1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I think there's something wrong with my V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JeffNY, Jan 25, 2007.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I was just out plowing, and the drivers side wants to keep folding in, its not staying out. I haven't hit anything, and it worked fine this morning. It's not doing it every time, but enough to call it a problem.
    What should I check before I drive over to the dealer?
  2. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

My V does break away easier sometimes as well. Im sure how long it was running for and the temp may have something to do with it. I think I would hate it if it didnt break away so easy. These things take bumps and curbs HARD...Me and my steering wheel have gotten very close this winter.

I would have your dealer at least look at it. May have a bad valve
  3. payton

payton Senior Member

what kinda cyclinders do you have on it?
    smart locks? probally not.. upgrade to smart locks.. will make a world of difference.
  4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

in my sig.... "Smarties" = Smart Locks.

I called the dealer, he called boss, its not the first call they've had on it, something about a particle in the valve, and CAN fix itself because theres a sreen in there and it wont let it back in. Seems like it may have fixed itself, if not he said bring it in and they'll fix it right up, no biggy.
  5. payton

payton Senior Member

so i dont read signatures..

my bad.
  6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Well, I ended up taking my plow in, they 'fixed' it, but when I brought it home, the problem was still there.
    Brought it back in, they 'fixed' it again, I brought it home, STILL not fixed. I called em, they got me right back in.
    So the third time there, they 'fixed' it. I get it home......STILL not fixed.

Ive been really cool about it, because everyone there has been really good to me, they dont make me wait, they take my plow right in, they're only working on what BOSS tells them to do/fix. They agree that this is ridiculous, and it needs to be fixed,

But seriously, where do you draw the line? I spent $5500 on a plow i've used 15 times, and I have to drive an hour each time I go there. Im not blaming the dealer at all, it seems they're doing what they can. Should I call Boss? The plow goes back tmr morning, and if its not 100% when I pick it back up, they can have the plow back.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Jeff, what exactly have they done so far to try and fix it? I'd think after three tries they should have got it.
  8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im not really sure, first time flushed something incase there were particles, 2nd, not sure, 3rd time they did something with the valves, now tmr they're swapping out the release valve or something like that. He made it sound like they were half way through the list of possibilities from Boss.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, it sound's like their covering all the possibilities's. A wing that's not holding is usually only caused by 3 thing's, the wing retract valve leaking internally, the pressure relief valve for that wing not holding or a defective cylinder. Sound's like their gonna replace the pressure relief valve for the wing next. If that doesn't fix it DEMAND that they replace the "wing in" valve as it sound's like they just cleaned it the last time rather than replacing it so that could still be your problem.
  10. mojob

mojob Member

I think I have the same problem with my RT-ll. I bought it used and I'm guessing it has all the original parts. I was thinking of putting a pressure gage on the angling cylinder hose and then collapsing the blade. It should release at 2800 PSI I would think. Has your dealer tried this? I wouldn't think it would be bad cylinders because they're single-acting. If fluid was getting past the o-ring on the piston, the fluid would be trapped on the back side of the piston and create a liquid lock. This would cause the wing to extend really slow or not at all. Let us know what they find. Try pushing the blade back on a curb before you drive all the way home to see if they fixed it.
  11. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Weird thing is, I barely have to be pushing snow, today, actually, I dont have to be pushing snow, I dropped my blade today before I was even into the 3" fluffy snow drift I was clearing, and it came back. I should video it, except my battery shat the bed on the camcorder.
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's retracting that easy then the fluid definitely has an easy passageway out of the cylinder. It's gotta be the wing retract valve or the pressure relief valve stuck open.
  13. watertownmain

watertownmain Junior Member

JeffNY, where in upstate NY are you?
  14. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im thinking about calling Boss, maybe throwing me one of them sweet fleece vests for my troubles.
  15. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

boss vee

if it has smart lock cylinders i might rend to think it is the check valve,some times gets trash stuck in it,either replace or take apart and clean and reseat the check valve ball carefully with a small punch"when you take it apart count the amount of turns on the spring screw to put it back.