1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I will NEVER buy a FORD again!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Rich Hunter, Jan 5, 2007.

1. I have had 3 a 1984 f- 250 with a plow and it broke down almost every storm! A 03-F-550 for a service truck it was o.k but I had a lot of problems with it! Then I just bought another one for pulling my gooseneck trailer what a piece of junk! 1996 superduty with a powerjoke in it its been broken down so much that we have to use our old 93 cummins with 332000 miles on it.Should have known better after the first 2! Getting ready to buy a new dodge and forget about them crappy FURDS. My old cummins ate brakes like crazy but it was dependable! Then there was a windstar we had for a while got rid of that POS and got a caravan.

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Sound like you aren't understanding of used vehicles. A 1984 F-250 if it's been plowing a while or alot of it's life it's basically a JUNK truck no matter what it is, the F-550 most likely was a 6.0 L Diesel which was arguably the WORST diesel ever made especially in 2003 which was the first year. As for the 1996 that is also getting older and at that point where stuff is going to start going wrong it gets frustrating but it's no reason to give up on a truck or a whole manufacturer! I would agree with the Windstar but they were also well known as a POS from the day they came out!

Not trying to start a fight just playing devils advocate I guess out of boredom from the lack of snow here :cry:

3. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

I might disagree slightly about the fords sucking... my 1999 F450 7.3 was a great reliable truck. However, my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi took more of a beating and never ever gave me problems. Towed 10k lb trailers every day during the summer. Got 60k miles out of my brake pads. Always started for every storm, never hesitated when pulling. Granted it was a Hemi and not a cummins but what a great truck. I think dodge has finally turned things around with the 2003+ heavy duties. Good luck with your new truck, i think you will find that the brakes have been greatly improved

4. In all fairness the f-250 had a 100k on it. The 550 I bought brand new for the buisness and the 96 has only 77k on it and I know where it came from and yes I have been pulling my hair out on it! I only bought it cause it was cheap now I know why! Just never had have good luck with the ford stuff!

5. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Sweet... go get um.

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im a dodge and chevy man for life...

I keep telling myself I will never buy aother ford, since all the problems ive had,vs. problems ive had with dodges (which were 0 with dodge) and almost 0 with chevys (which were only brakes and a hub) other tahn wearable parts.

The only thing holding me back from dodge is that mercades owns 51% of their stock, which makes dodge/diamerchrysler not a member of the big 3 anymore..

I love dodges, and I want one soooooo bad. To bad chrysler can buy theirself back 2% of shares. But then again, if mercades didnt bail them out, i dont know who would have. without mercades, there wouldnt be a crossfire, 300c, or magnum.

7. mark m

mark m Junior Member

84 f-250 rusty but very very trusty always starts and can move a mountain of snow with
    the 429 police intercepter in it. but it loves the gas lol
    sorry about your problems hang in there:salute:

8. Jakkle5

Jakkle5 Member
    from Mass

Typically when you hear stories like this its the man driving the vehicles, not the vehicles themselves.

9. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Good luck with the Caravan, you are going to need it! My neighbor had one, an 04, it went through three transmissions before 50k on it,I am on my second Windstar, the first I sold with 188K on it,it was a 98, I now have an 02 that now has 136K, only thing I have done to it is LOF's, tires & brakes.

10. I dont know about that.My cummins has over 300k on it and runs great although it did start leaking oil out of the front of the engine again.I also have a 87 Ramcharger that I bought brand new and still plow snow with it.My wifes caravan has 120 on it and other than a AC compressor and brakes it works just fine.I found out today my 96 super duty needs a camshaft position sensor. This is after a rebuilt turbo,rear calipers,Raditor that split down the side this summer,alternater, power steering pump and hoses,water pump,switch on the AC compressor,heater core,rear main seal that trashed the clutch,fuel pump,injecters,and it doesnt start when it gets cold after multiple trips to the dealer to fix the problem,Complete reseal on engine because of all the oil leaks and a new computer. I am getting this thing fixed on monday and dumping it before it lets me down again and this truck has only 78k on it and I know where it came from.I have had other ford problems too but I wont go into that.THATS WHY I WONT WASTE MY MONEY ON ANOTHER FORD!

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

the CPS sensor is a 30 second fix with a $50 part. its really not a big deal on that. Sorry about all your other problems, maybe the trucks hasnt been driven enough and alot of the seals went dry causing most of your issues.

Good luck with the cummins, its a great engine

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I will say i'm not thrilled with Ford Trucks. I'm more of a Dodge and Chevy guy, but I do LOVE my F-250 6.0 Powerstroke. Hasnt ever let me down, will probably have it for awhile, but my next truck won't be a Ford...:waving:

13. FINALLY got my furd back turns out the wires under the valve covers were cooked GREAT DESIGN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! Went back to my shop hooked up my gooseneck to deliver some handrail to a job site.Pulled onto the job site stepped on the clutch and NOTHING Friggen slave cylinder went out! DOES IT EVER END? I am truley trading this thing in on a real truck. CTD dodge!

14. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

Rich I think your finally starting to think straight!:dizzy:

15. WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Got rid of that ford the other day and bought a 93 cummins dually 4x4 with 130 k on it .Damn feels good to be home!

16. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

congrats rich hope she does you well for years to come.