1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Purchased the Snow and Ice removal book by Sean

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Neariah, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Okay, so I purchase Seans book, and I got it instantly with no problem. I scanned through it reading all the chapter titles and information that was within. Though the book offered alot of the information I will need from filing,billing, tracking, and even hiring employee's, it didn't touch on what I was hoping it would...

Can someone point me in the direction of where we can learn how to snow plow a commercial lot?
    What materials you'll need?
    How many people?
    How to start a job?
    how to finish a job?
    Vendors to get materials from etc?

I know these question may be standard information for some, but for folks like me it is critical for starting.

I can learn my price once I find out what I need. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I've plowed for almost 30 years now and even I sometimes still pickup some thing new. practice makes perfect ,you can't read on how to plow,

3. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

This is funny, you've plowed for 30 years and Im 32...

The last time I worked snow was when my Father 1st started his company back in 1986 on the back of a Ford 250 with a patch of dirt. My job was to toss the sand out the back of the truck, and not fall off.

I'm sure things have changed since then, but I never have believed that experience is the only teacher. There is always a process is what I'm trying to say. I doubt most here simply show up and just start running the trucks/bobcats on the first layer of the lot they touch. There has to be a procedure that everyone follows year to year, job to job, and thats the information I'm seeking.

We clean lots, landscape, and stripe. Each division has its procedure and I'm hoping that snow removal works the same. If not this can potentially damage a very new business relationship. Your advice on giving the job to a local competitor is fine with me, but that will only be a temporary fix. The issue of experience you speak of with contracting the services out still leaves us with little to none.

My goal is to learn as much as possible now. Present a price now to get the job. Act as if it will be me and my crew doing the job this winter. And contract it out by September if I'm still in the same position I'm in right now. Knowing yada

Not trying to be a jerk, but I know there is something more than what I've been told so far.
    Shalom

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. grandview

Plowing is not a set thing. Unlike stripping and lawn care where your schedule is more or less set,with snow if it snowing in the morning you may start your route somewhere else as opposed to if it started at 10pm .Many times I've started my route in the middle of it ,It just depends on when it snows and what time your places open up or close.

contracts start going out now.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This guy thinks like a national!

6. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

I think I caught that...LOL

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

There are way to many variables in plowing snow to do the same thing every time it snows. You have to be able to adapt, and overcome each and every time you pull into a lot. No text book is going to tell you how to handle each situation. Only time and experience will solve every problem. If you want to just read and get your answers, then you might be doomed to fail in this business.

8. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

So aside from getting the experience by simply failing at it, what do you suggest? Doing it for free? Asking if we can just be responsible for the side walks? Im seeking the first step I can take toward becoming a professional and any advice that is meaningful to starting a business.

9. grandview

Only real way to learn is to jump right in and lean. Just bid higher ,better to lose them being to high then bitching at a low bid and losing money.

10. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Work as a sub, plowing for someone else for a year. There is no better place to learn than in the drivers seat.

11. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

I'm no fool and Ive taken everyone's advice here into consideration. Im going to do my best to team up with someone this year while I setup for next year. I know a big part of my growth will be keeping in contact with these boards

12. grandview

Good choice.Thumbs Up