1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I wonder why....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by REAPER, Jan 21, 2011.

1. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

the plow wont go left or right???

This is mainly for Mike to see instead of having a PM marathon.

I went ahead and cleaned the connection tabs and terminals at all contacts. Someone has been in there before and looks like they replaced the harness but added their own ends. Wire brushed and filed where I could until clean, slight crimp and then dielectric grease and connected.

The switch for the head gear now works with the controller in up position. When I did this it would not stay up tho once I released the switch. It was a slow movement back down with enough time to catch it and connect pins without having to hand push it back up to much.

hyd mainifold plow.jpg

hyd mainifold plow.jpg

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

This being a few years newer then what I had I was not use to having a side mounted refill tube on the passenger side of the motor. Not use to having one I never noticed it had sheared off.

broke clean.jpg

After getting the plastic threaded piece out I used a spark plug hole chaser to clean the threads as it was the same thread pitch.

used to clean.jpg

cleaned threads.jpg

I only dug up 2 options with pipe threads in my cans of nuts n bolts. These were the choices I had. One is a old water temp sending switch off something and the other is a reducer with a plastic plug.

choice I had.jpg

This is how it is now after I finished. Not sure I will replace that cheap plastic fill tube or just get a regular end plug and block it off as I am use to taking the cover off to check on my old one which also gives me the chance to look things over while I am in there.

how it is for now.jpg

What I found happened is there was a bolt missing on the bottom of the pump and the other was loose. That allowed the motor to move pretty freely. While stacking or something it allowed the tower to shear the fill tube off. The missing bolt threads were pretty messed up and after FF and a pick and small wire end brush I was able to run a tap to clean the threads and replace with a new bolt. Yes I also tightened the front one that was loose. :rolleyes:

Not sure when this happened or where but I was surprised the plow worked at all since it took a full Qt of fluid to get it back to where it should be.

broke clean.jpg

cleaned threads.jpg

used to clean.jpg

choice I had.jpg

how it is for now.jpg

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like it was everything you wished it wasn't Steve. :eek:

Couple brief things, if a plug tap worked in the fill port threads then something was definitely wrong there because they're not 14 or 18MM like a spark plug. They're pipe thread, or at least they were at one time. If you would have tapped it with a pipe tap you could have easily just installed a steel nipple and an elbow thus giving you easy fill access. Not the end of the world though, if you decide you want it at a later time just weld a new bung in the reservoir...that is if it proves it's worthy after this obviously desperately needed maintenance. :D

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

So much for trying to fix the fill tube. :realmad:

Switched head gear with one off my old plow.
    A-frame BOSS.jpg

A-frame BOSS.jpg

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Seems it has much more age/use/neglect on it than you perceived. It's worth fixing for a back up though. Thumbs Up

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

WOW! Like B&B said. Its worth fixing.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I removed the moldboard off of it and installed on the other headgear I had from the one that bent backward. Not sure if I will fix or sell parts because I am still planning to buy the V-XT when one of my trucks sell. Is a lot of parts I could sell off it that are still good.

And, yes it has/had much more abuse than I could really check. But I needed a moldboard fixed THAT DAY. The price was right and just a new moldboard from BOSS is $1250. I got the entire thing for $1200 and did not lose a day plowing.

Off

off.jpg

On

on.jpg

off.jpg

on.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011