1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I wonder whats wrong with this one? Seems cheap..

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Oshkosh, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel pickup 4x4 - $6295 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 Dodge 5.9 cummings diesel 5 speed clubcab silver.Power programer, front levelers, bilstien shocks, 3:55 gears, 19-20 mpg. new tires, Many new parts, 8 ft bed .

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

A combination of aftermarket parts and it's look tell me it has seen a lot of peddle to the mat.
  3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I agree with Snofarmer.

Look at frame if you see how bad rust.

And you could get vin from that and go to carfax to see what they repair and what it have been replaced.

how many miles on that?
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id be willing to bet its got 175 plus miles
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

what does it have for new parts? what kind of programmer does it have? if it doesn't have a set of gauges reading the engine pyrometers i would stay away. :waving:
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

i have never had problems with any used CTD , and none of them had pyrometers..... you really only need them for the guys the mess with the motors, if it is all stock , it should be fine without-

besides , what would it really tell you anyway.... currently what the temps, and pressures are,....but it will not tell you what the guy did to it in the past...
  7. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

The truck for sale has a programmer, its not stock. Pyrometer, trans temp, and boost guages are one of the first mods that should be done to a truck that isnt stock in the motor department (Fuel pressure gauge isnt a bad idea either) in my opinion. If he was running it with a programmer and no gauges, id be very hesitant.
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

srry , i didnt see the programmer part, i skimmed i t, must have thought power windows....lol:drinkup:

either way , it doesnt tell wha the guy put is truck thru in the past....

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

My bet would be tranny starting to have trouble.

Check it out. Some times some great deals can be found especially at the end of the month. Drive it! Check for codes. Ask if the tranny has been done. If its never been done count on $2500.
  10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

its bc its a cummings and not a cummins.

even if the truck has some problems at that price you could fix it and have a great truck.
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The average owner does not add the mods he did.
    He modded so when he matted it would blow black smoke so all of his friends would think he is cool.= abused and neglected.

JMO... That's what I see...
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm right there with SnoFarmer on this one.

However, with that said, there are some REAL REAL good deals to be made right now with people starting to panic.
  13. TEX

TEX Senior Member

what programer is on there? it may have been put on there just for a little milage and only add 50hp. you shouldnt think that just bc some puts a programer on their truck they run it into the ground. maybe he pulls a lot and the 3.55s wouldnt cut it so he needed a little more hp. the leveling kit is very common and you have to replace the shocks when you do that. (well you should bc you can over extend you stock shocks)
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

tex we are not slamming it because it's a dodge
    Yes it could still have some good life left in her.
    The programmer is not needed.
    I guess the guys that designed it did not program it to run at it's best???

But it looks to be rode hard to me.

I'm just saying that when your going to buy a used truck you look for one that has not been modified or used as a plow truck.

Just because grampus drove it does not mean it was not abused.
    You can find good deals right now I would keep looking.
  15. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

It's a 5 speed. no tranny problems there. and that price would be average around here depending on the mileage. that truck would be a good trailer toter, not the best for plowin snow with though. it would take you a acre and a half to turn that land yaht around!
  16. TEX

TEX Senior Member

how can you know this? you dont even know what kind of programer is on there. not all of them blow big black smoke.

I am not turning this into a pissin contest just sayin yall are assuming so much just bc it has a programer on it. like i said before what kind of programer is it a 300 hp or a 50hp? I understand what everyone is saying about buying a moded truck i get that. it very well may have a fuel dumping programer that dosent control timing or any thing else which would give you the black smoke.
  17. TEX

TEX Senior Member

i dont care if its a dodge or what
    "the programmer is not needed"? again how can you know what this person needed from their truck?

looks rode hard to me----so if it was washed and cleaned up?

"I guess the guys that designed it did not program it to run at it's best???" no they didnt they built it to pass all the EPA, noise, cost, ect....... it has been proven time and time again that with a little mod these diesel engines can run more efficently. which is what its all about not big hp #'s

thanks like said dont take it wrong
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Relax On one is attacking you. No need to yell.;)
    I'm right here.:waving:
    No offense taken.
    we just see this truck through different eyes.

Just for discussion.
    "what kind of programer is it a 300 hp or a 50hp"
    why does he need the added HP?
    The stock Hp is more than enough to put a strain on the drive line why add more?
    It is my opinion. When I see these kinds of mods on any truck that it has been abused.

programmers, they use them to gain HP witch uses more fuel like a fuel programmer.
    Which when turned up and they mat it it blows smoke "the cool factor"
    black smoke = unburnt fuel and lowers your mpg.

I agree that you can safely let this engine gain a few hp with out hurting it at all.
    But again what are you doing that needs more hp than it already has.

That lead me to.
    she looks like she was rode hard and put away wet.

sorry I just see it differentially.
    I would keep looking. ;)
  19. TEX

TEX Senior Member

no harm no foul

you see it different than I and i see it diff than you.
  20. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I say give it a test drive. Check it out. Just because it had a programmer doesn't mean it was abused. I have a 100 hp box on my truck and my truck is in great shape. Programmers can add timing, duration, and pressure among other things. Some of these thing, like pressure in large amounts, are bad. Some of these mods are good, and increase efficiency and actually make the truck run better than stock. The factory programs are junk, junk needed to pass emissions testing. Do you care about that? If yes, take off the programmer. Check on the type or programmer and let us know. It there a hole in the exhaust manifold or an EGT probe in there? What about velcro on top of the fuse box under the hood? Is there play in thr turbo? Maybe it is cheap cause diesel is $4 a gallon and a lot of people are selling them. Maybe this person just lost his job. A Cummins 5.9 is an awesome engine. How many miles on it?