1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I saw this ad in North Jersey on CL. Skid Ins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

2. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

an honest scumbag...nice

GARRETTWOOD Junior Member

Very stupid, its part of your cost. That Guy will regret not having insurance sooner or later.
  4. ducaticorse

from we

Well yes, he is honest lol. But that wasnt my point. Isnt 2750 for one skid really really pricey?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Probably not, how much are you guys paying for commercial liabilty insurance? He is probably a one man band and went to his agent and said he wanted insurance(trying to be responsible). Now he is business and needs a whole new policy. That's probably a decent price, wish that was all I payed:cry:

edit. You realize just having insurance doesn't cover you when you are doing work with said piece of equipment, right? He could and probably does have insurance on his skid if it were to get stolen, fall off the trailer, catch fire, etc. Not the same insurance if he was out moving snow and hit a car, moving snowbanks and hits a gas meter or fire hydrant, etc. Same applies to your trucks!
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Yea my liability is a couple grand. Plus inland marine policy on machines and tools. Then 2500 for commercial auto. Then extra for snow. Plus comp, disability. Can't blame him really. At least hes not LOWBALLING!!!!
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You guys are paying stupid rates. I'd be shopping around.

My general liablity, mini skid insurance, seperate insurance on 2 plows, one salt spreader, two trucks covered, runs about 3k a year. Might be a bit more now that I just put my smaller Ford on my commercial policy when it was getting insured with state farm with a commercial umbrella.

I use auto-owners ins for all my business insurance.

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

I didn't bother to put the link, but also on North Jersey craigslist today there is a guy offering his dually diesel ford pickup with plow for rent for the whole winter season for $2,000.00.

Times are tough huh.

Need to compare apples to apples. I have auto owners too and encompass for personal. My stepdad is my agent guessing he isn't screwing me. I could pay less but would have less coverage too kinda goes hand in hand.
  10. alldayrj

I'm also on long island. I got quotes 4x higher. Farm family all day
  11. White Gardens

Ya, I guess my mini is half the price of a full size skid, but it just seems like I've got a ton of stuff on my list and it's still reasonable.

12. alldayrj

The stuff on your list is part of liability or theft etc?. I have $10k in tools on my dump truck covered. Add a mixer and two full size skids and its a lot. Plus it also depends on the vehicle. A one ton pickup is cheaper than a MDT.
  13. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

you guys have no concept of how expensive insurance is here in NJ

2750 is the average cost of one plow truck

I pay 8k in plowing insurance with a clean record

its becuase of all the scum hump ambulance chasing lawyers

Had a friend just get served paperwork for being sued from a storm 2 decembers ago, claimed they tripped on a curb that was "chipped" by a snow plow.

The curb is is 200 yards from any store against a retaining wall. So tell me how do you "trip" on a curb out in the middle of now where with nothing around.

between the lowballers, high insurance, expensive equipment and giving up my winters not going away Its almost time to give it up. But what do I know only been plowing for 20 years!

and forget the HOAs that want workers comp, I just walk away from those!!!! last time I got a quote for workers comp it was another 12k
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

When the Freight was new the first 2yrs it was over $6k/year.:dizzy:
  15. White Gardens

You know, I'm glad you pointed that out as I was just thinking it probably depends on what region of the country you are in.

16. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

NJ and the insurance cost.
  17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I have one truck with a plow on it, and I'm paying $1250 a year to let it sit in my yard, or in my garage.

Sounds cheap, huh ?:dizzy:
  18. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My Dads truck is 4K and all he does is general contracting, not sure what mine is on his insurance...
  19. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

It is getting difficult to get insured at all. My rates are reasonable at $3000/yr no losses. My insurance agent has been looking for other contractors and can not find insurance for some with losses. Ones with clean records are paying 8k or more and this coverage may not include commercial. NJ insurance companies are simply walking away and dropping snow removal coverage.
  20. ducaticorse

from we

4K is SUPER high in MA for one truck comprehensive unless you have a horrible driving record.