1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i ordered me a 06 1 ton 4X4 yesterday..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Nov 19, 2005.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

it has the duramax 360hp/650lb.ft. engine and the 6 speed allison :nod:

ive never owned a diesel before..how do i break this doOd in? whats the hot tip for oil..ive always been a valvoline guy..

ive got 6 weeks before it get here..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Congrats on the new truck. Can't wait to see pics of it! What type of plow are you going ot hang onto it. A good place for GM Diesel questions is www.dieselplace.com

William

3. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Good for you! I second the link to the diesel place...and add www.thedieselpage.com Lots of good info there! The down and dirty...use regular oil of your choice (non synthetic) every 3-5k until break in is over then the synthetic of choice for extended interval. The biggy is changing the rear diff oil, give it about a thousand miles, then load a trailer, or the bed and pull some good loads for extended periods. Then change the oil. You will be amazed at how much crap comes out of it! The locker rear needs a load pulled on it to "set" the gear wear right from the start. (It also seats the piston rings as well!) The diff oil will be clean from then on. I took taht same advice and have changed it twice, first at 1100 mi, lots of metal etc, second at 10000, perfectly clean!! You will love that engine tranny combo. Enjoy!

Bill

4. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

no plow for me, im a commercial refrigeration person..truck will be packed with freon and related crap..the book on the silverado says theres synthetic in the rear axel from the factory..do i still need to change it??

thanks for the links guys..:drinkup:

5. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Yep, need to get all the casting crap and break in metal out...just be sure you replace it with equivalent oil, GM uses some sort of propietary grape smelling oil, however I believe there are a few acceptable replacements...I used amsoil, and if ever I have a warranty issue I will put GM's juice back in, it is way to expensive for what you get. I can replace the oil 3 times with quality synthetic for the cost of one GM fluid change!

Bill

By the way, I do Auto A/C work, R12 and 134a, have done a few HVAC units but not my bag...

Also....please let me know if you get the 6 speed Allison, they are reportedly putting them in the '06's but only when they run out of the 5 speeds..I hope you are one of the lucky ones!! Better mileage!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  6. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

i dont do automotive, except my own..i do commercial stuff.
    i just went through my 4X4 s10 (87) rear end, replace bearings and seals along with the brakes..i used mobil1 rear end oil 75w/90 full synthetic..
    the stuff looked like water...is this stuff ok for the locking differential?

yea, i have the allison 6 speed(mw7) tranny..my truck is being built as we speak..:nod:

on a side note, you know the price of r12 is comming down? im using it when i have a small unit1-3 lbs..i hate the new ****..

7. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Not sure if the Mobil meets GM's standard that they wrote for thier oil! However someone with more knowledge in that area on one of the two sites linked will definately know!

Nice to know 12 is coming down, as 134 has gone up 100% over the past 2-3 years! It is one of those "I wish I had bought a ton of that stuff" kinda deals. The last time R12 came down GM was the cause, they released a bunch back into the market that they had horded up!

Bill

Cant wait to hear about the truck!