1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I share with you my first resi call of the season....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JeffNY, Oct 30, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

She starts off about how she got my number from her neighbor, ok, cool, great.

(1car wide x 2cars long, garage at the end)

lady: how much do you charge for the driveways?
    me: depends on the size and where you live, usually 20-25 bucks
    lady: why you so much money? I used to pay $11 each time
    me: well my truck runs on gas, I pay taxes, and I have insurance
    lady: I understand, but your price is double
    me: Im sorry?
    lady: he also told me he can do it this year for $260 for the whole season
    *thinking* wtf? that doesn't come out to $11
    me: ok, how about $275/season, and you won't be disappointed.
    lady: ok I guess, I go with you. The last guy made me pay in 3 monthly installments, is that ok?
    me: sure, we can do that, i'll need the first one now though
    lady: ok. and I need it plowed between 6am-9am, ok?
    me: ok thats perfect.

now that I play with a calculator, I made out pretty damn good on that.
    Just thought I'd share another $11/per push driveway story.
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you screw an old lady like that?:confused: I hope your going to atleast shovel he walk way and steps. I know we all have to make a profit but you got to have a fair price especialy for old people on a fixed income.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

He charged a 100.00 less then I would of.
  4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

na, she wasn't old, she still has to go to work. she just didnt speak very good english. and I think that price is FAIR. based on 15 snowfalls, thats $18. woop d doo.
    Factor in going back and cleaning the drive up after she brushes her car off and goes to work.
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i would have charged more too.
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I get it know I thot she was like 80 and you were only plowing her out once a storm. $18 sounds fair.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I see mercer me has enlightened us with another of his "brilliant" posts.
    Jeff.....I think you did great but i also would have charged more. $25 min for a drive here.
  8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

People have a lot of money around here which makes it tougher. Seriously...This yr it's $400. per seasonal drive as I generally lose money on them. They expect Salt too.
  9. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

All seasonal pricing, resi's start at $325+up, salt and shoveling extra. JeffNY's price seems right for the size of his overhead.
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Jeff, sounds like a $25 driveway here, usually none are less than $30. Thats per 6". If youre making money at the price you won it for, great man, good luck. Hope it works out for you. Other people are just posting prices in their area to give you a different idea of where they come from. Dont take it offensively. You know what you need to make out there.
  11. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Since she didn't speak good english, I will assume she is of foreign origin.

In my main business, I have made a decision not to deal with foreigners. They want everything done for nothing.
  12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

40,50 or 80, $18 is very cheap for a drive way . mercer how much would you plow a 85 year old lady that had 1car wide x 2cars long, garage at the end ?

remember their are older people out there that are loaded but are just to cheap to pay a fair price.
  13. big acres

big acres Senior Member

People hate being stereotyped like this... that is why I can't understand why they prove it to be true more often then not. Once and awhile, I will entertain bidding one... chinese restaurant, india grocery... no matter what country of origin PRICE is the only winner. They are probaly dissappointed with the service too... and blame it on racism. Sorry for the rant, but I have wasted too much time on these type of accounts and yet I still try not to stereotype... then I visit again and am reminded why I do.

Seem cheep to me but I know the prices in NY are way differant then ours in the burbs.... We close to the big nickle but we shovel up to a 10 ft walk
  15. aklandscape

aklandscape Junior Member

talk about cheap, guys are passing out estimate cards for double the size of that driveway for $15 per push or $200 for a season. This is in the brockport n.y. area. Try competing with this idiot. Last year it was the guy doing $99 for a season. Customers never learn until these idiots don't show up and their calling about how they need to get out to work and their GUY didn't show.
  16. Captain

Captain Senior Member

How many people here do seasonal rates for driveways???? What happens when we have a mild winter???

I usually charge $20-$30 (most are actually $25-$30) per driveway up to 12", then over 12" is 1-1/2 times the normal rate.

I do have 2 elderly people that I charge only $15, and one of them is down the street and having financial problems paying for oil. It's just a single wide, 3 cars long. She doesn't know it yet, but she's been a customer for the last 12 years - this year I'm not charging her at all.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I def dont do seasonal. My pricing is every 3" after 6". Nothing less than $30 and I go all the way up over $100.

My residential side is all seasonal, 1 payment November 1st and they are set for the winter.. It is a gamble but it all works out because the nieghbors will catch on and then your travel time cut down and so on..
  19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

whats scary about this thread is for what most of us are charging to plow a drive you can barely have a decent pizza delivered. And the pizza guy doesnt spend thousands of dollars buying and maintainng equipment, working at 3 a.m. or guaranteeing you can get out of your driveway.
    Just sad.......:dizzy:
  20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats a great gesture. It not always about the money, your act is more valuable than the 300 she may have given you for your work.:salute: Thanks for the kind example.