1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i wana a diesel, but.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Mar 21, 2005.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

i have a gas powered 454..its a sweet running engine, but im paying $2.50 per gallon of regular..
    how tough would it be to slip a duramax into this 86 1ton dually? :dizzy:
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

They are electronically controlled, would take a lot of custom fabricating and wiring...

Would be sweeeeeet though...

Early 90's Cummins swap would be much easier, mechanically controlled still...

I've seen it done a few times with (reported) great results...
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I thought about it...

I thought about sticking a diesel in my 90 Suburban, but ended up buying another used truck with a gasser in it. Both are 350s. I know that 454 is a gas hog, but around here, diesel is 2.319 (last I checked). My buddy got an '04 Ford 350 SD with the powerstroke. He doesn't seem to think it gets THAT much better mileage than another friend who bought an '04 250 gasser. The gasser is a manual 6 speed (i think) and he told me once it had 4.11's in it. The gasser does drink it up though. Then again, the guy with the gasser has his restaurant 5 mins from his house, and that is all he tries to drive. The power difference would be nice.

If you do it though, I'd like to know how bad the conversion is to do.

I used to build GM suburban and K-10 Blazers, and there was a difference in the frame on the diesels compared to a gasser. I believe it to only be minor, but am not for sure. I do know for sure there were some minor differences. The engine crossmember might be different?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you get a wrecked vehicle fairly easy. Everything will be there. It will be fairly $$$ though since the duramax is pretty new and still comands top dollar
  5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

for the power and longevity it would be nice and worth it. but if you want to do it becuase you think your going to $ave $$ at the pump just look at diesil price$. I paid 2.329 yesterday. hightest is at about 2.159
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I agree. Although you can run a old 350 for a long time if maintained well and you can buy quite a few 350's or rebuild em for what a swap would probably end up running ya. But the cool factor would definatly be there :cool:
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'll buy them off you. :nod:
  8. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

any way you look at it gas is going to cost you

we just have to keep uping the prices of our services nothing is cheep anymore .so boss withthat said how do you like your boss plow . :drinkup:
  9. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

diesel is 2.50 a gallon in cook county il.. i was thinking about going back to gas on the next one
  10. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Make me an offer on the Suburban. I posted pics one the for sale forum. Along with the pics is an HONEST description. Maybe too honest. The Z71 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. (I hope)

11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I just spent $80 to fill up my Ford F150 302. Its starting to piss me off, I have to sell it ASAP. Im spending way to much money on it, 2 trans', oil pump, rear main, etc... And I'll go through the $80 of gas in 3 days. whereas ill prolly only save $50 a month with getting a diesel with fuel wise, so figure its only $100 more a month to opt for the diesel, so figure $50 more and I get all the power I want, and the truck I want. I really want a diesel now!!! I would like a 3500, but I like the 2500hd rims. LOL.
  12. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

i use this truck as my service truck..i spend between $6-800 per month on gas..i thought i could get better mileage with a duamax..im getting 8 mpg now.

im gona start a new post on used chevy trucks.. :waving: