1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I think I got screwed on this bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stumper1620, Nov 26, 2008.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I just got results of Biding back from a state DOT lot bid....
    This just Piiiissss me right off....
    Check this out, they award it to a guy that was 40 bucks less than me... then he backs out after it was awarded... Hummm I didn't know I could do that....
    So they re award it.. this is the part that gets me...
    Other guy bids
    This is all to be done at every visit... by 6AM
    2 drives and 2 parking lots 60.00 ............................My bid 55.00
    all sidewalks....his............25.00................... ...........Mine 35.00
    Salt drives ...................... 80.00.................................Me 75.00
    (no walks, employees do that)
    Ok we are tied up 165 each

Loader per hour if needed......
    ..............................His 100.00 .................................mine 95.00
    Now i'm 5 bucks lower....
    He got the job..

I'm 5 dollars under his now. I am located 5 miles away and they would have been My second stop....
    The guy that got the job....He is located 20 miles away....
    This should have been mine.
    Dealing with the State....Go figure.

On a happy side of this.........
    at least we are both in the same pricing mindset.......
    Unlike the first guy.........
    his Bid 35.00 plowing, 15.00 for walks and 5 bucks for salt LMAO.... yeah that might do the entrance.
    At least we are both in the same game with the bid........
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well did you inquire as to why they chose a higher priced company? could be many reasons...work in the past? reliablity? i know alot of places dont tak ethe low bid.... they go with the 2nd or third bid... just from experiance
  3. stumper1620

This is a MDOT bid...... State is supposed to go with low bid.
    yes I did. the boss of the office worked magic with the salt application prices and made it work to the other guys advantage....Has some crap on this explination of sub totaling before salt and then he took the salt prices of each of us and went 20 % of the estimate so, as soon as the 20% was subtracted there it made me higher over all.
    then he disregarded the loader quote saying it don't count because they have not needed one for the past 5 years.... well, so what...If they did I would be expected to honor that rate.
    The guy did a buddy a favor in my opinion...
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Don't forgot that gov't sometimes gives extra points to veterans (so do I) and others with belonging to some "groups" of people needing empowerment. Gov't is also corrupt... and like "machine politics", many contracts go out to friends and family. Sounded a bit like this guy had a special bid formula created just in case he had to explain it to you.
  5. stumper1620

Yeah, I figure it was someone he knew... its not a years in business thing... I've been around longer.

I just can't figure out the 20% part... Whats 20% of salt app. thats just bull.. the app is still gonna cost the same no matter what that is about.
    then to disregard the loader... thats bull too... they had it as part of the bid..... it should be based on the bottom line not part way. otherwise don't request the extras in the bid.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i would push it a little harder

they would need a pretty good excuse to not go with low bid

i agree with the veteran thing but that kinda stuff would have to be disclosed in the bid notice
  7. stumper1620

I agree, and He didn't do that place last year... He may be doing some mowing for them though.
  8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Are you black and he is white>?
  9. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

with gov. the black or woman owned biz. will always get points.
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not always but it still would have to be announced in the bid letting
  11. stumper1620

That one I can't answer.. Could be....I don't need to go there.. that would get me going even more....
    I gave up...Not worth dealing with the boss man over there... they called me, not me calling them... gave me 4 hours to get a bid together, dropped what I was doing to get it for them and then got disregarded (cheated) anyway. Screw em.
    I really don't want the job now anyway, I would just have the boss nit picking the job after all this anyway... I just don't like the way I lost the bid... there was nothing on the bid sheet about this 20% crap....
  12. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

They could be thinking about salting more than pushing, as is generally the case.
  13. stumper1620

That was something like i was thinking, then as I thought about it..That makes no sense, it says nothing on the bid sheet about number of times or anything like that.
    It was on a per visit basis, if it was meant for salt only apps. then it should have stated that. besides, I should have came out better if that was the case, because I was 5 bucks less on salt.
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

If your upset about it call your politician (s) or send them a letter. You have a very good arguement & goverment workers often forget that they answer to us the taxpayer, they somtimes need a reminder from elected officials. I do think he should do a better job of justifing his reasoning, if he was going to play with the numbers, he should of call you both in. I don't think this will get you the job but will make you feel better about it & possibly help him to clean up his act.
  15. stumper1620

Yeah...Your saying exactly what i'm thinking...
    Its not a issue of being happy with his current provider... the guy from last year did not bid it this year..
    I think its a matter of the boss either wanted this guy.. or it could be simply he had to design a way to award a tie, and instead of using the loader price as the basis he did whatever it was he did...
    I mean really, how many properties that request bids from 3 or 4 people would ever plan on a tie.... what are the odds of 3 people with no clue of the others name or business to all go to the property at different times and provide bids and one is so low its stupid ( probably backed out when he found out he had to provide insurance) and the other 2 come out with the exact same bottom line after the three services are estimated...
    i know for a fact, no numbers were leaked out... in my opinion...It shows that 2 of us know exactly where our cost are and what the rates should be...
    I am happy about that...
    I have thought about calling my rep..
  16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

your bid was just a formality.......he already had his guy
  17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I had a similar thing happen. Gave them a bid and then pulled it due to a crappy response time from the company. Come to find out the bid went to a former employee that took a buy-out earlier that year. He was going to get it anyway according to my source.
  18. stumper1620

Thats what I figure too.
  19. stumper1620

Yeah, they waste our time when they already have their minds set...
    Well, next year I wont waste my time.
  20. stumper1620

Winter storm warning out for tonight and tomorrow, It will be interesting to see if he handles it well.