on new rig !
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I take as good of care of my trucks as possible,i'm big on prevenitive maint. and TRY not to hurt them,that being said,I would never buy a truck i have owned,i plow and tow and no matter how easy you think you are on it',it's still abusive,sure we all have trucks that have been around forever and been great,but would you really take a chance on someone else's?
  8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I would never buy a truck that has plowed. Plowing has to be the hardest thing a truck has to endure. Stop, start, backwards, forwards, load up(plow) unload (plow down) rough surfaces, lots of turning, high electrical loads, long time running at low engine rpms. I don't care how much you take care of your truck, or how easy you drive it a plow takes a lot of life off of a truck.
  9. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I totally agree with wyldman.
  10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well the only used plow trucks i would even think about looking at are the f 550 and up to 40,000 gvw.i did buy my L9000 with a plow on it.it has 273,000 miles on it now with a new rear end and rebuilt engine.trans is a 9 speed with the low hole gears.the gears in the trans are well rounded so sometimes i don't even need to double clutch and alot of times i can shift without using the clutch because the gears are well worn.i just pop it out of gear and rev it up a little and go into the next gear
  11. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Don't get me wrong here... But we take excellent care of our trucks. Serviced regullarly, and any problem gets immediate attention. But... I would not buy a truck that I know has been plowed. Plowing is tough. They take constant abuse, and it does take a toll ( On every aspect of the truck. ) Every 3 years we are in a new truck. We do run an older one, but it is in good shape and is primarily a back up truck. My 2 cents

12. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

been there, done that, never again!!:nono: :nono:
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would buy my truck even tho its been plowed with. But few take care of their trucks like most of us do. I did buy an 84K-20 with a plow on it from day 1. I bought it in 99. amd it has been a work horse. Someone replaced the 700R4 with a TH 350, and it hasnt given me any trouble at all. I payed 2K for it, and it has made me back at least 10x that if not more.
    If it was the right truck the plow wouldnt scare me, but I would look at it more carefully.
  14. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I agree, you never know the truth about what your buying. This was the first and last truck I buy with a plow.
  15. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I agee with most of you. Plowing is hard on a truck just like city miles are hard on a car. Heck, even more so.
  16. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

i purchase an 88 dodge w/fisher plow. great work truck and plow truck. it has had its moments where i had to invest $$$ into it. for the most part, it will be the back-up truck. no more, no less.

17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with Wyldman,dont buy a truck w/ a plow.Lets face it the trucks get pushed hard,and there is no way they will be a tight or last as long as a well maintained truck that wasnt plowed with.trucks that are real old,it isnt as big a deal,but when you see a 1-2 yr old truck with a plow-buyer beware,they usually get beat,then the dealer that takes them on trade uses it as a lot truck for a month or more.The problem here is you never know how hard its gotten beat,and its not there truck,and its under warranty so the who cares attitude comes to mind quick.I bought my 91GMC w/ a plow,no problems whatso ever with it. I fully intend to pull the plow off my Dodge before I sell it,so i can put it on my new truck.
  18. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I don't think I'd buy one that had been used to plow before. I know most guys maintain them and treat them good, but when I am selling a plow truck, its because the truck is getting too expensive to maintain, or needs a major repair. I just sold one, but I let him know what it needed, and priced it accordingly. I'd rather buy on that hasn't been plowed with if I had the choice.
  19. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I buy only NEW PLOW TRUCKS

& I have no trouble selling my old plow trucks for big $$$$$ as I keep them in great shape ;) .

There are lots of guys that can't afford a new truck, or don't want to plow with a new truck.

Too each his own.:waving: