1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I put a Sno-Way plow on a 2014 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by NoProblem, Sep 1, 2014.

1. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

The truck is 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 with a 5.3 liter and 3.08 rear axle ratio. I have about a mile of driveway + side road to plow, so this setup is for personal use - not commercial.

The blade is a steel (not poly) Sno-Way 26 series, 7'-6" long with down pressure. It took them about 10 hours to install this blade. The shoes and deflector are on order and should arrive any day.

With subframe, this blade weighs 560 lbs. Total cost of blade installed $5194.72, but I get a $300 rebate and a Carhart jacket for buying this thing so that will drop the price to about $4800.

Weight of truck without blade is 5780 lbs.
    With blade is 6340 lbs.
    Front axle with blade is 4100 lbs.

Door tag says front axle max weight is 3950 lbs so the blade puts me 150 lbs over weight on the front axle - not too bad, but that will drop once I put 500 lbs or so in the box for ballast. I'll scale it again once I actually put the weight in the box. Not that it's *that* big of a deal since I do not plan to plow commercially, more just for my own info then anything I guess.

I hardly notice the additional weight on the front, but I do notice the lack of weight in the rear because the drive tires spin rather easily when taking off from a stop - hence the need for ballast.

The furthest part of the truck forward is the front end of the subframe, it drops 1 inch when the blade is raised, the front fender at the top of the wheel well only drops about 1/2 inch when raised.

So far I've only had the blade on and off 4 times, the first time it took me about 5 minutes to unhook, but now it only takes less than one minute to hook or unhook from the truck and drive away, it is really easy to hook and unhook - that's a major feature for me which I really like.

I don't care too much for the subframe bracketry hanging low from under my front bumper when the blade is off, but that's about the worst thing I can see at the moment and It's something I'm already almost used to seeing.

The other thing is that the bottom of the bracketry is only 7 inches off the ground without the blade on (drops to 6 inches when the blade is raised) - seems like they should be able to improve on that but for me, it won't matter since I don't do any off roading, but it may be a factor for those who do.

Also they removed my front tow hooks because they said they had to, but if I get the gumption, I will see if I can put them back on - I think I can but may have to drill a few holes for the plow wiring, will see about that.

The temperature gauge normally runs about 210 degrees, but with the blade up (though as low as I care to have it) while driving 50 - 60 mph, the temperature goes up to about 225 degrees and holds steady there. It was about 83 degrees outside that day, so perhaps in winter it wouldn't run that hot for those who will keep the blade on when they aren't plowing.

I have no doubt that this blade on this truck will work real well for me and for now, I am very, very happy with it! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Pictures below are shown with 640 lbs over the rear axle, but that did not take any weight off the front axle at all, so I took the 640 lbs and put behind the rear axle which then put the front axle to 3980 lbs - - almost to specs max of 3950 lbs. So for those with the identical setup who plan to drive around with the blade on, you should put at least 700 lbs in the box behind the rear axle, not over it, if you want to be at or below max weight on your front axle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good overall, that mount kills it

Why 10 hours?

3. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

Yes, I'm not too crazy about the mount - the first time it gets me stuck, I'll lift the truck 3" and hope for the best, but it's good for now.

They said this was the first install they did on a 2014 and that normally it takes about 4 or 5 hours on 2013s and earlier. They said that for 2014, the fascia / bumper configuration is more complex which caused them to do additional work as well as take the tow hooks right off.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

$5200!!!! :dizzy: :whistling:

5. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

Yep, that's what plows cost nowadays. I shopped around for this one and this was the best deal I found within 50 miles. The most expensive was $5800 and the least expensive was $5300, neither of those prices included installation, shoes, down pressure or deflector.

Boss was my other choice since the dealer is close to me - closer than the Sno-Way dealer, but it doesn't even offer a steel blade for my size truck, or down pressure or wireless control - and they still wanted $5500 not including installation.

New blades ain't cheap.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You might want to put something around the exposed wires by the connectors to protect them from ice chunks or anything else that may get in there and wedge them apart. Something like electrical tape.

7. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

Good idea, thank you! I will do that.

8. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

yep they are expensive espessially if you only do your own drive like me and don't make any money off it hard to justify, that's one of 3 reasons I bought one of those cheapy home owner plows and cobbled my own mounts and hydraulic system to operate it , other 2 reasons light weight and a rubber edge wont tear up grass etc to bad . I have about 1400 into mine or so only 130 lbs approx. . but if you use yours to make money then the cost would be acceptable I think .

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He has down pressure, wireless controls, a EZ fit deflector plus installation AND a $300 dollar rebate. If he'd gone wired, gravity, cheap deflector and self install it could have better than a grand less.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And your point to this whole thread is????

11. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

I started this thread to give the next guy with a late model Silverado who is looking to put a Sno-Way Plow on his truck some information on the subject. Information that I couldn't find when I was searching for info before plunking down the cash for one of these.

There is plenty of info online about other older trucks with various different plows, but nothing at all out there for 2014 Silverado 1500s with a Sno-way 26 series that I could find.

Now if someone googles this setup as I did, they have this thread and can post their opinion or questions, you know, pretty much the same reason everyone else posts - if it's of no interest to you, move along, there's nothing to see here.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well said, keep up the good info......after all, isn't that the purpose of plowsite?

13. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

Thanks and yes, that is the purpose of this site.

14. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

Yes, I could have gone a lot cheaper, but I got the one I wanted.

As it is, I got a good deal when I bought the truck so the cost of the plow added to my truck is still less than the current market rate for just the truck.

But the real beauty is that now when I go to plow the snow, I can remote start the truck from inside, maybe brush off the snow from the windows, hop into a warm truck and enjoy the whole experience for a change. Beats the snot out of plowing with an old tractor - which I still have in case we get dumped on with more snow than the truck can handle.

15. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have a remote start on mine too; love it. I start it when I get out of the shower and by the time i get into it, it's warm and the windows are all melted (and the doors aren't frozen shut)

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You are correct and I apologize. I guess after driving for ten hours yesterday I was a little out of it and just didn't understand your reason for your post.

17. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

No problem!

18. BD1

BD1 Member

Did they have to add 2" leveling kit to the coils or cit into your bumper?

19. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

Looks good! I have the 29HD and love the wireless controller and down pressure.

20. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Lifting the push beam would change the angle of the plow, which is likely to cause adverse performance. Something to consider.