1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i want a back drag blade :(

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 16, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

sure would be nice....

at least i might get extensions. thatl help

2. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Back drag blades are handy for ice, really makes no difference with pulling out snow.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I think western should make one using there wideout blade Think it would be a top seller I know I buy one

4. birddseedd

actualy they do make a pretty big difference

the blade has a 70 degree angel on the ground. this makes it cut down into the snow. going in reverse however has a 110 degree angel. what this means is when you back blade snow gathers under the edge pushing it up. think of cutting with a knife, vs rubbing the knife backwards, it can only cut in one direction.

a backup blade however, gives you that 70 degree angel back.

i am not so sure that this is a problem with most lots as i only back blade the edges (first and last couple parking spots) and curv in front blading the majority of it.

what i find i have to do with drive ways however is back blade the majority of the snow, then front blade to scrape the pavement, then back blade again to remove what i scraped clean. and of course, when you drop it to back blade you drop what you pushed off of the plow, so i end up having to drop the blade, raise, drive forward, drop and back up again.

5. birddseedd

actually there's a company that makes a back blade some say is better than westerns.
    western mounts it behind the edge, leaving a very small amount of space between the edge and the back edge. its said snow builds up in this small space and puts pressure on the edge.

i dono. never really used it. http://www.backdragblades.com/ is the one i was shown

there is another one, the edge sits on a hinge that is loose when you go forward, and grabs backward, that way you have full pressure on the forward edge going forward, and full pressure going backward, again. i dono if any of this is true in practice. it makes sense. but iv never used either.

6. Antlerart06

I was talking about wish western would make rear pull plow and use there wide out design 8'-10'

7. birddseedd

you mean the kind you attach to the back of the truck. that would be prett cool.

callem and ask them for it. or come up with a new design and get rich yourself

8. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Valid Point, thanks! wesport

9. birddseedd

meh. im just a newb

10. Antlerart06

I told a rep he said would be good idea He going pass on it on and that was last winter

11. birddseedd

If i designed one and built 2 would you pay for the costs of the 2nd one?

iv thought about doing it to my front blade, but would like to have one on the back aswell.

12. Antlerart06

Thanks on the offer But if western made one I buy one Down the road if I come across a cheap used Wideout I might try build one myself
    I did one for my ATV and it was fun doing I used a Front Snow plow made it a pull plow What I learn on this project will help me on future projects

13. birddseedd

it woudlent be too hard. jsut but hydrolics behind the blade that hold the sides and move in and out with more blade length up agianst the back or front side of the plow

14. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

Ive wanted something like this for a couple years now. I dont do a lot of driveways, but I do-do a 6 place parking area that is surrounded by railroad timbers and driveways that lead up to a garage or house with limited areas to push off to the side. Depending on snow type and depth, the blade often times rides up onto the snow im trying to back drag. Gets annoying and makes for passes and work for the plow and truck.
    I had emailed them last year (backdragblades) and I want to say the blade was $200-$300 +shipping I think, but I could be wrong. Sure would be nice though. Only thing Im not crazy about is adding more weight to the front. Is there such thing as a poly cutting edge? perhaps i could fab my own lighter version

15. birddseedd

if you are talking about backdragblades.com im hoping to have one soon. his looks to be made of thinner metal than the high carbon cutting edge so it should be relativity light. i can let you know what i think of the weight after i check it out. maybe today.

16. ieetgluu

ieetgluu Member

awesome that would be great. was i close on the price if you dont mind my asking?

17. birddseedd

200 ish i believe. not sure when i cqn get it tho. broke as it gets till customers pay :)