1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I plowed with a 2wd

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

My 4x4 chucked an axle and I was not able to get it fixed in time for the storm we received, and being it is south central Indiana I really didn't figure on needing the blade as bad as the spreader so put my spreader on my 2wd Cummins 2500 single rear wheel pickup and went and got a pallet of salt... sat it down pretty good and figured what the hey might as well put the blade on it to see how it does... surprised me it did OK had a harder time taking off at intersections than I did actually pushing LOL didn't get stuck once... made a boatload on salting and found out a 2wd COULD be a decent secondary or backup truck, but I really would not have one as a primary plowtruck... Our city has a couple of F450 V10's with 8'6" Western striaght blades, they are 2wd's and they don't even use ballast.. think yesterday I saw a half ton 2wd mid 80's Chevy pushin with a 7.5' Western... didn't look to have hardly any ballast if any....

Now I still would not condone this type of behavior but if your in a bad spot it can work! Pics later gotta go for now.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

BushHogBoy, welcome back??... Last I heard you were selling every thing?

What did you do to your truck?(axle) Where you out wheeling in the woods again?

3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Indeed... there's a lot less snow when the blade's dropped, so your tires get traction off the pavement.

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

And how much snow was this?

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Like 2-3".....

I'm not saying I would do it any more than i had to but it can be done for a backup truck or a secondary rig, however if in questionable areas or more than a few inches, I wouldn't wander far from a 4x4...

Eric

6. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I wasted an axle in my own driveway at the beging of a of snowstrorm 2 years ago in my K10. The truck already had 300# of sand it in the bed for ballast so i just backed into a snow bank and drove my snowmobile into the bed for an extra 500#. I was able to finish all my drives that day without gettng stuck but it wasnt fun.

2wd can be done I guess