1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I sub for a local contractor,how long do I wait

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jayman3, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I work for a local contractor as a sub with my pickup,and my backhoe,I also do sidewalk work,I usually get paid on the first of each month but was told today that he is having a hard time as we got alot of snow in December,I said so am I .Never had a problem with him before,so what I am asking is how lomg till I stop plowing .I am owed 10k
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's really going to have to depend on how you think this will turn out. Do you think you'll get paid eventually? I plow all residentials and about half still owe for December. I sent out reminders the 20th of January and ordinarily would quit plowing on Feb 1st. But I'll keep plowing as I believe I will get paid, even if it takes them till May or June. People around here not only got hit with high plowing bills, but big increases in heating bills (most heat with oil) and high gas prices. It's pinching a little to not get paid, but I believe it'll work out.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe you can get him to make some payments?
  4. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I believe I will get paided but like I told him I have bills to and my men would like to get paid,I do pay them but he dosn't have to know that,my fuel bill was also high in December but I still need to pay it,I guess I will give him a week and then afer that have to call him again,his manager says don;t worry I will get my money ,I know I will but man 10k is alot for a small operation to care over seeing as it is all comercail contracts.
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This is a great question. In other lines of work you get paid weekly, semi-weekly but, you get paid. No pay == no work. For me to hire staff and keep staff I have to pay. I may not have the cash flow due to late payments, etc. So, I get a small business loan.

So, why to folks who own companies providing service such as snow plowing not take out a business loan or use part of their equity to float payroll each season? I would image at some point being a bad boss will get you a bad reputation.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's total BS
    That's why subs make less money, because they ALWAYS get paid. The contractor's problems aren't yours. You did your work, now you get paid.
    I'd send him a registered letter (so you have a paper trail) saying "where's my money?"
    and I'd go talk to him at the same time (in person) and say "what is the deal?"

and I would stop plowing until I got paid. You've waited over a month, personally I would have walked long before.

10 grand is a ton of money
  7. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I am still not sure what to do,with a major storm for Friday ,we are expecting 20 cm's I know I will get paid but when that is the question.