1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I want a reliable tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LushLawns, Oct 19, 2013.

1. LushLawns

LushLawns Junior Member

Like it says, I would like hear your opinions backed by facts on your choice of tailgate spreaders. I will be using bagged salt, I have 12 lots 3 which are about 2 acres the rest are all smaller than a half acre. This will be my only spreader other than a walk behind JIC this one goes down. I do have two other trucks I can put the spreader on if the truck goes down. I should also mention I'd prefer to have a spreader that mounts just to the receiver hitch of the truck. I may even go with one of the new remotes just for added ability of being able to take it from truck to truck. I may even have one truck hard wired i Like back ups!

I've been looking at the SnoEx575, the Boss TGS600, SnoWay 6 cubic ft,
    Salt Dogg TGS03. these are a few Ive been considering. I could go with a low capacity unit it just seems to me the smallest units seem to be small on performance and features that keep them running appropriately.

I dont want a huge tailgate Salter Salt Dogg TGS07.

I look forward to hearing your experiences. xysport

2. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Interested as well. Looking to upgrade out tailgate salters this year.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Western 1000

Had one that I used for over 9 years and still worked like new when I sold it. Never replaced one part on it. Greased the bottom bearing after each use and the top bearing every 25 hours of use. Over loaded it as far as what the suggested capacity was and always served me well.

If you want to use it on 2 trucks just buy 2 harness' and have one installed in second truck. Controller can be switched over with the salter. Thumbs Up

Had my BOSS dealer tell me not to buy the BOSS salter and that was all he sold so that told me something right there. Maybe they have improved there tailgate salters by now as that was 8 years ago.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We used a Fisher 1000 for years with zero problems especially when we ran bagged salt. We added a small vibrator to it and ran bulk through it for 2 seasons then upgraded to a v box. Thats going to be a real pita doing all that salting with a tailgate spreader but do what ya got to do. But again, you can't go wrong with a Fisher 1000 or like Reaper said, a Western 1000 (same thing).

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Snowex 575 or 1075. They are bullet proof.

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Have to third the Western 1000/Fisher 1000/Blizzard LP-8 ... they just don't die or go through parts. We sell them and never see 'em again unless they guy has it on when picking up his salt. Good rigs.

7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I have Snowex 575 and Sno way 9cf. I prefer the Snowex due to lower profile, easier to load. Both have been great machines with just normal servicing.

If I remember right, Snowex has a wireless controller now for the bigger units. I would think you could run a power supply pretty easy to the spreader on all trucks, with a wireless controller. I could not see paying for 3 setups for 1 spreader.

I have even thought with a wireless controller, just upgrade my power to the trailer plug for the required amps.

8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Had 2 Boss tailgaters and was great. I crashed one and the other I have for a backup since I just bought a v-box last week. I left harness and controller for it still hooked up.

9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Buyers TGS05B with swing mount. You can get the whole thing delivered from Angelo's. Put a vibrator on it and you'll be able to run anything you want through it. We have two, one has probably had over 200 ton through it. We love ours.

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Some good options here.

>I hated the western 2000. Horrible!
    >Loved the snow way 9cf. Had two - works awesome.

All tail gates may have up ticks and problems. 6cf will be too small for you. You need to keep it clean, lubed.

Most hate theirs when they let the salt rock up over night.

With your size you might want to even consider the salt dogg 1.5 yard v box. It's electric, works great, easy and reliable. Good price point too.

11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I've run Snowex 575 for years without issue. I liked that size for my excursion because it didn't require straps or anything extra to hold it besides the hitch. I ran a 1075 for 2 seasons but it really needed some straps to keep it stable when loaded. ( i used the hitch mount) It was also a great spreader. I don't have any input on other brands since that all i ever used though.

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

There are a lot of great units these days, how well they hold up really depends on you. I think you need to tear them down after 2-3 seasons (ideally every season after use), because there are places that salt hides that you can't clean well no matter how well you pressure wash them...especially the dual auger type systems.

The best thing that I ever did was spend a little extra & replace all the fasteners with stainless steel. It makes it a breeze to disassemble the next time around, especially if something locks up on you at 4:00 AM. There are the occasional rocks & pieces of steel (from the cutters of mining equipment) that sometimes get through and jamb the auger.

I have a SnowEx1875 on it's forth season, it does everything that I want it to do. I will not let salt sit inside of any spreader for obvious reasons, which is why I tend to avoid the tub insert type of units. I don't mind shoveling to fill the unit, as opposed to knowing at some point a tub of salt will freeze up under the right conditions.

There is something to be said for the Western and Boss units that can be mounted/dismounted with one person...just roll it into place and click, click...it's on. I've heard good things about those units as well.

Greasing bearings regularly will save a lot of heartache down the road on any unit that requires grease. A somewhat serious user who drops a lot of material (bulk) will probably be using one of these type of units...if they have reason to stay w/ a gate type of spreader and not upgrading to something bigger. If only using bags, it may be overkill & not worth the extra expense.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A complete wash down after every use, yearly tear down, (clean everything, a new coat of paint) and SS fasteners with anti-seize.
    I have a 8yr old Meyer with a vibrator that I run bagged and bagged / sand mix through that won’t die, it’s all about maintenance.

14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You are going to salt 10 acres with a tailgate unit?

15. procut

procut Senior Member

I would cast my vote for Snowex. I've had/had Western and Buyers/Salt Dogg spreaders and they have not impressed me much at all compared to the snowex.

I agree though, that is going to be a lot of salting with one tailgate spreader, especially if your using bagged material.

16. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

snowex

I've had really good luck with our SnowEx salters. Been using them many years and even though they are not the cheapest, they do work year after year.

Feel free to call if you want any personal input on the product. We run several of them.

17. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I bought a Snowex 1075 with the swing a way mount last year and ran a pallet and a half through it with no issues. Very easy to instal and use and the swing a way mount is epic. I can still use the bed all season without lifting things over the side. It also holds 8-9 50# bags so you can spread for awhile before you need to fill it again.

18. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

X 2. At least get a small v box that can hold 1.5 yards. Time is money. Switch to bulk salt and it will quickly pay for itself just on the salt savings alone.

19. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

Does anyone have any experience with the Meyers 400 unit for a guy who would only be using this a handful of times a year? The snoex575 would run 1500 bucks, and the Meyers 400 would be around 800. Anybody using these?

The snoex unit looks like it would run 1500 bucks, plus 250 for shipping to get it here. I can order the meyer 400 through home depot and pick it up locally. Complete newb to the salt spreading business, and have spent the last few hours on the searches....LOL...so give me some insight if possible, thanks in advance

20. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

We run many SnowEx spreaders are are very happy with them. They do cost more to purchase, but the overall cost per hour and return on investment is awesome.