1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I think it needs an overhaulin

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay so my truck has taken a bit of a beating the last 2 years. The front end has some lovely rattles and clunks, a few dents and scratches, and various other things. It is a 2000 Silverado 2500 6.0. For one, I am pulling the t-case this summer to replace the gasket between it and the trans, since it is leaking. Then the tard that owned it before me broke a few manifold bolts off in the heads:gunsfiring: They are cast iron, which isnt too bad. I am going to have to pull the heads to get them out. What is the best way to get them out of it?? I want to put a little more of a cam in it, something mild. Who makes a cam for the 6.0? I have looked but really havent seen anything. Anything else recommened to do while I am that deep into the motor? I also plan on going full synthetics in the whole truck, possibly Royal Purple. What ones do I need for it? I am new to the whole synthetic thing so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys:waving:

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Check the transfer case for a small hole in it. They are known for a the pump rubbing from the inside out. If it is that, some JB Weld on the spot may keep it alive, and fluid in it until you can rebuild it. Do a search on line. Dieselplace has lots of good info on the subject.

transfer case pin hole..JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No it is the gasket between the tcase and trans. I should have been clearer in my original post. Sorry about that. I know this because I am getting the red tranny fluid back into my blue t-case fluid and it has been over full a couple times that I have checked. Kinda sucks Thanks for the reply Yaz, I will check just to make sure

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

No problem, you were clear I just wanted to to see whats been happing on the t-cases and check it out. Sure would stink adding a gasket and still find it leaking and have to pull it again.

5. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

With that many miles and going that deep into the motor, you might as well, put in a jasper, be cheaper in the long run.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It only has 111,000 miles. The engine doesnt burn really any oil at all, but maybe a 1/2 quart every 3K. No smoke or anything. Runs like a top and has plenty of power, the tires break loose before it runs out of snow pushing power. I just need to pull the heads to get the studs drilled out so I have 100% sealed manifolds. There isnt enough room in there to drill with the heads on. If I had a cherry picker and more time, I would just opt to pull the entire engine/trans/tcase out as one and do my work to it out of the truck, and the heads could stay on. But I think pulling the heads is easier than pulling the drivetrain out.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If some of the stud is still sticking out weld a nut to it. The heat may make it come loose easier.... and the nut you can grab onto and remove the bolt. Alot easier than removing the heads....

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No Derek, there is not even a hair of stud sticking out. Otherwise I would do that. It will just need the drill and ezout/tap taken to it

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats too bad, its so much easier. We've even gotten away with a flat washer instead of a nut, with a bevel hammered into it.. but you'd still need a thread sticking up.

I hate easy outs. Theres nothing easy about the damn things.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well hopefully by summer I can buy a 2nd truck to pull the trailer while this one gets some work done. I though about taking the heads off, and sending them out to get ported&polished, the stud removed, and some general freshening up. I would like to think this truck could go another 100K with little to no issue. The trans only has like 35000 miles on it now. I never really used an easy out, but from what people say, they suck a$$

11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes They Dooooooooooooo

12. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

If you can't get the studs out with the ez out buy a set of helicoils for it. They work awesome and retain the original thread size and strength. Just do a search for helicoil and you'll see what they are. :salute:

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks jjtmarineb2!!:waving: I will check that out

14. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

yes they do work very well

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Since I am doing some body work to it and the hood has a few dents and what not, would one of the 01-02 2500HD powerdome hoods fit my truck? I like the look of them and would look cool on my truck. If I cant buy a 2500HD, I will turn mine into one:nod:

16. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

um yea

thats exactly what happened to mine, the place that does all my work said it was leaking and i brought it to the dealership cause its underr warrenty, they changed the seal cause it was bad, even though i told them about the small pin *****, when i got it back i flipped out cause they didnt fix anything and it was supposed to snow a few times that week. filled the hole with metal epoxy, sealed up fine. finally got it replaced a few months ago

17. zappalawn

zappalawn Member
    from pgh

yes the hold should fit and the cam any ls1 2 6 7 cam will work in a 6.0

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well now we can add a gas leak, bad waterpump/and or the typical 6.0 leaking coolant lines:realmad: I am pulling the bed this weekend to get in there and fix the friggin lines. This must be the year of truck repair, lol:cry:

19. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Tom sorry to hear about the problems. Hopefully the coolant is just the lines. My 2000 2500 had that problem, thankfully they were under warrenty. Hopefully they fixed that with the new trucks

20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I can't believe it, even after you told them.. Wow

Glad you got it fixed! I keep watching mine and so far so good. It wears even when it's not in 4x4 because the guts spin all the time. I figure it's just luck as to if it going to wear through or not.