1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I see some BLUE fluid.......

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FisherVMan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

:help: Well after 4 years of plowing, with this xtreame v plow, last week a noticed some blue fluid coming from the pump somewhere???? Taking the covers off doesn't really revel much , and having someone cycle the plow seams to indicate that it is doing it when the plow is scooped or Ved but not positive about anything , all hoses and fitting that are exposed are fine , its certainly coming from the pump somewhere and driping down right off the bottom of it.
    Any ideas , hints or suggestions certainly appreaciated, of course I am hoping it could be anything except the pump ram seal itself and at this point thinking it most probably is that....................
    Seamed to happen last week while it was close to thiry below here for quite a few days in a row:(

2. ygim

ygim Member

It is bad fluid, you need to drain the fluid and add fresh fluid

3. jshocik

jshocik Member

I'd start by cleaning the mess up & then cycling the plow a few times to see what happens. Check the level first, as you lost some fluid. I'd also check the grey breather cap to make sure it's not clogged or anything. A fluid & filter change won't hurt either...I'd use the Fisher fluid, that's the blue stuff you're seeing.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I bet you have a bad o ring on the pressure test valve on the back of the pump.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

really, how is bad fluid gunna leak more then good fluid?

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya..... Thanks for helping out!

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

:laughing:

8. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Bad O ring!

That bad O ring sounds like a dam good place to start, thanks for that advice , yours has always been good on here for years! Tnx
    e

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Got some new O rings................... ouch

I went into Bangor Truck this morning and got an education on how completely crazy these folks have gotten with these parts prices. A gallon of hydraulic oil [aircraft grade] is thirty dollars and that seams pretty dam steep to me
    But then the final insult was the O rings for the quill screw and the test port above it was $16 and I found that bazar price for a few O rings.............. well they got me . Simple as that ;but what a GD "rip off" for an o ring
    We will see, if that solves the problem, and hopefully it will but it is going to take me a while to swallow the o ring ordeal....................:eek:

10. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I have the same problem with mine, let us know if this solves your problem.
    Is there a procedure that needs to be followed for re adjustment of the pressure? or is it a simple O ring R&R?

11. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I will install O rings today and update

The dude at the Fisher Distributer in Bangor told me that the test port directly above the Quill screw is know to be a problem one and when I said that I could see fluid in the threads down in the Quill threads, he told me that is right, but it is actually most likely coming from the 3000 psi test port above it???
    So I am guessing he knows what he is talking about , I will change them both out and see if the problem goes away , Thanks for the help
    e

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I think I bought 200 o-rings for that price in a multiple size package when I had the same problem. Hopefully it is the o-ring!

13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

gotta go try it now..............

Well the guy at the counter gave me 3 O rings total plus a little white plastic washer that is split. When I took the test port plug out there was one O ring on the end of it that was close to TWO of the ones he have me, so I choose the closest one in size, the other three don't have anything to do with this XV pump ............................. and I have no idea what that little white plastic one goes , so not sure if he gave me O rings for a different model Fisher or the space shuttle ................ he speaks like he is the guru of Fisher parts and the lord of the plowing land but I suspect he is just a counter flunky with a big ego..................... he definitely screwed this fix order up and I am located exactly 100 miles away from Bangor so it aint like I can just jump in the truck and get the right ones in 10 mins..............:confused:
    Hopefully the new one on the test port will fix it ............... if it don't oh well!
    I will be sprayin that blue juice around at 30 bucks a gallon again.:gunsfiring:

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Really! So if my truck is leaking oil and oil change will fix it?:laughing:

15. chevyzrule810

You would think he would have looked at the parts diagram to make sure he got you the correct size o-ring

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well he for sure is overconfident...........

Of course the way he was talking I figured he knew all about it, he says
    "Oh no its not the quill , that never bothers its the test port above it" we see it all the time....................... so of course I figured he knew what he was talking about. And he probably thinks I live around there and if he gave me the wrong part , I could just "pop back in" and get the right one as he blesses me again with his knowledge of Fisher Parts.................
    For me to take these back without stoping is a five hour round trip ...... in reality it would blow a day................
    Fisher should knock this sh*t off as there is NO reason to abuse loyal customers that have been with them for years...................... with O rings they want 4-5 bucks a piece for.............. at $6-7000 for a plow the o rings should be a buck a piece............. period.................. I know some of the guys down in Rockland at the factory and have sold a ton of plows for them over the last thirty years and they are for sure going to get my take on these prices and this desk jockey's image to the public in Bangor................ NOT GOOD:(

17. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Damn, sorry that happened to you. I usually go in armed with the exploded diagram to avoid that BS too, happens to much. Used to work retail for AZ/AAP during college and saw it all the time.

I subbed the thread because I had a similar issue but had a spare pump so just slapped that on there and the leaking pump has been sitting on my bench for 2 months... I haven't begun to take even the covers off to try to ID it, figured it was a fine Spring project :)

18. chevyzrule810

You would think fisher would tell you the size of the o-ring in the parts diagram so you pick up some at the local hardware store and some extras for backup