1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I wonder why >?

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by diehrd, Jan 22, 2007.

1. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I have a new Arctic,,used it this season which has been a lite year so far..

I am curious why these are not more popular ? I have another truck with a western..And I can not see why I would spend almost 1k more to have the western over the Arctic..

Any one have good reason to think the Arctic is not a decent set up ?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a decent system. I can't say I've ever seen them around, but I'd say it is better than some we've encountered here. Which setup do you have, and on what kind of truck?

3. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I use the Steel Link System II ... Have it on My Tahoe... It apparently is a Canadian manufactured system and with it dismounted it is difficult to even notice the truck has a plow...

Just curious why these have not gotten more attention..My whole system installed with tax was 3200 which is crazy cheap when used plows mounted are 2500 to 3k in my area

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Don't Overlook Arctic!!!!!

I think Arctic is trying to enter the US market. The best way to do so is with bottom line pricing. Before you puchased your blade, had you ever heard of Arctic?? Proberly not?? To any one who comes accross one take a good look at one. They are super and really get the job done fast. The only thing bad about them is the mickey mouse wiring for the headlight package.

Don't worry about locating parts in your area, you won't need any for they never break. The only thing you will need to replace is cutting edges. Here in southwestern Ontario over 80% of people are using Arctic. Back about 7 years ago everyone had Meyer. As for a comparison, I've used Artic, Snoway, Meyer and Western. Each has there pros and cons. But don't over look Arctic when shopping for your next blade, or if you see someone in your area with one ask them how they like it. You might be a new owner of one!!xysport

DAFF

5. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

My Arctic

Have had my 8' poly arctic for 5 problem free seasons. Love it and it also does a great job scraping down to pavement.
    Only down side to my Arctic that I don't care for is their mounting
    system. Pain in the butt to re-mount after removal.

I would buy another Arctic without a second thought...

artic.jpg

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have run Arctic for years now. The mounting system sucks but you deal with it. The main problem you might come across is the 2 wires that are with the joy stick control at the front of the truck break. I am talking about the black and brown that are joined and then returned back into the engine compartment. If you have a tendency of grabbing it where the wires join to pull this connection apart the 2 wires might break. It is an easy fix but the break is not visible.

In Newmarket a 8'6" Poly is $6200 Canadian and the same plow in Chicago area is $3000 US. Must be nice how we make it in Canada, ship it to the States and sell it for almost 1/2 price.

7. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Ya I think the quick link 2 aint so bad..It is like a controlled crash LMAO but it is easy to mount,,And wires,,all seam fine EXCEPT the headlight plugs..wtf there like made by captain retardo...

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know what you mean about the headlight plugs. Did you get the black piece that you put on the plow side when you are not using the plow. It pushes into the headlight plug and it maintains its shape. My buddy cut his off and put 2 six pin trailer plugs on. He mounted the male end in his grill and it works great.

9. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

You have info on what he did..I would defiantly swap these out because there harder to plug in then mounting the plow sometimes..

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is actually very easy to do. If you cut off each of the ends that plug together and then just match the wire colors up on the male and female end of the trailer plug. I believe there are 5 wires for each plug. So if you put the white wire on pin 1 on the female end put it on pin 1 on the male end and so on. If you use the male end on the truck side it has the spring loaded door and crap won't get in the plug when you drive around. It is the exact same as wiring a trailer harness, just match all the colors up.

11. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Ok I get how to wire it :) ...

Not sure if I want those 2 big hitch plugs hanging off the front of my truck :) I will hit TCW Plow parts this week and see what I can use because honestly the plow is 100% I have no complaints BUT these head light wires are something else

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you get the 6 pin chrome ones they are not that big at all. I have a Chev and tuck all the wiring in the slot in the bumber when the plow is not on. I will take pics of this guys Tahoe tomorrow if I remember.

13. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

if u can do that i would be very thankful ! I wish I knew of a web site where i could brows for connectors lol..

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Here are 2 pictures.

plow wiring 001.jpg

plow wiring 002.jpg

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Here is my truck and the wings I added to my Arctic.

plow wiring 004.jpg

plow wiring 003.jpg

16. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

can you take some more pictures of how you attached the western wings to your plow?

Ive been looking to use there wings on my western plow but its not a pro plus

17. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Excellent Pictures ,,, i am going to set both head lights and the directional control to what you show..Will make life 100% easier neater and all around better..

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

kemmer
    The plow is very dirty but I hope this helps.

plow wiring 005.jpg

plow wiring 006.jpg

plow wiring 007.jpg

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The wing needs to push against the bar that is bolted between the 2 plow ribs. The wing is held on with a pin but there is a little bit of play, it is not rock solid. I had the advantage of seeing a Pro Plus Plow while I did this. The wing is actually a little looser on the Pro Plus then it is on mine.

I was looking more for containment and not making the plow wider. That is why I spent the extra money and bought the Western wings over some of the less expensive ones.

20. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

thanks, did u make that bracket yourself? also isnt there a tube that slides into a hole on the plow? did u cut that off? can u take one more pic of the actual wing for me? thanks alot looks great