1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I think the fat lady has sung, come on spring!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think our 2010 season is over. Weather forecast for the next 15 days is sunny and high's are mid 40's. We might get a few more salt runs in but no snow. Just dumped a ton of $$$ in our dump :cry: and now not going to make any of it back. Oh well I'm getting tired of plowing any ways.....come September I'll be sick of mowing,lol

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I was going to post a picture but nah.

I would rather repairs at the end of the season then right at the start.
    How did it compare to last year?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

March is a long month,plenty of snow to come.

4. Brian Young

I think we did about 20% more than last year excluding our Baltimore trip. So all-in-all good year. As far as our dump....she still needs some work but it should be 100% running condition. I found a set of complete doors for 150 bucks each and still needs a left front fender and some cab corners then repainted. Body work should be done by the 2nd week of April. So far we dumped about 7k into her but its cheaper than a new one. I'll run it for another year or two then trade it.

5. Brian Young

I know, one or two more wouldn't hurt.

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

sounds like a good year then.
    run it till its dead.

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Iam sick of mowing by august, right when the grass stars sliwig down, and residential accounts want cuts every 2 weeks, and Ian sick of fall after the first fall clean up! The only thing good about fall is a little bit of mowing, HUNTING WHICH IS MOST IMPORTANT!!!, Nd a little plowing but I hate picking up leaves , PITA

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The fat lady hasn't sung yet because I haven't smelled the sweet smell of my farm topsoil yet going through my screener.Then it's Spring.:)

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Brian, there ain't gonna be no more snow!!! The weather is gettin much milder & phones are already starting to ring for quotes this Landscape season :bluebounc

Heres a couple of pics to throw ya in the mood! :waving:

DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1631.jpg

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Keep believing it guys, but there are still 6 weeks to go, and alot can happen in that time.
    I will never forget the April 8 storm we got 10 years ago. Everything put away, and cleaning up the yards. At first they were talking rain, then they said rain with 6 inches of snow. When it was over and done we had 18 inches of cement fall from the sky. Then there was 3 years ago, it had been a below normal winter till end of March. Well we got 3 storms in 10 days for a total of 2 feet, in April. Experiance has taught me Mother Nature is to unpredictable. Check out the weather guys, with all the state of the art equipment and they still get it wrong 50% of the time. Winter is over April 15 for me, and not a day sooner.

11. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Hope your right Brian I would like to put plows away. But They will stay on till March 30th so I dont have a run in with Murphy.

12. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Pulling out equipment off sites tomorrow, All salters pulled from trucks, Summer wheels back on trucks, Plows going inside tonight! Goodbye Winter Hello Spring

13. creativedesigns

....and then next Monday you can start Aerating & cutting grass!!!

Be sure to take some pics for us. ;)

14. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

I remember that. That winter was just like this one and all of a sudden April 16th (day after most contracts we're done, city workers first day at their "summer job") we got 5-10cm of snow!

15. creativedesigns

Really??? I don't remember that storm....

Ohh yeeea, I was in Turks & Caicos with the brunette ladies!! :cool: :drinkup:

16. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

We got 6" April 16 last year
    oh and creative, is your favorite color blue?

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I plowed a few inches May 1st about 8 years ago, none of my equipment gets torn down until mid april and I still keep at least one plow truck and salter ready for another few weeks. Call me crazy if you will...

18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This picture was taken out my front window across the lawn on April 2, 2005 after everyone said winter was over....

April 2 2005.jpg

19. grandview

20. grandview

Is that Niagara on the Lake? Connection Rd?