1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I thought people were helpful here??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hucorey, Oct 26, 2004.

1. hucorey

hucorey Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have posted a couple of messages on here and only one reply. I am looking for a plow for my '03 ram 15004x4 and am not sure with what plow I want to go with. It seems that a lot of people like Fisher, but where I am at most people have Meyer, Western, and Boss is now getting popular. I only plan on clearing my drive and probably try to make a little green on the side. Does anyone have any input on the Western Suburbanite or the Fisher Homestead? Any input would be much appreciated.
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a question then please ask it. As a Blizzard dealer I would be more than happy to answer it.
  3. hucorey

hucorey Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I did ask a question, didnt you read the post? I dont know much about who makes the best plow, but since you are a dealer, Im looking for prices for a plow for my truck.
  4. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'm sold on fisher, I have over a dozen of them, however I did just put a used boss v on my truck for this winter but thats only cause the price was right. It depends on what you're doing, if you're only plowing your drive or some light plowing the meyer should be cheaper and with a new plow you shouldnt have much problems.

Western and Fisher are not far apart, the same company or somethinglike that even though it was sold. I have a 7'6" fisher the light duty midget plow which came off a 1500 dodge before I bought it and we've run it 4 years commercialy and it has held up fine, we put a steel edge on it and a steel deflector and it's still in one piece, my guys don't give anything a break. The western I'm sure woulkd hold up just as good, a friend of mine is a dealer and the plows are well built from what i've seen but I've never owned one. If I were you and you have a basic knowledge of hydraulics I'd buy a used plow. I do believe my buddy sold a western suburbanite for 3400 the other day installed, thats a lot of money to just plow your driveway.
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Definitely go with a 7.6 plow. Unlike some of the dealers on here(no names mentioned, you know who you are) I won't shove any particular brand down your throat just to make a sale.
  7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Try a search as well. Alot of topics have been reviewed in the past and there is a wealth of information in the "search" function. I think there are instructions somewhere on the website. Or if you have difficulty, pm me and I can walk you through it over the phone.

Back to the original issue, I always start with the dealer closest to my location. All major plows have their +, -s, but if your equipment needs to be serviced, it is alot easier to have that service close by.
  8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Dude, go to one of the manufacturers web sites up top. Type in your trucks info, see what will fit and what the truck can handle. Write down the models and do a search on plowsite for each one. Worked great for me. Even though I didn't get my shipment yet, I am 99.99% sure I will be happy with my purchase. Once you have it narrowed down. Go back to that manufacturers web site and fins out where the delaers are in your area. Call and ask for prices.

Search function on this site rocks...
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Get any 7'6" plow for your Ram 1500, the truck will do fine. I would want to stay away from a homesteader/suburbanite as it will be too small for your truck. As most will tell you, no new plow is cheap at least $3,000, and you don't pay any less for the very light duty homesteader then you do for a standard plow. If you are just clearing your driveway it may be more worth while for you to get a used 7'6" plow. Used plows can be a headache as it has to be off the same type of truck otherwise you will be purchasing other parts to make it work (truck mount, wiring). If you get lucky you could set up your truck woth a nice used plow that will serve your needs well, for less then $2000.
  10. As far as people not being helpful on here, you are in the complete wrong of the situation. Sometimes people don't catch the title of your posts so it's a good idea to bring them back up to the top for others to look at. Good luck with future posts :waving:
  11. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

It's not that people aren't helpful it's the fact that this question has been asked a zillion times. Use the search. Also, I for one am not going to tell you what the best plow is cause everybody has their own opinion. Why bother to answer a question when I'll be 1 of 10 different replies? Do a search, visit our sponsors, visit your dealers and make your own opinion. Also I have found that many of us on this site don't want to help somebody who "wants to make a little green on the side" cause these are the people who often charge $20 for a job that should be $100 and deflate the expectation of the general public. Bottom line, learn what you can with the information that is already available then ask a question. You wouldn't go to a PC Nerd website and say "hey yo, what's the best computer to buy? I like to play games and write documents." would you?
  12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I could set you up with a 7.5' Blizzard. Only used for 3 storms, new last year. Cash and carry $2500. Mounts and wiring included off an 02 Ram 1500.
  13. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

Fisher sells a 7'6" light duty plow that should work for you.
  14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

People here are very helpful, like someone mentioned, posts get missed sometimes. Anyway, like Remsen1 said, you're going to get 100 different suggestions and opinions. Not saying that's bad, it's actually good. But only you will be able to go down and talk to the various dealers in your area and get a feel for which one will take care of your needs and back the product. In my research for which plow to put on I found that most plow manufacturers made pretty good plows, just depends on what features you're looking for. Dealer support is important.

Anyway I went with a Blizzard 760LT as I too am putting it on a 1/2 ton and this plow weighs in at 550lbs but still seems to be a very sturdy unit, and priced very well at $2565 + tax. However, we've (myself & some other members here) discovered that is not much above cost and my dealer must be trying to get a bunch out there in the marketplace, so pricing elsewhere may be different. In fact I just got it mounted up today. I can tell you I like everything about the plow so far...we'll see if I feel the same way after I plow some snow with it. :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004