1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need to be in ohio

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sleepyhead, Dec 23, 2004.

1. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Junior Member

I see you guys alot of snow 20". I think I will load the pile up and that way. :D Just kiddin

2. topher4519

topher4519 Junior Member

I live in ohio. We have lots of snow. Please don't send anymore for a while. Need some sleep.

Thanks,
    Christopher

3. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Broke the pins on my plow and got my skid steer stuck about 4 times. Snow to rain to snow makes for some real heavy snow to push.

Not complaining tho, I love snow :)

4. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ll drive to you guys in Ohio, and load some snow in my truck and bring some back to CT. Kill two birds with one stone. Ease your snow situation, and plant some around here ! :rolleyes:

5. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

we need some snow here in chicago, the snow storms always pass by us, i hope you ohio guys are doing fine, i know snow is good, but lots of it kills the plow and the truck.

6. youngdude

youngdude Junior Member

The city plow trucks are getting stuck in this mess. So far I have 18 inches and drifts well over 30 inches. Tomarrow will be the last day at this!!!

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Junior Member

If I knew I had the work and someone to take the plow out of the back of the truck I would ride up. And work.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It finally stopped snowing, maybe I can some sleep now only if that dam phone will stop ringing...Rob

9. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

wow what a mess, the added rain really made for some of the roughest pushing ive seen yet!! fortunately everything made it back in one piece.but boy the phone never stopped ringing!!! :nod:

10. mdd

mdd Member

20 hrs straight in the truck

real heavy stuff

over 100 phone calls

11. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

What a nasty storm.. like everybody says, some of the heaviest snow I can remember. I had to take some off in layers till I got to the bottom. Even in 4 Lo I couldn't push much of a pile before my plow would trip or the tires would start spinning. I live in Medina and there's probably 13 or 14 inches on the ground. Probably would be 2 feet if it hadn't turned to rain overnight.

12. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Between 8-10 here with Ice on top. What pain to do. Like was mentioned before it had to come off in layers. Twenty hours out on Thursday and Finished up some residential today. Went by some commerical property's and the city plowed them back in. Had to try moving a block of ice. Not fun at all. :nono:

13. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

What method do you folks use moving the large "blocks of ice" in the drives? Just chip away at it and try to bust it up? Any tricks you can share?

14. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I haven't really found a way to chip it.. I've tried dropping the plow on it but it really doesn't work. What I do is drop my plow, then raise it till it looks like I'll take maybe a 2 or 3 inch bite off the top. I'll push that, then continue until it's gone. I have a 3/4 ton Silverado with 1000 lbs of ballast in the back, not to mention all the snow that's piled in there, and my truck still wouldn't move much in the way of depth, even in 4 lo, and keeping the transmission in "1". My commercial & contract customers weren't too bad, because I plowed them with the storm, and only had to move a couple of inches at the most that had been soaked with water & ice. But all the people who only call when they really need it (actually they don't call until way past the time they need plowed) & flag downs were a nightmare because they hadn't been touched. I turned a bunch of stuff down for fear of getting stuck, if it was real hilly, etc. I had a few people pay for me just to move the 2-3 ft. pile of ice & snow the city put at the bottom of the apron with their plows. A good moneymaker but I'm glad it's over!

15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last one was in the middle of the storm, measured 2"+ a hour snowfall

13"-16" in locations and I am still plowing residentials

as for the hardpack at the end, I have a tracked snowblower for those that goes right through it

or if it is too deep I just put it in low-lock and engauge the E-lockers and BONNZI

16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

17. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

You guys need help we are available . can supply 5 trucks with blades some with V boxes , Coming from Maryland , I can bring back hoes too . If you have the work I can supply equip and men . Emaile me for info . Matt
    rachett1@aol.com

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It took me 3 days but we are finally all dug out...Rob

19. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Weds. was horrible here in cleveland. I took the little s-10 over to my companys retail store to plow the lot and the stuff was so wet and heavy the s-10 could not do it.

Went to the warehouse and got my bosses new plow truck, a 2005 GMC 2500 with a Boss V-blade plow and even with that truck it was basically full force into the snow to make it move.

We dident open the store that day. By the time the lot was cleen enough to drive on it was almost noon.

Snow I like, Ice I hate.

20. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

If you went down West Smith Rd, you probably saw me getting stuck :D