1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Pulled The Pins and........

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Moss Man, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I have had a Fisher MM1 for years and pretty much got used to getting the thing on and off the truck. Now the MM2 comes along on my second truck and things are different. I didn't get the manual with the truck, but the directions are on the frame of the plow. I drop the jack and dog it in place, when I release the plow pins the headgear slams all the way forward and the whole rigs drops below optimum height for putting the plow on next time.

I'm sure I am doing it wrong and I am sure I should have done a better search here before posting this.

I do manage to get the plow on and off with good old Yankee Ingenuity, but I would hope there is an easier way to corral this beast of iron. :mechanic:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

When you line up the truck tilt the headgear towards the plow a little bit. Then drive in and push headgear to truck while lifting lever to lock it. Make sure visually both pins click. To get off move head gear toward truck a little when you release.

3. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I haven't been pushing the headgear towards the truck before I release the pins, perhaps this will help. When I release the pins the headgear slams forward and it is too heavy to push back up when I put the plow back on. It's already on for this storm, but when I take it off this time, I'll try it. Thanx. Thumbs Up

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Did the dealer adjust the chain when you bought it? The other thing is the cable and spring that is attached to the lift triangle.Mine wasen't tight and when I would back out of the plow the headgear would fall back,so I adjusted it.When you go to hook onto the plow drive into it.Take the headgear and push it toward the truck and lock the pins in place.Lift up the leg plug in your wires and your good to go.When you go to take it off drop the leg,push the headgear towards the truck and pull the lever to release the pins.Pushing the headgear toward the truck releases pressure from the pins releasing the pins from the pushplates,then disconnect your wires.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

my dealer told me that before i unhook anything i should drop the plow into float mode and then push the chains in/push the triangle down to take the pressure off the chains.. also make sure the sfaety chain is hooked up

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

yes put your plow in float mode and drop the lift triangle as far as the controller will let you.Then when you go to take the plow off push down the lift triangle down.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Moss Man, this is pure speculation, but I think what you maybe doing is pulling the handle and dropping the kick stand and pulling the pins at the same time. What you need to be doing is pulling the small handle on the side first to drop the kick stand down, when you do this, slightly move the larger front handle forward a couple inches (just so it doesn't lock into place with the side one again....then, go around the front of the headgear, push the headgear back towards the truck, at the same time while your holding it, pull the big front handle towards you.

Here is a link to your owners manual as well.
    If your still having issues in couple weeks, bring it to the meet in Auburn and I'll go over it with you to determine if it's operator or machine error lol.

8. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

What I'm hearing is that it clicked down a couple inches then locking in? When you go to unhook it next time:
    1. Pull the jack lever on the side and pull the big pin handle forwards
    2. Go to the front of the plow and push back on the headgear with one hand, if the jack hasn't locked in then you push on the headgear with one hand, and hit the jack down to the next notch.
    3. Now pull the pin release handle and undo the wiring connections.
    Sorry if this dosen't make sense!

9. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanx guys, I believe I have a better handle on what I was doing wrong. I wasn't pushing back on the headgear when detaching the pins, therefore the headgear is off balance and slams forward.

Also, thanx for the manual link, that is going to come in real handy!

Fortunately the plow is all mounted and ready for this storm.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  10. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I removed the plow today and it went a LOT smoother doing it the way you guys recommended. I also got the PDF for the owner's manual and that helped as well.

Part of the problem is the pin that holds the jack in place, it is rusted and dry and doesn't move in or out easily. I bought some spray Lithium for it today and that should cure that. ;)

Pushing the headgear towards the truck seems to firm up the position on the jack providing a better balance. When I pulled away from the plow, the headgear shifted slightly back towards the truck but stopped in the perfect position for reattachment.

Thanx guys.

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Sweet Thumbs Up

12. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

im glad you got it all figured out so its easier for you now

13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well the is no doubt that you can always learn . I went to look at a 8.5 V a few weeks ago and the old guy told me that he had figured out the easyest possible way to push the headgear back towards the truck so the pins will pop into place and he offered to show me. I just push mine up with one hand but he is almost 80 years old and has a heart condition. So he pulls his truck into the plow and then jumps out and walks up to the plow facing the blade and steps in and grabs the handle and pulls back on it to the spring ears he is bent over at this point he then puts his shoulders up against the headstock bottom bar in that bent over position; and then simply raises his back up like he is just going to stand back up straight and POP goes the pins in slick as a wet eel!!!
    Simple as that; without ever exerting himself in anyway an 80 year old can shove that headgear up with his back; as easy as a big man would with both hands!!! Cleaver technique I thought. When I got home I tryed it a couple of times myself; and it was amazing how LITTLE effort it took to do it that way ! Anyway when you get all praticed up see how much faster you can do it than this guy does?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wKu1t2jGQ

14. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

The problem you seem to have had was not locking the jack stand into a spot before removing the holding pins. I always give the head gear a push towards the truck before releasing the pins, it usually gives and extra 1/2 inch or so to lock in the next higher hole and then you have no issues removing the main pins.

Personally dont use lithium, hit your auto part store up for a tub of marine grease and lube every pivot point and all the pins. It doesnt wash away in the weather like lithium does. I did mine like this for the first time this winter and what a difference.