1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I see lot's of guys leave their plow blade up...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jetboy, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

...that can't be good for the front end suspension. Am I correct?

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yes sir you are.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I take mine off when we are done plowing, unless it's supposed to snow over the next few days. I don't like driving around with the plow hanging on the front, because like you said, it adds a lot of wear and tear.

4. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Is that driving down the road, when they park to run in and get a cup of coffee, while they are plowing?

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

you got a pm duca

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I think he mean people who done with snowplow and leave plow up on truck for long time.

I saw one that been do that have bend joints because it been stay up for 1 month.

For me I would try keep plow down on ground when you done.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i put my down like its a bad habit. but if the truck is still running and your going in to get gas or whatever i could leaving it hang. but some people leave them up when they go in wally world or any store.

8. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

When I start driving my truck, especially next winter, I'll have to drive with the blade up.

I have nowhere to store the blade where it's easily accessible when the snow starts flying, so I'll have to leave 'er attached. I do however, even now, always put the blade down when it's parked. In the summer when I get it fixed, I'll obviously leave the blade off, but once that first snow flies, I'll probably have to leave it on....

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Not only does it take a toll on your suspension, but the more important reason to ALWAYS lower it when you're not behind the wheel is the safety factor. It's a heavy mechanical device that can fail and come crashing down for whatever reason,on it's own failure or your kid's or dog tripping the lever. Somebody's foot or worse might take the hit.ANY raised implement should always be lowered to the ground when the operator's not sitting in the seat.

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I always drop mine for the reasons stated above, safety and less toll on the suspension. Doesn't matter if I'm parking the truck for the night or just refueling. If it isn't going to snow within a day or two, I take it off.

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I see a few people around here that leave there plows up for a couple of days, there is a garage a couple of miles away that have a 90's chevy sitting and they always leave the blade up for days, you would think they would know better?

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i usually put the plow on the night before a storm and take it off the night after the storm. and whether i park the truck for 1 min or more i always put the blade down. i cant stand when people leave thier blade up when they are away from the truck.

13. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I drop my plow all of the time, even at red lights. It really makes people pee themselves when you drop it when they walk in the crosswalk in front of you LOL Which is the only reason I do it.

14. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

my parking brake isnt the greatest so the plow kinda helps that out .... exp with teh truck being a stick lol

15. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I don't even see a reason for leaving it up in the air. When I was looking for a plow truck, and the driver had it suspended for no reason, the truck lost points. I see that as preventative maintenance. That's not only dangerous for someone who may be next to it if it fails, but also on the ball joints, shocks, coils/springs, ect...

I don't know about red lights, but anytime you get out of the truck I think it should be dropped.

16. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

I guess I didn't really say it but some figured it out anyways. I'm talking about guys leaving the blade up for weeks at a time. One person in fact (someone on my route to work) will leave his up all summer.

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

sometimes I have to drive half an hour to 45 minutes just to get to the place i plow. That 5 minutes I take to get gas I doubt it will make a big difference if the plow is up or down. But when I am done for the night the plow goes down.

18. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Leaving ur plow up is a good thing ( especially when going into stores like that ) because then it cant be stolen.....but when its parked at ur shop or house when not in use, certainly drop it down!

19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

actually i could steal it the same either way. if its up in the air i dont have to hurt my back i can just sit aginst it and push up with my legs. most people steal pumps not blades. an my pump is lock to the truck

20. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

u must have very strong legs then!!! lol:D