1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I sold my Tundra and had to upgrade to a bigger truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Loni1113, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

Ok, so last year I posted on my tundra and how it handled plowing with the X-blade. Now let me start off by saying, I have had a lot of different vehicles and the Tundra was the BEST 1/2 ton pickup I have ever owned. With that said, the tundra wasn't big enough for some of the commercial accounts I have now, and I needed a bigger truck to handle the business' growth. I just purchased a Ford F350 ( I think it is big enough :D)
  2. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Did you get the 2011? 6.7?
    I just bought a new 2011 F-350 6.7. Talk about BIG enough. I have always been a Dodge guy. That twin turbo kicks alot power. Glad I didn't buy the V-10.wesport
  3. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

No, I bought used. I got a 2006 with the 6.0. I have always been a chevy guy and with all of the crap going on with GM these days it made me mad. So I went with Ford. Honestly I think my next truck will be Dodge mega cab. But only time will tell I guess.
  4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

on that 6.0, save 1500 dollars and keep it for emergency fund...

the egr cooler goes bad and the oil cooler goes bad. its big money to fix. ive done several at my shop. other than that, get a tranny temp gauge and you should be good to go.
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Delete that EGR!

Nice purchase, they are really nice trucks.
  6. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

What do you mean by "delete that egr?"
  7. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

The ford 6.7 isn't twin turbo? And they sell kits toblock the egr right off and run withoutit. Definetly get a set of gauges and don't chip it,unless you plan on headstudding it
  8. midnightrodeo

midnightrodeo Junior Member

The 6.0L Powerstrokes have an EGR Cooler on them. When they crack they dump antifreeze down your intake and destroy the motor. It happened to me! :angry:

I have an 04 and 05 F-350's w/ 6.0 Liter diesels in them. I have blocked the egr and unplugged the egr on both and they run great.

You can find an egr delete online or @ innovativediesel.com. Those guys are really good guys to deal with and they can help you out a lot.
  9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I would say block the EGR and Program or "chip" it. just do a mild tune.
    There are a TON of 6.0's with tuning and no studs.
  10. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Better go real mild.maybe a custom sct.
  11. plowguy43

Basically what those guys said- if it breaks it ruins the engine, its the root of all diesel problems regardless of what Make. Anything emissions related on newer diesel's basically ruins the engine and mileage, etc. By deleting it with a kit it'll be much more reliable for you in the long run- especially the 6.0.

Basically do whatever Rob_cook2001 tells you to do with that motor.
  12. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

So, what is the purpose of the EGR? I read up on what it does, but if it is so bad and everyone thinks I need to get rid of it, why would they put it on the truck to begin with?
  13. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

Exhaust Gas Recirculation, Makes the truck breath its own fart.
  14. plowguy43

It was the beginning of the Emissions on Diesel trucks. Ford tried to meet EPA emissions years ahead of time ( I think it changed in 2007) so in 2003 they came out with the 6.0 that was supposed to be much better than the 7.3 (in many ways it is). Even on the brand new diesels, the emissions equipment kills the motors in every aspect (reliability, mileage, etc)
  15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Oh man, you bought a 6.0 on purpose? All of these guys here are your best friend right now. FIX THAT EGR problem in that thing right now or you are going to hate yourself WHEN that thing self destructs. The 6.0 Ford Diesel is famous for this defect. Put a little money in it, and you have yourself a classy little powerplant.

Ford has always had bad luck on their diesel engine platforms for their pick up truck line. They got screwed on 7.3 by International who made it difficult and expensive to work on by even Ford factory trained technicians, who had to pass on those cost to the end user, (All of us) Then GM, copying Ford's move by empolying an outside engine maker, went to Japan for outside help, followed by Chrysler who went to one of the most knowledgable diesel engine manufacturers to help them, Cummins.

When Ford WANTED to CHANGE diesel engine platforms, International AGAIN screwed them (And us) by threatening litigation if The Blue Oval ditched International's 444E engine program. By the way, anyone want to know why a Super Duty has so much front end capacity?

Enter the 'new' Ford 6.0 liter diesel. Somebody ought to lose their job for that one.

I hope the new Scorpion platform is as awesome as a Super Duty is!
  16. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I guess you and I get our news from different sources. GM has been getting outside help on diesels for years, I believe the 6.5 was largely designed by Detroit Diesel, GM got some help from isuzu with the duramax ( an awsome engine by any measue) but they were always manufactured in the USA and GM now makes them 100% in house.

All diesels are expensive and hard to work on compared to their gasoline counterparts I don't really think you can blame IH for that. Its my understanding that Ford screwed IH by ignoring the 6.0 design specs and added to much boost and fuel in an attempt to match the power numbers of the other manufactures. Ford sued IH for the problems and IH counter sued because Ford is the one actually tunes and installs the engines.
  17. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

The 6.7 is a single turbo and you cant get a '011 in a V-10 unless its a 450 or 550 chassis.
  18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I did read that as well, but I heard what actually happened and who was involved from some diesel performance tuners who used to work for Caterpillar. What you said was issued in the press packet. The 6.2 was a big block gasser, a GM product, and the 5.7 was also a conversion, putting it nicely. That POS. The DuraMax is nice, thank God for the Japanese, I guess.

Oh, and the Cummins is ridiculously easy to work on, and not expensive at all. I was just comparing it to the PowerStroke.
  19. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I stand corrected on the Twin turbo dealio.., that's what they told me. I was always a Dodge / Cummins guy.(Keep Strokin I'm Cummin) LOL
    Ford's specs state..."Single-Sequential Turbocharger; charged air cooler"
    They upgraded the power on the computer yesterday to bring the torque up to 800 from the 733 from the factory. They said it is a update from Ford to have more power than the D-max for 2011.
    Horsepower/rpm 400 @ 2800
    Torque lb.-ft./rpm 800 @ 1600
    All I know is I LIKE it!!!!!!!!!

The V-10 was a left over 2010 that they are trying to give away. It was cheaper by a long shot. But I want and need diesel for everything I use it for.
  20. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I'm guessing you have not looked under the hood of a 6.7L then, the engine compartment of a 6.7L makes my 7.3L look as simple as a small block chevy.