1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i think my mm1 froze up

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bill 1964, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

being new to this and installing a used mm1 on my '94 f250 over the summer i thought i had it working good, i was planning on doing more work on it next summer (overhaul rams, etc.) it worked great last storm which was abouve freezing, today i went out to move vehicles around and put the plow truck at the bottom of the driveway, the plow worked great, temp around 20f. after moving vehicles around and getting back into the plow truck i noticed that it had a hard time raising, maybe a quarter inch max every time i tried to raise it, and no longer would angle but i could see it was trying ( mold board would move just a hair). last fall i flushed it by removing the angle ram hoses and draining the res. did that a few times and put in a generac fluid that is supposed to be good down to -40 f. seemes strange that it worked initially today for just a few minutes but just froze quickly... what freezes on these first...rams,solenoid assembly?? anywways i have the moldboard high enough and chained so i can move the truck, also thinking putting a halogen lamp to it to warm things up a bit, what a bummer but not giving up.
    also i noticed when using the plow it really dims the lights and the volt gauge on the dash plunges, curious as what the amp draw should be?? i did not measure the amp draw yet. i just put a new diehard gold battery in it, i think about 920cca. is this normal?? thanks, bill

2. aman804

aman804 Junior Member

may of had just enough moisture frozen on top of the fliud that worked its way into the valves.if you put heat to it and it comes into it you might want to cange your fluid again. I've used the blue fluid that napa sell and not had any problems, as far as your lights diming and volt gauge dropping,that is normal to a point,but if it is drastic change your alternator may not be big enough to keep up with the draw of power.

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

first check all connections! clean inspect and grease-- then check what the pump motor is drawing for amps (or just check how dim your lights go!)-- Sound more like the motor left you-- very common in the first few storms of the year after sitting all summer.