1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I think I might have found my truck.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Hi guys, I think I might have finally found a plow truck for me. I have a 2000 GMC 1500 with 100,000 miles on it and have been looking for a plow for some time. I have considered putting a boss 7.5 poly on my current truck, but then I would have to do a lot of suspension work as well. Cruising craigslist today, I found this around madison, wi:

I called the guy today and he has been using it to plow his drive and a small bank that he is the maintenance guy for. it has under 90,000 miles on it and has a 350. The guy said he completely took the back suspension out and put in 3/4 ton suspension. Then he added timbrens in the front. The guy has owned it since it was new, so it has only been plowed with by him. He said it works great and the only reason he is getting rid of it is because he found a bobcat to use instead. I guess he needs to stack snow higher and probably haul it away, so he decided to get a bobcat instead for loading into a dump.

Let me know what you guys think. Would there be any issues with putting the 3/4 ton suspension on a half ton?

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i would stick with the one you have because im betting he plowed alot more than he is telling you.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As far as suspension work, the only difference between your current truck and that one is a set of rear springs and a set of Timbrens. You could purchase a new plow, spreader, a set of Timbrens, and a set of 3/4 ton springs and have the same thing for a lot less than $10,000 out of your pocket.

Plus you already know what you have. :nod:
  4. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

The price seems to be a little

on the high side and it's a half ton....
  5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

You have to assume the worst with used vehicles. Assume the only reason somebody would swap 3/4 ton suspension into a half ton truck is to abuse it. Keep in mind that the frame was not swapped for the much stronger 3/4 ton frame, but it probably carried the same loads. The pictures suggest that he did NOT swap in the much stronger 14-bolt axle when he swapped springs because it still has the 6-lug wheels on the back. That means he's been badly overloading that poor little flimsy 10-bolt. I think the plow and salter don't add enough value to make the truck worth the asking price. My $.02.
  6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

That truck looks just like my 98 ECSB Z71. Its the same color. He could have put a 14 bolt SF with the six lug axles along with the five leaf springs. To be honest, looking at the frames of my 98 K1500 vs my 98 K3500, I can't tell any difference. I think that I even measured the height of the frame from top to bottom and they were the same. I'll have to look at it closer.

The price is not too bad compared to similiar trucks around here plus with the plow and salter.
  7. flanny0104

flanny0104 Junior Member
    from indiana

look for a 3/4 ton instead you will be much happier!