1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need your preferences and opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Patriot, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Patriot

Patriot Junior Member

First off, I'm a plow dealer. I have been trying to determine why certain users prefer trip blades or trip edges and why some people prefer handheld versus joystick controllers. I'm well schooled in the selling features of both but would like to hear from all of you. We're located here in New England where trip edge is the preferred style. I personally like the merits of full trip. Also, the handheld contriollers are now the rage but I find a nice door clip mounted joystick like our BOSS plows to be the easiest. What are your thoughts?
  2. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

i have used both types of controllers. Handheld and Joystick. My preference is the handheld. In most of the applications that I used the joystick. It was permanently mounted in one spot. After 25 hours of non-stop plowing you kind of get tired of reaching to the same spot. With the handheld it gives you the flexibility to relax your arm wherever there is an armrest. Plus its easier to use while you are backing up. As far as the trip blades go I like the full trip better. I had a friend with the trip edge style. He caught a curb higher then the trip and to make a long story short he was done for the night. And made $1500 less that year.
  3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I own both.I think the full trip plow scrapes better,but i don't feel they are made as heavy duty as the trip edge plows. As far as the controls go, hand held is a little more comfortable for those real long days and nights of plowing.I can lean on my center console with the controller in my hand.
  4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I prefer a full trip. Its my opinion that a trip edge is too hard on the truck when it trips. And i like to know where exactly where the plow controls are. I dont want to have to hunt them down. So needless to say I also prefer the controls to be mounted so that i can get used to their placement...Rob
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer a trip edge plow. For the heavy snowfalls or the packed ones the full trip seems to go over or lay down and you loose a lot of the snow under the plow. The trip edge might trip but the plow stays upright and keeps going. I had a hand held controller for 3 snow falls. It was a square box that was flat and I was always looking for the right spot to push. I now have my joystick mounted at the end of my console and it is in the perfect position and I would not trade this. For the people that have to mount the joystick on the dash it can be tiring on those long nights.
  6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I had both type at one time back in 86-87, but now only trip edge plows are on my trucks. Were I am on the Coast North of Boston with the kind of heavy wet snow we often get here, trip edge plows work the best for me.
  7. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

I prefer trip edge , seems to be heavier duty. dont want to turn on interior lights to find handheld!
  8. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Full trip blade & joystick control.
  9. empire

empire Member

full trip sems to be more forgiving.and hand held is the most comfortable.
  10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I like a full trip plow, unless its a V plow. I have not had good luck with our 9.2 boss as it doesnt trip at all when hitting most obsticles. Have broken many cutting edges and bent the moulboard. Also have a 8 ft Boss super duty straight and it perfomed verywell even hit and driving over 8 inch tall curb.
    I use a seat or console mounted controller. Less fumbling around than a handheld or door mounted unit. I use both hands when plowing and would not want to have a controller in my hand while shifting or steering.
  11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I could go either way with the method of trip, the 2 plows I use most often are full trip, never had a problem with too much or lack of tripping. It can be a pain to loose all the snow, but my plows don't trip too easily, you have to really be trying. I use a trip edge fisher V-Plow on occasion and it is nice not to loose all the snow and keep plowing foward. Controller: I much perfer small joysitcks like the fisher/western, mounted on the left dash under the vent. Handheld always moves and i don't like pushing buttons, i like moving my hand the way I want the plow to go. I don't have to keep looking down at the joystick control.
  12. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

looks to me like it all boils down to personal preference
  13. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I like full trip with wireless remote. I have used curtis and fisher in the past and i think both are good products, however,i'm now a snoway guy for many reasons. Snoways R & D is constantly improving the product and receiving new patents all the time! They are always in front with new tech!