1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I want to cry... (Don't let this be your truck)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Waterboss, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

Fire Dept inspector determined the block heater failed. What a bite. Passing cop on patrol noticed the fire and alerted us at about 1:00 AM this morning... When your stuff is burning it seems like forever 'till the firemen show up. Fortunately no one hurt and they kept my garage from burning. Plow was not hooked up. This will be fun when the claims adjuster shows up tomorrow. Not.

2. pusher21

pusher21 Member

Wow that sucks. what kind of truck was it?
  3. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

that sucks....what year and model was the truck? was that your truck or a clients?
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Well that sucks
  5. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

That was my personal truck. "02 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with the D-max and Allison. Plow is a Boss 8" Superduty. It was parked alongside/ just forward of my detached garage . Got my wife's mazda Protege 5 moved just in time. I only plow my house and Mom and Dad's, so no commercial stuff and I'm not up the creek with customers. I work for the Dept. of Public Works and plow the roads in the village here. Timer was set to kick the block heater on at midnight for my ride to be warm at 3:00 AM. Heavy Duty timer it was on didn't malfunction and breaker the circuit was on tripped. Was plugged into a heavy duty lighted end cord as well.
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

That's a Real Bummer! Hope the insurance comes through for you!
  7. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

not to put salt in the wound but why would the block heater need to be on for 3 hours?
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

To warm it up??? just a guess...

btw, when you get a new truck... make sure it's a ford:D sorry bout' the fire
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Dang it you beat me to it

Thats what I was going to say
  10. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

When it's cold out (below 20F) I found that it helps my truck start a lot easier. Still was on the two original factory batteries. Glad I didn't replace them or buy too many spare parts. Factory owner's manual recommended amount if time too. Yes, I actually do what the manual says to do, I'm kind of a dork like that.
  11. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

man that sucks :( I keep my truck plugged in at night on colder nights guess I am stopping that starting today, I also have a 93 benz diesel that I dont plug at all fearing this would happen to it

hope the insurance pays for it and the new truck should be a real diesel truck ( cummins ) haha
  12. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

i know what a block heater does....we have class 8 trucks that we only plug in for 1 hour and they fire right up. and they are twice the size in cubic inches and only have 3 batteries. and that's after sitting for many weeks in 10 - 20 degree weather. did that truck have glow plugs?
  13. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

sorry to hear about your truck

at least it was the only thing that was destroyed
  14. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

That sucks man. Thankfully it was only the truck. Best of luck to you.
  15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sucks about your truck. Hope the insurance comes thru for you and as quick as possible as we all know it can snow at anytime.
  16. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i would have cried. you would have heard me sobbing in the background
  17. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

Thanks for all the sympathy. I don't post much, but I knew you guys would understand. Yeah, It had glow plugs, and I had tried the cycling them twice deal, but found that plugging it in let it spin right over and not sound like a bucket of bolts, so that was what I had always gone with for the cold temps. Above 20F it didn't get plugged in. Was a fine plan till last night. I'll try and upload some aftermath pics tomorrow eve. Gotta finish getting stuff together for the adjuster and hit the hay.
  18. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

sorry to hear about that man.. goodluck getting it sorted out
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you start a thread about your experience.
  20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Are we really going to debate why the truck was plugged in? ******** a$$ question if you ask me. 1 hour wouldn't do sh!t, plus 10-20* isn't cold.....I sure hope they start!. They (Dmaxes) start just fine cold, it's just nice to hop in a warm truck, period. I've never once plugged my 05 in this year and it pops off instantly in below 0 temperatures. 1 hour or 48 hours, who cares? Plugged in overnight, my 03 reads 160F on the edge. It's nice to hop in and go.

The Ford comment was stupid too b/c it's not as if it couldn't happen to any other brand..... although I know it was a joke.

Sorry to hear about your loss waterboss.........hopefully you get reimbursed well.

Edit, LOL, good one Dave!
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009