1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I was rear ended this am.smashed the spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flykelley, Dec 6, 2004.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

What a way to start the day.
    Wife wakes me at 7:00 says it was snowing. I check and decide I need to go salt. I load the spreader up and head out to get salt. There I am at a red light and BAM. I think what in the he** was that. Glass flew everywhere.
    I get out and check for damage. The spinner assy is junk,bent the cross frame on the spreader. Pushed the spreader into my toolbox which hit the back glass and broke it. I'm about to head out and get new glass,called the ins co and have to wait for a adjuster about the spreader. I hope this isn't going to be a big hassle. I need the spreader fixed or replaced right away.
    Have anyone else have this happen and how was the ins co when it came to dealing with the spreader. I have only run one load of salt through it. Hope the day goes better.

Regards Mike

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Wow that is great start to the day :angry:

did you have a back up or spread by hand

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what insurance company do you have? glad you didnt get hurt and eventually everything will work out.

4. flykelley

I had to spread salt with the walk behind spreader,bet that looked good to my customer. But I got it done. I have Secura as the carrier on the truck. Hope that it goes well. This is my first claim in many years.

Regards Mike :yow!:

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Did they have insurance ? :confused:

6. flykelley

I really don't know. I called the police and they came right out. Got our DL # and ins and reg info. He then went back to his car. About ten mins later he came up to me and handed me all of my stuff and a card with a accident number and said I was good to go. He made the other guy stick around. I am assuming he got a ticket since I was stopped at a red light. He had a older truck so he may have only PLPD coverage on his truck. I do not know how that will impact me since I have full coverage. I think they go after his ins co if he has full coverage. If not then my ins should cover my loss.

Regards Mike

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

give me a call if you get in a jam, your welcome to use my earthway hitch spreader, it plugs into a cig lighter so it is pretty portable

Nate~

8. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

The part that really hurts is you and I live in Michigan, the great no fault state!

You could sue in small claims court for a mini tort, but thats it.

9. flykelley

Thanks Nate for the offer. That is very kind. I talked to the ins co today about prices and parts. I now have to send all the info with pictures to her in Lansing Mi.

Regards Mike

10. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

In Michigan, you can call the other parties Insurance company and tell them you want to file a "mini-torte". You can collect up to 500.00 by taking this action. Usually pretty quick. Then, in parallel, you file the claim with your ins. company. Now, I don't know what your deductible is but the intention is that the 500.00 would cover your deductible. So, you'll be out 500.00 or the amount of your deductible less 500.00 when it's all said and done.

Good luck, give 'em hell.

11. flykelley

Good news Guys
    The ins co just called and they are going to cover the cost to repair the spreader. $1400.00 in parts. I should have it done early next week.

Regards Mike

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

it doesnt matter if both parties in a accident dont have full coverage insurance, if someone hits YOU and its thier fault thier insurance company pays you and you dont have to pay any deductable

your insurance wont go up either

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

liny rob
    it depends on your state. some say that you are partly at fault just for being there. doesnt matter that you are stopped, parked or what ever. the hitter usually pays, but alot of times your premiums go up too.

14. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

never thought I would be saying this- im just "lucky" in New York then

my car was parked at work and a co-worker backed right into the door- his company paid and my rates didnt move, that was a $2400 hit.

another time my girlfreind took my car ( a different one then the above ) to the store and there was a car/motorcycle accident and they slid into my car which was sitting at the intersection at a red light

the car that hit the bike went up in flames melting my mirrors, headlight, the impact wrecked the bumper and fender, all told it was $7000 in damages- again my rates didnt go up and thier company paid including a no-cost to me rental for 32 days.

That would suck bigtime if your rates went up for sitting at a light minding your business or worse yet the car being parked

15. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

Mike,
    The most important thing is you didn't get hurt. The second thing is I hope its your v-pro8000 and it is totaled. If it isn't make sure it is before the adjuster see's it. Take the money and go buy something else. These things don't work even when they aren't slammed in the rear. In addition, you can go third party..meaning notify his ins company that their client struck you in the rear... police report #.... witnesses and so forth... you put the claim in through his ins company not yours..They are still liable to you even if they don't have collision. It may take a bit longer but you can beat paying your deductible and the claim doesn't go on your policy. Also they shouldn't get a ticket for the red..if the officer didn't witness the accident. They possibly could get one for driver inattentive or failure to control veh. however not likely since no serious injury occurred. Good luck and I'm glad you OK.
    Jack

16. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

HOLY CRAP ARE YOU GONA HAVE A HARD TIME!

Little story:

Was parked on the side of a road in a neighborhood this summer. The guys were cutting grass and i was getting something out of the cab of my f150. Anyway i have the driver side door open a little, my chest is toward the side of the seat and im standing on the street.
    I feel this big freaking bank, look back and see a toyota camry driving up my trialer! Last second he vears off the trailer gate takes out the side rail of the triler and the wheels. Continues sideswiping the trailer and my truck! i jump into the cab and he takes my driverside door completley off. This is in a neighboorhood mind you where its posted at 25mph.

ANYWAY to make a long story short i was driving around for about a month until his insurance company finally got me a check. it took them three weeks to send out an adjuster and they only expidited the check after i threatoned legal action.

Take alot of pictures right now. Save the broken parts. Pay for the reparis and later fight it out.