1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I was called a lowballer today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tattood_1, Oct 20, 2012.

1. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I won the bid on a couple of doctor offices today and one of the other contractors called me up saying I lowballed him. Well, come to find out he told me what he bid, and I was only $10 cheaper. I told him maybe if he didn't go out and buy new trucks, plows, and spreaders every year maybe he wouldn't have to charge so much. I also told him $10 is hardly lowballing him. I just don't get it, if you want new equipment and have to charge more than me, you don't have any reason to be mad at me. I don't have new stuff, but it's far from junk, so I don't have to charge as much to make more profit.Guess everyone has their own idea of what a lowballer is.Okay, I'm done with my little rant.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yep,definitely a lowballer.
  3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Dude I wouldnt sweat it. Some people get stupid ideas in there head and act on them. He is just mad and now he is sitting at home fealing like a idiot. Its just good business. He should be happy that you guys are only $10 apart and not $1000.Thumbs Up
  4. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Thinkng back, I guess it didn't help that I laughed when he told me I was only $10 less. I actually felt bad at first thinking I might have undercut him big time, but $10, life goes on. Just made me mad that he actually called me an yelled about it. I try and charge as much as possible, I like money, lol.
  5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

It's free enterprise he may call you a low baller but if you can provide a quality service at a better price and at the end of the day can make a profit I would call you a business man.
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How long have you been plowing?
  7. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Going on 6 years on my own. Helped a guy for 3 years before that.
  8. WIPensFan

Thanks. Good luck with the accounts.
  9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That's an interesting concept...call other contractors, then call them a lowballer so they reveal their bid, just to see how much they need to beat you by next year.
  10. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Never thought of that. He might of got me on that. Guess I will just have hope my performance out shines his from last year.
  11. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

The word LOWBALLER is being thrown around a lot lately, Someone help me get this straight. If I out bid a guy to do a job, I'm a lowballer, even though I have no idea what he bid it at. If I bid higher that that guy, I'm a broke guy with no work. What am I missing?
  12. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

It is always best to be the middle man. As some say, Slow and steady wins the race.
  13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That's how we learn.Something tells me though, he may have projected a disposition to your new client as well, which may not have even mattered what his price was. Focus on your relationship and deliver great service, because if he left a bitter taste in their mouth, they may not be interested in the risk of subjecting their staff to someone like that again. Doctors don't usually split hairs, if they're the decision maker...they also generally pay in a reasonable time frame.
  14. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I will 2nd that commentussmileyflag
  15. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I agree and 3rd that.

I have mainly switched over to snowblowing a development I have been in for 22 yrs.Guys laugh at me since my son and I are doing 40 drives.We average 12-14 drives per hour.There are no snow piles,no torn up turf and the walk way and front of garage are clean.And the clowns with the plows wonder why they can't get any of my work.I also have not advertised in 21 yrs and must turn work down.I am also far from a low baller.Guys try low balling me and lose.
  16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I was amused that somebody would call the competition to ***** at them for competing, but this makes more sense.

17. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

ive been plowing this very small church now for 6 years last year this guy came in and threw in a bid on the place for snow removal. hes a new guy in town, i plow this church in the winter time and mow and trim in summer. he threw a bid in and came in at the same price i did within 45 dollars, except my price includes the mowing his does not. yes i admit i do the mowing for pennies only because of their $$$ situation and it takes me 10-15 mins to mow and trim and i drive by doing my mowing route anyways. well he called me up and called me a lowballer saying that i was going around and giving ppl way to low of prices just so he couldnt get any work. gotta love the newbies and the ones who cant wrap their head around pricing. and most of all this is a world of competition hey all i know is i make a profit on every account i have
  18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Congratulations and welcome to the lowballers club. I have been accused by many on this site for being a lowballer, and then by many more for being a smart business man. There is no better feeling when I am awarded a new contract and I find out I was just dollars below the next guy. Just like it really hurts when I loss a contract being just above the lowest price. Best case scenario is coming in just below your competition, or being way over their price showing them how much money they left on the table. Just this past week lost a government run old folks home, my price $14,856.00, price it went for $3,858.00 with no one in between. I am sure that guy has been kicking himself for leaving that much on the table. I am not bothered the least with his price. Now had I lost it for $10.00 difference, that would have really hurt. When I price accounts, there are many factors that come into play. Have I ever lowballed on purpose, yes I have, but it was a strategic plan. My pricing is no ones business but my own, all I can tell you is I do well in snow.:drinkup:
  19. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Coldcoffee beat me to it but, I'm thinking that the $ maybe didn't matter, the doctors office didnt like the other guy(maybe he an azzhole or late or sloppy ect) So now you got the account, make sure you go the extra mile to keep this customer happy by providing a great service & a easy to work with attitude.
  20. WIPensFan

I understand what your saying with great service and easy to work with attitude, but really these days most of the time( not always, but most ) price is all that matters. Don't ever get fooled into thinking these people really like me and I get along great with them....If you're the higher bid next go round, you're out and the cheaper guy is in.