1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i wanna hear some stories

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by YenkoCamaro, Feb 23, 2004.

1. YenkoCamaro

YenkoCamaro Junior Member

ok, i just needed to tell you thisfunny story that happened yesterday while plowing. I was driving down the road to another account and the road that i was on is sloped down to a red light. i was going about 35-40MPH (speed limit) and the light turned red. that piece of road was all ice. there was a car infront of me and i knew i wasn't gonna stop in time. so i made a choice. i could turn into the snowbank or hit the car. So i chose the snowbank. well, my son decided to come alongwith me yesterday and fell asleep. so when it hitsthe snow bank it woke him up and as we went through it he was terrified he didn't know what was going on so after we stoped i noticed that he had pissed his pants!! LOL just had to tell that to someone!!

2003 Ford F-350 Diesel w/ 10' fisher
    2000 chevy 2500 HD w/ 8' Boss V
    1992 Mazda w/ 6.5 front western and 6.5 rear drift buster
    1998 New Holland LS 180 W/ box
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Here is a story that happen to me a few years back. It was the beginning part of a storm. It was starting out as an ice event. I was out salting walks. I was driving to one of my accounts and the vehicle 100 feet in front of me decides he going to stop at the intersection as the lite turns yellow. He slams on his brakes hits the curb and drain gutter but manages to get stopped. I hit my brakes but relieve that the road is a sheet of ice, so I drop the blade to see if that will help get me stopped. I almost get my vehicle stopped and I slide gently into the VW bug in front of me. My blade puts a small crease in the back hatch of the bug. Now I realize that no matter what in a rear end accident that the driver in back is at fault. I suggest to the bug owner that we move our vehicles off the street, because it is a sheet of ice. The bug owner wants his to remain where it is, so the cops can see exactly what happen. I on the other hand say screw it and move my truck into the parking lot next to where we are. Soon a cop pulls up, now remember it's still drizzling and the streets getting even slicker. The cop pulls up slowing behind the bug bounces off the curb a few times and just gets the cruiser stopped before hitting the bug. The officer gets out and starts discussing with the bug owner about getting the vehicles off the street. OK, here comes the good part. 30 seconds later here comes a 18 wheeler, traffic lite turns yellow, 18 wheeler hits brakes, tires lockup, semi jack knifes, semi slams cop car, cop car slams into bug. Both cop car and bug are totaled. All 3 of us(cop, bug owner and myself) stand there watching in amazement. I get off with no ticket and get out of all the damage I did to the bug. Semi driver was unhurt. This was one of those situations where I just got lucky.
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

wow what a dumbass, get the car out of the middle of the road. I hate it when people have accidents and sit there in the middle of the road and expect everyone to go around them and their car being there alomst causes ten more accidents:angry: That guy in the VW deserved to get slammed its a good thing no one was hurt. Too bad for the cop and the semi driver though. At least someone was smart enough to get their truck off the road. Any damage to truck or plow?
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

No damage to either truck or plow.
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Unless there is someone hurt or heavy damage or its not in the way of traffic they should get off the road.The problem is with so many people trying to get lawsuits the cops need to get an accurate report and people like to change stories once the cars are moved.
  6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I drove up on an accident early this season. This kid (no offense cj) In a brand new Dodge had slid into and pushed a car through an intersection and into a hedgerow. There he stood in the middle of a state highway (rural) intersection. His girlfriend confided in me that since it drove so well in the snow, they thought it would stop quick too! While he was cursing himself out I told the girl to move the truck or risk getting killed. Same B.S. about waiting for the cops. I said cops do this everyday and that they would figure out what happened.
    Unlike jt's story this intersection was virtually flat and it was only snowing. Here in upstate NY people think that 4x4 equals total safety! Too bad they don't know anything about inertia.
  7. cja1987

QUOTE JElmWin:This kid (no offense cj)

No offense taken you don't have to worry about offending me it does not happen to easily, say what you want about kids it does not bother me any. I know that alot of kids are not as responsible as they should be.:D
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had plowed about 10 hours, night into day.
    I was at a gas station had just fueled and got a big coffee. My 13 year old son's with me. A skimpily dressed women walks in front of the truck and shes a 9.5 at least! I notice son's watching her like a wolf looking at a bunny! At the same time I am getting a warm feeling in my groin. Umm, OH baby! it gets warmer, then all of a sudden, HOT,HOT,HOT coffee all over the groin. Son about wet himself laughing at Dad.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I was about to make mention of this being a family site till I got to the end ;) Now THAT was funny! :drinkup:
  10. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Haha! Thats a good one Micki!

About four years ago I was in school full time and going home on the weekends to plow. Seemed like every accumulation was on Friday and Saturday nights that year, which worked well for me because I needed the money. On my way home one Friday, the Mass turnpike was shut down and only open to users at their own risk. I was putting along in my truck (had a 97 F150 4x4) at a conservative 40 mph, since there was about 4-5 inches on the road, not yet plowed. On my right, a woman passed me doing 60-70 mph. Not much further down the road I saw her in a ditch, so I pulled over, got the chain out of the back of my truck, and pulled her out. She thanked me and we went on our way. As soon as I got going again, she passed me. Full steam ahead! Another 10 minutes down the road, she was in the ditch off to the right again. This time she was facing the wronhg direction and it looked as though there was some damage to the nose of her explorer. I pulled over again, making a point to look and act annoyed, and got the chain out. I preceded to let loose and tell her that because she has 4 wheel drive she is not invincable and it should be painfully obvious. She sped by me again (I was actually going very slow now) and almost within sight of the second mishap, she dumped it again. This time I motored right by her. I felt bad about it as she was alone and probably scared so I called 911 and told them the situation.
  11. MOE

MOE PlowSite.com Veteran

crashz- You're an angel for even stopping the second time. I would have got out just to yell at her and than driven off !
  12. cja1987

Last december i was going to plow for a friend who was in Florida he lives two towns over from me. I was driving down a vary narrow one way, city street. The street was windy with parked cars on each side. I has the plow angled and was crawling along as i had to keep checking how much clearence i had on either side. I did not think i would make it down the street. Then I see a guy in a little jetta backing around the corner at about 20 mph. I stop and see that hes aiming at an empty space beside me. So i decide to be nice and back up a little so he can get in the space. This guy could not drive!!!!! He was trying to parallel park between cars and the space was pretty big. Well each time he backed up he would turn the wheel way too soon and end up sticking 2/3 of the way into the street about 4 feet from the curb (the street could not have been more than 8 feet wide with the cars. After literally 20 trys he got close enough to the curb maybe a foot away for me to attempt to go buy him. So I start rolling foward again trying to see if iam going to clear the cars. He was in reverse when i started. I start to steap on the gas to get by him fast once i know i have room and he comes shooting back out back out right into the rt angled plow almost pulling me into the car parked in front of him. No damage to the plow and i narrowley missed the parked car. He had a long, deep scratch on his car from the plow. I got out and he asks me what the Fu** iam doing trying to go around him. I explained to him that he could not drive and i had waited 5 mins for him to get it right and he did not. I told him that the polite thing to do would have been to go around the block as he had a line of traffic building up behind him and take another stab at it. He was still mad and called me a "loser plowboy". I just got in the truck and took off i was not going to argue with him since there was no damage. Well after i finished plowing the driveway i went back to see if he was done yet. He was done parking but still sticking halfway out. It was getting dark and not much traffic was around. Two more cars that were parked on the street had left and there was a couple big snowpiles redily available. Needless to say i spent 5 minuites burying that little car as best could. As iam leaving he notices me and comes running out of his house on his cell phone calling the cops. I could not get out of there fast with the plow and narrow road so i backed down a cross street into a driveway and took off as he was trying to get my liscense plate#.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  13. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Oh my god.....those were funny as hell! CJ....it seemed like logical thing to do, I mean an @$$hole's car, a couple of snowbanks; I would have done the same thing, not a thing differently! Once again......funny as hell!

CHEVYPLOWDUDE Junior Member

i was driving down a small streat to plow a house i see a bmw sliding sideways and sliding all over coming head on to wards me so i stop and start backing up to get out his his way fig hed see me i beep the horn he slides his driver door in to my plow and the plow goes thro the door/ window no one was hurt ext his 2003 bmw and and a lil scrach on my plow was his fault
  15. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I was plowing a very small drive for the 2nd time. My plow has to be in the scoop or v position otherwise it wont fit. Well, i just back dragged away from the garage and was back out to turn around. Was watching the passengers side, making sure i didnt hit the neighbors fence. Suddenly whhhaaamm, i hit my drivers mirror on the corner of the customers house. That pissed me off but luckily no damage done. So i turn around and back into the drive. Again im watching the passengers side, and again, wwwhhhaaamm. again i hit the drivers mirror, this time on the neighbors fence. No damage to the fence but i cracked the plastic cover over the light on my mirrow. And heard about it for the next 2 weeks from the other guys out plowing. ooh well. :D :D
  16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

When i was 13 and 14 years old i helped my best friends dad plow parking lots. I ran the Cat 980 with 24' box, my friend a JD 610 with 18' box, his 11 years old brother ran the Bobcat 743 with 2 yard snow bucket, his dad the 10 wheel Mack and his wife the 6 wheel ford. All of his employees ran their own trucks so he would have all of use drive. I wasn't complaining at $45 an hour. Well we had this snow then ice then snow again. The rubber cutting edges couldn't get past the layer of ice. So we took them off and were running the buckets on the pavement. Well I dropped the bucket and started going across the lot. Then i heard a bang, the another one and again and again. I figure the bucket was just bouncing off the ground. When i lift up the bucket i dumped snow and about 20 of those moveable concrete stops. So when summer came we just put them back.

One friend of mine had a guy who owed him $400 for snow, the guy claimed he didn't want it done and he didn't have the money. So the next bug storm (18 inch) i paid $50 to the plow guy in a loader to take all of the snow in the 1/2 mile long road and pile it in the guys driveway (he wasn't home) Well i got a call about moving this pile. Since not truck could do it. I charged him $800 in cash up front. Funny he seem to have the cash and a new car. It took me two hours to dig out. So i made $150 in normal plowing pay, $200 in profit, spend $50 and gave the other $400 to my friend so he could put food on the table.

I have pulled people out with my tractor. One guy missed his street in the blinding snow by 50 feet into a ditch and i got $100 in my pocket. I run a bright orange Kubota tractor (my truck 2wheel drive and all my accounts are 2 miles from the shop) I still have had people try to run me over. At night i got 4 light foward, two back, plus the orange warning light and tail lights. I also was clearing one of the private drives in my neighorhood and this guy couldn't wait another 2 mins to let me finsh. He came down the road and hit the bucket of my tractor trying to get by. Lucky my one customer saw it happen. The guy claimed i hit him. Funny since the snow blowers is on the back and you have to go in reverse to use it. The snowblower was still in the snowbank. I always take my digial camara with me. I showed the guy the pics i took while he was calling the cops. The cop that showed up laugh when i show him the pics.
  17. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ok guys ive been plowing since the late 70's started out of high school worked with friends ,partners ,and family have had as many as 7 plows running at once and a group of kids running atv's and just plain shovels lots of fun every time but the stories that are the best are the times iam alone just cleaning up or checking on props. have had many stories to tell but the best are the times i just plow them under the jerks are out everytime .my stuff has all the cool stuff if you cant see us you must be blind flashing lights radios backup alarms ect. most of the stories go like this guy in hurry parks in the path of long run or in fornt of stockpile sees that iam working but just acts like he has the right to stop me but i dont get mad i just get even i wait till iam done and plow them in and sit back and wait for them to see how they get out most of our work is late at nite and normal people sleep then but iam up working it may take awhile to find them but i get them so if you use this do three things. 1NEVER touch the car or get close to do any damage.2 take pics. (all my rigs have comps. and digtal cams or web cams i like to see whats going on with drivers ). 3 take extra time to clean up around them to show that they are in the way. prop owners cant ***** if they see that the driver is at fault. 2 foot of snow is nothing to us but to the guy that has no shovel its hell to dig it out LOL>>>>>
  18. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

My ex-wife decided too go out in an ice storm. an hour later she calls me screaming that she was in the ditch up the road, mind you she was driving a 88 nissan 200sx. Well I get there and push in out and hand her the keys to my van and I decide to drive the nissan home. well about 100 feet down the road she spins the van around and stops in the middle of the road, I stop to see if shes ok and as I close the door on the car I watch the car slide sideways into the ditch taking out a mailbox along the way. $100 later after having the car pulled and paying for a mail box we where on our way home.
  19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A buddy and I were out cruising one night during a freezing rain event. We are out in the National Park when we come across a Ranger and her cruiser in the ditch on this nasty hill. We get out and I am smoking a cigarette as we are talking to the Ranger.
    Without a thought I flick my cigarette into the woods right in front of the Ranger. My buddy turns to me and says:
    "Smokey wouldn't like that!"
    We bust out laughing the Rangers laughing the hardest. Just then my truck that's in park with the parking brake set, breaks loose and starts to slide down the hill. I take off running and chase it 150 yards down the hill sliding on my butt.As we both slide to a stop all I can hear is laughing, then :: Hey you OK? We hooked up my yank strap and pulled her out and up the hill, the Ranger was still laughing when we left.
  20. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

closest I ever came to a accident:

1 had a guy speed by me on the road, cuts me off 10 feet in front of me. As he finished cutting me off, the started spinning, we both were doing 45mph in the snow. I though he was dead, I thought I was going to kill him at 45mph and 12,000 heavy with my truck. I lowered my blade and angled it. his miror hit my blade guide on the drivers side as he slid past. I just mist him. About 500 feet back in my mirror I think 2,3 drivers were not as lucky.

2. I had a jogger run behind my truck, with salt spreader. Lights on and back up breeper. She shouted at me for almost hitting her. well I know were she lived around the block from another customer so I made sure to clean the ENTIRE street real good so she would not slip and fall while jogging. 6 hrs later she was still shoveling.