1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i would just like to say

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by streetzstylz, Aug 17, 2002.

1. streetzstylz

streetzstylz Junior Member

This site is really awsome and all of the people are really nice and helpfull i really like the site and think its really awsome how every one gets along so well from what i have noticed so far :drinkup: well thats all i gata say and thanx to every one that has helped me out :cool:

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

We are all here to help every one out & learn ourselves. Weather it's a simple thing we may have overlooked, or how to compleatly rebuild a truck. We all have somthing to learn & are will to help others.
    I havent been here that long compared to many member here. I've learned so much from everone (can't thank every one enough) & I'm sure someones learned something from me.
    Heck, John Allen & Chuck two of the most experienced & sucesfull people in this business are here. Would thay be here if they had nothing to gain? New people are always welcome & bring up the most intresting topics sometimes.
    We are from all over the place. Some people get 1" of snow & freek out. Some have it worse then us in Buffalo.

Where else could a bunch of crazy people hang out?
    We can't ever take a vacation in winter. We get up at 3am just to drive arround in a blizzard. Drive arround when no one else sould be or can. Willing to stay awake in our trucks soaking wet for days on end hoping to push the right button & find the right gear.
    Get up every Hr. on the Hr. just to look out the window & check the latest radar images. Tread thru the snow & work by headlights & flashlights to replace that darn pin/part that broke or get that salter flowing again.

Most of all: We risk our selves so others can go on with their "normal" lives. We know that most people in this business live the same way & deal with horrible conditions. The main reason we are so friendly is we would almost feel sorry for each other if it wasnt for making money & truely enjoying doing what we do.

If you don't enjoy living the hr.-to-hr. life we live then it's not ment for you.

:rolleyes: Whoa! Got myself going...

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I think you're right. This IS a great site. Very, very little (if any) bickering - like you see elsewhere, and loads of great information from a whole range of people.

I - for one - think that snowplowers are a different breed. And, I am quite honored to be considered part of that "breed".

When we disagree here, we keep it outside the forum - and that is a testament to the quality of people that frequent this forum (all snowplowers too....hmmmmm).

I have some great friends here, and no matter what size our business is, we are all equals in that we all move the snow the same way.... off to the side. Doesn't matter what equipment we prefer, what manufacturers we get along with, or what region we are all in.... snow is white, we move it, we charge for it, and we love it.

Snowplowers can "smell" when it's going to start. There is an odor in the air that our wives and friends cannot recognize. Nor will they ever be able to recognize it. And, we cannot possibly explain it to those who haven't gotten the hang of it.... We KNOW when it's going to happen. We can't sleep well that night, and we also KNOW when the weathermen are wrong. We don't say it out loud - but it's not because we're afraid of being wrong, it's because we don't need to say it. But we know it's there.

My wife will watch me walk out thru the garage doors on to the driveway, and watch me look at the sky - close my eyes - and slowly inhale through my nose, and she'll ask me "Well??" because she has learned to recognize that I know what I know. And, I'll turn and say "Nope, not tonight", and she will sleep soundly even as the weatherman on TV says "70% chance of snow tonight".

Even when we are out in the storm, we are friends. We fight like dogs to secure a piece of business, but if the guy that won the job gets hung up on a snowbank in that lot we craved so badly and lost - we're right there with a snatch strap or a chain to pull him out, and then we shake hands and off we go again. It's because we are different.... and we know it. We just don't have a need to talk about it.

NO other industry has the competition and commraderie at the same time like we have.

We're a strange breed, you and I (and all the rest here). And, we are proud of it. That's the great thing about "us".

Welcome Streetzstylz..... we all know how you feel. You just said it out loud, and that is good.

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

John, you said it all . Again chuck, thanks for thinking up this site in the first place. I have learned so much and always injoy all the reading in the post from all the other snow worshipers.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Scott, I knew this site could be what it is today. It took us a little time, but we have all learned so much along the way, and we now have a great place to call "home". We also have the comraderie of so many others that have "been there, done that".
    Just one big happy family, complete with "grouchy Uncles", "stubborn Grandpops", "bickering brothers", "youngins that know it all", and wives that put up with it all... Here's to the Members of PlowSite :drinkup:

~Chuck

6. administrator

administrator Guest

aaah yes, John is so right.

Its so relaxing to come over here and read through professional conversations on an adult level.

Chuck

7. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Snow beach, not your average paradise...

This community is no different than any other. There's a mixed bag out there, to be sure. There are many people here who have helped me and I hope I have helped some myself. On the other hand, there have been some real jerks that have popped their ugly heads in this forum from time to time. Anyone remember 9 ft piles??? :-0

The members that come here to learn and help easily separate themselves from those that are here to try to sell you something. There are people here that are product reps that are helpful and great guys, don't get me wrong. However, the one or two that *****, fight and argue when someone disagrees with their sales pitch HAVE gotten on a nerve or two of fellow members in the past.

It seems when everyone is sitting around during a slow winter, there is more potential for that. I am happy the pre-adolescent antics I have seen elsewhere are no longer allowed here or at lawnsite!:nono: