1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need your opinion

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lawnman24949, Dec 10, 2011.

1. lawnman24949

lawnman24949 Junior Member

I currently have a landscaping company and have had it for the last 5 years. I have never done any plowing but am consider getting into it next year. Here is my dilemma I am 17 and still in school so I wont be able to do the plowing myself. Through some networking I was able to find a guy who used to work in the winter plowing because he was at a construction company and many people have told me he is a very good equipment operated which is relieving since he will be using my truck. I was wondering if you guys who have been in plowing for awhile think this will work. Also my dad was talking to a friend who plows 200 driveways with 4 trucks so if my equipment ever breaks down he could do my route for me. Even though I will not be plowing this year I already know of 40 accounts I could be plowing next year. There are 20 driveways on one street where I have a bunch of lawns and on the other side of town (5 miles) is another 18 driveways with the other two being commercial lots that are fairly small. Do you think this is to much even though he has plowed driveways before. Also my plan was I would plow on weekends and over my winter break and at the beginning of the year have him teach me to plow but still pay him. One last question is what would you pay him I was thinking about $15 or 16 an hour but am not sure thanks for reading.
  2. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

well lawnman i did the same exact thing i started when i was in high school i was 16, ive been plowing for 24 years now. I did all my plowing while in school and my dad did it when i was in school during the day for me. i think your starting out with the correct move by having a older gentleman help you out.
    good luck and the wage sounds good
  3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Heres my opinion. weather you really want it or not. First is For just starting out your ALLMOST on the right track. I say allmost because it's a great idea to have someone with experience to teach you what to do and not to do. It's also good that you have someone lined up in case you get in a pinch. and it's also not a bad idea to have a second guy to help you. Although to say you will plow nights and weekends, well you never know because you don't have any control over when it snows, or how much it's gonna snow. next is the number of contracts your talking about. Since you are new to this I would recomend starting out with 5 or 6 driveways only. This way you will be learning without getting overwhelmed. Also It's great that another guy is willing to help you if something happens to your truck, but remember he has his own contracts to attend to as well. After you get a season or two experience under your belt, then you can look into expanding. Untill you get the feel for it I would stay away from commercial properties because if you get a good amount of snow you may need to go back to them several times during a storm. And I think $15.00 an hour is a good price to pay your helper, especially if he's gonna teach you. Last is just make sure you have the proper insurance.
    Good luck.
  4. lawnman24949

lawnman24949 Junior Member

Now since this is still a full year away I still have to work many things out but if I ended up not plowing and just had the guy handle them all do you think this is to much for him. With still being in school I could just do all the billing and returning of phone calls until I am out and maybe have him take me out some random weekend and practice on some of the drives.
  5. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

And if the guy gets sick? Dies? Breaks his ankle? Burns down the truck? Tells you to F-off? Work for someone else for a year to build your knowledge. Refrain from hiring employees until you're old enough to enter into a contract.
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

couldn't agree more with the last one. It is tough to tell somone to do somthing that you yourself cannot do yourself. If that guy is suppose to go out, and he dosen't, non of the customers are going to give him a bad name... just you.

I can tell you from experience that guys that work for you are never going to care as much as you do. If you have a good guy, he will care... but still not to the same degree that you will.

If I were you, I would wait till you can do them yourself then jump in.