1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I value everyone's opinion on this...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Striper1263, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

OK here's the deal. In my signature I have an 06 Dodge 2500 HD with the 5.7Hemi. I bought the truck because well...just look at it. It's beautiful!! It gets a ton of looks, it rides nice and I never had a lifted truck before. Ok I admit it, it was an impulse buy and the dealer is a friend of mine that gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. Oh and by the way.. My wife drives it more than I do at the moment so she loves it just as much!
    I bought this truck with the idea of using it as a work truck. I do a lot of driving in the summer ( I have a Sealcoating and Line Striping Business ) so I do alot of estimating and sales calls.

So here's the problem. It gets only 8.5 mpg!!! With gas possibly hitting $4.00 per gal it's gonna kill me. I know that with the larger tires and being lifted the mpg would be compromised, but 8.5??? So I am thinking if I can't increase the mpg somehow I'm going to be forced to sell or trade for something else.

What would you guys do??
    1. Go back to original setup (OEM Tires and rims, shocks)
    2. Sell and get something more in line of what I need. ie work truck, plow truck, sales truck etc.
    3. Try changing gears in hopes of increasing fuel mileage?
    I love this truck!! It's great for noticeability. But is it practicable... What would you do?
    I need to decide before spring hits and I'm in the truck 12 -15 hrs a day.

Thanks guys. I really enjoy reading everyone's comments.

I really like the Chevy / GMC 2500 HD Diesels. I just don't want to backwards on the next purchase. Would I go wrong with a that choice? What year seems to be more reliable?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

Her's better pic's of the truck.

100_1583.jpg

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

im in the same situation as you my truck gets 8.6 mpg with a 3" lift and 33" tires. what i plan to do is sell it and buy a newer dodge diesel leave it stock and i should be in the 20 mpg range.

4. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Sell it and get the CTD I do ok. I get 15-16mpg. Just ran truck thought the Laser dishwasher down the street. It doesnt get it as clean. But it was cold and wiondy out

[​IMG]

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i would park it and find a four cylinder ranger or nissan for a few grand to beat the hell out of with great mpg

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, a 4 cylinder ranger. It would get better fuel mileage than a diesel and it would be alot cheaper to fix when something breaks.

8. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I have a 2" lift and 35's and I am still able to get 11 mpg in the summer. Yet, I will still buy a 4 cylinder "beater" to run around in.......at $90 a fill up (once a week) I will have made up the cost in a about a year.

Your truck is awesome....take the extra cash you will lay out for new one and just get decent ride with great mileage....then take out the truck when you want.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Gearing makes a huge difference. I know of guys running 35s with stock 3.73 ratio getting 7-9mpg, I also know of guys running 35s with 4.56 or 4.88 and getting 11-14mpg.

Abes, do you know what your gearing is to get 8.6? I have 285s, no body lift and 3.73s and 11 is easily possible. During the summer I can hit 15-16 with a light foot.

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I have 3.73's I am going to buy 4 new o2 sensors and see if that helps i am still getting a lean code

11. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I was in the position as you...I plow and Stripe. We stripe out of state for the retail giants though and our 2007 hemi ate more gas last year than is even fathomable! My guys drove over 22K in 3.5 months striping from Texas to Washington state. My Hemi ate so much gas pulling the trailer that I knew I had to make a move this year.

Sold the 07' Hemi truck and bought an 05' Cummins Ram. Best thing I have done in years as my avg MPG on the hwy unloaded with the cruise set at 80MPH is right at 21 MPG. Around town is a solid and consistant 16 MPG. Diesel is the way for me as the cost of doing business out of state is high enough without having to deal with $4.00 a gallon summer gas this year! I choose the Ram Cummins for the motor. It seems sim-ple and straightfoward. Its also a Medium duty truck engine in a light duty truck. You just dont hear of many of em' failing to haul the mail. The GM Duramaxes ride better and seem fast...Where as the Cummins truck feels industrial strong and tough.

I say get a Cummins powered ram and dont look back!

Started with this Lil' Pup...Striping some stores in California and Oregon. Just me and a litle Graco 3400!
    [​IMG]

Moved up to a hemi 1/2 ton 4x4 with all the goodies and added two employees and another bigger graco line lazer!
    [​IMG]

Outgrew the 1/2 ton as well as the crappy economy and now have a CTD with a bigger trail 3 machines and 3 employees to do the striping work I started in my little Toyota!
    [​IMG]

Now that I plow during the winter the Cummins truck will be outfitted with a plow to join my little Chevy!
    [​IMG]

My theory is simple. I want it to make me money all year.....

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My '05 Duramax is getting 13 mpg right now.....:rolleyes:

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck has a 350 in it right?
    If so a friend of mine also has a obs 3/4 with 4.10s and 265s and a heavy foot, he said he sees 10mpg regularly. Your 8.6 sounds like its time for a tune up or put your truck on a scanner and see what codes it has.

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

mark check out my new thread in the truck repair section

15. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

Hey chazmanian,
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have the auto layout on you Graco's? I have one and it's great! Alot less bending over for my guys laying out the lot. May move into the Line Driver this year.
    I have been wanting a Diesel for a long time. Mainly because when I buy something I usually use it till it dies, as you can see from my vehicle description on my signature.
    Thanks again

16. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I dont do any new layout.....4 times the work for twice the money! This is as close to new layout that I'll do.
    [​IMG]
    I will fix messed up HC areas and get em' up to code......New stuff? Nope. Restripes only and until this past year all done with a lil' Graco 3400. Now we use the 3400 just for poles and Handicapped blue.
    3900's without a lazyliner!! I bought one and had some issue with my guys running over wet lines and generally acting silly once they were onboard......So I banned Lazyliners and make em' walk all night!.

I started m,y striping operation with one Graco 3400. By myself I could paint an entire T***** store in one night! It was rough and I never stopped running from stripe to stripe but these are a few locations I did by myself in one evening without any helpers! Now it takes 3 of my employees to a store in 7-8 Hours?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Trere is always a reason for a great deal. IMO live with the bad fuel milage. Unless you drive 30 000 miles in a year you wont see any profit from the diesel truck for at least 3 years. Save your coin and buy a CTD clone to the one you got, instant gratification is nice but $$$ is key to sucess.

If you can find a cheep fix for the bad milage go for it, but to spend thousands of dollars to gain 2-3 MPG doesn't make much sence. Have a GMC 2500HD w/6.0L gas engine whick gets 3-5MPG when plowing. In the long run as a plow truck I don't mind the fuel cost, for the truck will always start and run all night long with limited issues. During the summer the truck is plated but doesn't move very much more less it is a pplow truck and back up truck.

18. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I think your estimates maybe a little bit high on returns. But I will agree it takes time. But your chevy will cost more in long run to maintain and the gasser will always be a total loss over a diesel. You have to do oil changes at 3-5k Diesel are rated at 10-15k. Diesel dont need tune ups just a fuel filter every 10-15k. And after all is said and done when you want to get rid of pick up thats is 7-8 years old the Diesel is easily selling for twice the money of a gasser. And the motor is still running strong unlike your gasser with lifter noise and other issues

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Striper if your calculating your MPG off the stock odometer calibration your going to be on the low side since the taller tires are slowing the miles shown on the odometer down. You'd actually be driving more miles than would be shown...and affecting your average MPG.

But regardless it's still not going to be good on fuel..

20. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

The math used above makes sense to a point....I was originally set on trading my 07' Gasser for an 08' Diesel and after doing the math it wasnt justifiable. What did work out well in my case was trading down a few years to a nice used truck. Mine has 30K on the ticker and is ready to save me a ton of fuel money this year and for several more to come. My Hemi truck was lucky to hit 10MPG on the Hwy last year. This year I expect to almost double that.

We will also drive close to 25K over the summer months so my math says 2500 Gallons of midgrade is $8,200 in fuel cost using $3.30 a gallon for my figuring.

I figure to get 18 MPG with the Diesel so 1350 gallons should cover me this year at $3.50 a gallon or $4750 in fuel cost to drive 25K miles.

Take those figures which are approximations times say 3 years and I will come out many thousands ahead....Not counting the extra money the plow capable Cummmins truck will generate during the winter months versus the hemi which essentially sat in my driveway collecting snow!

I sold my 07' for 21.5K I bought the 05' Diesel for 23.6K. Both truck had 30K on the odometer and the 05' is actually a nicer truck as it hasnt been "Worked" yet. I lost some coin on the 07' and had to pony up a check for 2.5K to pay it off.I'm glad I did it.