1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I want to speed up my idel on my 5.7

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Dec 28, 2009.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I got a 98 chevy 1500 5.7 and @ night with heat,lights ect. my idel is about 500rpms and I wanna raise my idel to 700rpms or so to keep my volt gage up there, how hard/easy is it to do this? Thanks

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

700 RPM won't get many more amps from the alternator... Look for something that gets you to at least 1,000 to 1,200 RPM.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Upgrade to a bigger alternator that puts out good amps at idle

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

No snow means No money flow. so I want something that will be a cheap fix till winter gets here! lol I want to upgrade to the 145amp alt. that will help Im sure, but can I idel it up with a screw?

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Don't it hurt transmission with high idle it like shift hard when you put in D/R gear

I rather keep 500 rpm to avoid destroy transmission VS alternator that cost $145 to upgrade.

Or you could change pulley to smaller that will work.

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Find a brick?

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

a brick? wtf? Im lookin for an idel screw, kinda like on the old Q-Junks, mine is a tbi I beleive?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's no idle adjustment provisions on the Vortec engines. Yes they idle a little low and they're designed to. Sounds like you're ready for some charging system upgrades. Or lighten the load.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict