1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I spent some cash today.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MattR, Jan 30, 2009.

1. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Hi everybody,

I am fairly new to the site and snow removal. I had always used snowblowers and shovels up to now. I had a few snowblower engines decide they had enough and start demanding lots of money to keep them going.

A few weeks ago I ran across a deal on a unimount system without the plow and a-frame and bought that for $60. I figured at that price it was good enough for parts if something was wrong with it. Anyways, I was checking around for a truck and ran across one on craigslist that seemed like a fair price. I went and looked at it. It is a 1989 Dodge Power Ram with 120k on it, 1/2 ton, 318, auto, 4wd, and a Western pro plow on it. The truck was a bit rusty, but I have seen alot worse and it ran great with the exception of a noisy PS pump. The drivetrain even seemed very sound, no clunking or loose u-joints. The plow however could not be tested at that time since the seller said that the pump was shot on it. He installed a brand new western pump motor on it and only used it for about 15 minutes before he said the plow stopped working. Plow would not move left or right, yet would move a half an inch at the most when raising. Well I figured I may have a decent pump already for it and decided to see what I could get the plow truck for. He had it listed for about a week @ $1,200 and the day before I went to check it out, he lowered the price to $900, I talked him down to $825 and had him help me short chain the plow up to drive it home 100 miles. So even if it may need a plow pump, $825 was a good deal.

It gets even better though. I removed the plow pump motor so I could swap in my other pump from the other system I bought previously. The ATF fluid was a very dark red so I knew it had not been changed in a while. Drain plug was stuck, so drained it by using a siphon hose. I looked in there and the filter was so clogged you could not see any screen material on it. So I cleaned the parts of the screen I could get at with a toothbrush, wiped down the inside to remove any debris and installed the motor and refilled with ATF. Started the truck up, crossed my fingers and reached for the plow control and everything works fine (left, right, up, and down). So that $825 was even a better deal than I originally thought.

Not that it matters.... I always owned Ford trucks and this is my first non-Ford. I have heard tons of good things about these older Dodges though. Main reason I bought it, it ran great and at the price I got it for was like buy the truck and get the plow for free...lol. I am sure I will be posting some "help me" type posts in the future, yet keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime.

Pic is from the CL ad, I will post some better ones as soon as I get a chance.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

ya thats great, its those buys that a cheap and hopefully for you a truck that gonna give you good service. Even if it makes you money in the first year and quits it dont owe you nuttin.
  3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am hoping it will last a long time too. I figure for that price if the truck quits, I still got a good price on the plow, and vice versa.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

yep those old Dodges are great. Got the rust along the rain gutter up top? But you got a good one they put the front bumper back on it. Alot of the old Dodges didnt ahve front bumper becuase they had to cut it up
  5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Actually most of the rust is on the wheel wells. Drivers floor was also patched but I looked underneath and the floor was only had a small baseball size hole. I suppose snow and cold air was coming through that so had to fix it..lol. The roof gutters actually look fairly decent yet, some spots look like rust will appear soon though (starting to discolor if that makes sense). My uncle has a few dodge trucks and mine is nowhere near as bad as his are when looking at just the rain gutter area.

Yeah the front bumper is in good shape. Cannot say that for the back one though. It appears somebody backed into a pole or tree and bent it up pretty good..lol. It does not bother me though since I believe a truck is not broke in until it has a few dents to add some character to it.

I am hoping to get a snow storm here soon to try it out. I was even thinking of heading out to a lake and try it out there, but knowing my luck I would find where the thin ice is...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

LOL, don't go on the lake. It will for sure fall through being you got a great deal on it. :D It's almost like you got a great deal so Karmna is going to be after you. LOL
  7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Nice truck!!!!
  8. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I added some pics that I took today. I would have taken some of it actually plowing, yet need more snow first..lol.

Thanks for all the replies so far. :D

P.S. yeah I know it is gonna need some tail lights. I do not think the previous owner paid too much attention when backing up.. :D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009

SKYNYRD Senior Member

looks like a real good starter truck. best of luck with it!
  10. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a good truck to get it all goin. Have fun with it.
  11. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Wanted to just say thanks...but stupid 10 word minimum...lol
  12. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

i love good lookin work trucks. lots of character. i drove a dodge 1/2ton before i bought my '04 350PSD. same type of rust around the wheelwells. i still have the dodge, just need to clean the IAC and maybe do something about the exhaust. i'm up at 155k and i think there's plenty more life for not much money.

great buy!