1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I was blessed today...or so I was told

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Jan 21, 2012.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Last stop of the afternoon, my 2nd of 2 senior living facilities I plow. I had already plowed and salted, finished the walks but came back to plow where the cars were. To my surprise, and briefly my entertainment, I see this Dodge Dakota...with a homesteader plow and a salt spreader, squatted from all the salt in the back. 50lb bags stacked up to the top of the bed rails. This guy's driving around like a nut scraping off slush and pushing my piles back. I block the entrance and he stops.
    "can I help you sir?" He says
    "I was wondering the same thing, since I'm the hired contractor for this site." I reply.
    "I'm doing this for free...you should be thankful"

This didn't set well with me and I informed him for liability reasons I can't have him plowing this property, ripping up the grass...etc. He told me that he is a professional, he knows what he's doing and so on. Then tells me I shouldn't be upset and I should consider him an angel, and he works for the bishop. Now...all that may be true but I don't really think the Bishop is going to pay for the grass to be replaced, seeing as I'm responsible for it in the spring. Then he informs me that some day I'm gonna need him and he won't help me. He then gives me two loafs of bread...because he gives food to the hungry when he's not plowing. Then he leaves. I'm not really sure what to make of all this...just the strangest thing that has ever happened to me...EVER.

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have 70 accounts he can come and do for me, today is the day I need this guy.

Plus, its diner time.

J.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could of made it a union job,you sleep in your truck while he plows in his.

PS he bring any lunch meat with that bread?

4. JTVLandscaping

no...I wouldn't want it anyway, the bread was old and hard. It's going out for the deer to eat.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure he meant well, just be polite and suggest he help someone who really needs their driveway plowed.

If that's the strangest thing that's ever happened, you have much left to see.

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I love it, especially about the bread! I have an old city church we picked up a few years back. 4 city blocks if sidewalk, tons of stairs and long walkways, ect. 2 nd time we do this property, my sidewalk guys are about half done and a troop of 20 kids show up with shovels. Told my guys to go on to the property next door and get started. No soon than they do the minister runs out and want us to get back on the church, the kids are doing their day of service for the year for the church. He did not think they would be done in time for services to start! Just had to laugh!

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had this happen to me last year, we plow a local chain of tire/repair shops. One day a friend of mine calls me and asks why I have someone plowing in one of their parking lots, I told him I don't. He says, well someones in there (9am on a weekday mind you). It was sunny out and the parking lot was bare pavement. So I called the owner at that store and asked whats going on, he tells me this guy wants this account so bad he does this for free....wth? I called one of the other owner's and said hell no! First off he made your melted off parking lot slippery again, second I'm not responsible for any damage what-so-ever this year and lastly, your taking a huge risk and we have the contract. The whole thing was like a Twilight Zone episode.

8. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i had someone plowing one of my accounts before we could get there and the owner doesn't even know who is doing it either. boy will the person be surprize when he doesn't get paid for the plowing he's doing for me. i have contract with owner

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

He works in mysterious ways.......

10. JTVLandscaping

I tried to be as nice as I could...I thanked him for his intent, but it's just such a big risk for me. The part was so weird was that he gave me bread. My belief is if Jesus is back somewhere, he understands liability and insurance, afterall he was a contractor himself.

11. grandview

By making it snow on your per push contracts and no snow on your seasonals!

12. grandview

That was before product liability lawyers got involved.

13. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

thats a funny story... people are just odd sometimes...

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ha! Thumbs Up

15. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

i had an account that i didnt plow yesterday. they were late on three payments. some guy that had a kid going there for lessons decided he would clean all the runs and open up the front by the door. i stopped him and said what the hell you doing. He said whoever is suppose to clean this lot must have forgot or broke down. im doing them a favor. I said no this guy has not payed me in three months. more like you are doing him a favor and totaly ruining the point i am trying to prove!:realmad:

16. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

no it is not a liability issue for me. contract is pretty bullet-proof that if not payed within 15 days of due date i can stop services and the owner becomes completely liable.

17. JTVLandscaping

No pay...no plow.