1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need some serious help...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MsQueen, Dec 28, 2004.

1. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I am having such difficulty putting on my plow. I have a minute mount (which is really a half hour mount) that I have difficulty rocking back and forth for the pins to engage. I am only 5' 1" and am not tall enough for the leverage needed. Is there a better way to dismount it so I don't have as much of a problem?

Thanks.

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Is the piston on the headgear all the way down? so there is chain slack.Is there some wd40 or white grease on the pins?

3. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

yes to both.

Yes, there is plenty of chain slack. I do have Lithium (sp?) grease on both pins. It always seems like my truck is too high, about 1-2 inches lower I would be able just to drive in and they pop in themselves, but oh no...I got to rock that damn thing for about 15 minutes than finally get someone to help me.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have used a couple of MM1 plows(on a f250 and two f250SD's) and never had any problems. Always drove up till the head gear tipped a bit forward, got out pushed the headgear back in place, and popped the pins, lifted the jack, connected the electric and off I went.

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Do you have the Fisher "dismount tool" (piece of pipe with threaded rod welded to it)?

Are you mounting and dismounting the plow on a reasonably flat firm (preferably paved or frozen) surface? If the plow sinks into the ground while sitting you're gonna have trouble.

I feel that the key to getting the plow mounted lies in dismounting it at the correct height (higher rather than lower). You need to take the lever and put slide it in under the push frame and engage the threaded rod into the bottom hole in the jack stand and lift up on the end of the bar until the jack stand clicks into the next notch up from where it dropped. This will/should leave the plow frame slightly high when you back out. Then what I do when I hook up is let the head gear lay back (lowers the mount ears) and line the truck up and drive in. Then I tip the headgear forward (brings the ears up under the truck side mounts and release the pins. At this point just a little wiggling of the headgear is sufficient for the pins to pop in to place.

These are just a few of the tricks I have found in the short time I have had mine. I hear people b**** about the way the Fisher MM's go on and off all the time (here and in person) and really don't understand it. I have no problems with mine at all.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Something else you can try is what I actually do with my 9' Fisher:

Put something under the moldboard (blade) like a couple pieces of 6"x6" or concrete blocks. This will leave more slack in the chain when you push the lift piston down. You've got the right idea with greasing the pins, but also make sure they or the frame they sit in aren't bent. You'll still have to lift the angle, but try using a 2x4 board about 4 or 5 feet long for leverage. Not sure where would be best for you to pry from - maybe between the triangle and the frame? With the 7 1/2', I've been able to just drive in and "bump" it a little and the pins would go into place. But, it has to be set on a flat surface and everything "just right".

I really think it would be just as easy for you to stand on the A-frame, behind the moldboard and push to rock it in place.

7. hesko1

hesko1 Member

Fisher minute mount

MsQueen, Do you have this mounted on a 1/2 ton truck? Sounds like you don't have enough spring in the front end. I have a minute mount on the front of my dodge 99' the plow only cost me $250.00 (thats all I would ever pay for a fisher, I don't like the trip edge, I plow over curbs all the time.) Besides that though, I am impressed with the minute mount itself once I got the hang of it. I still leave the darn leg down over half the time. It takes me less than a minute to put it on. I am self made plow man myself, But the Fisher has saved our butts Twice in the last two years as a backup.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

the eisiest way to fix this is to sell it and get a western ulta mount less than 2 miniutes no fighting no pushing no shoving just drive up, flip the catches over, plug in 2 plugs, and i'm gone. :drinkup:

9. naco

naco Member

Try fully extending your snow shoes, then lower the blade and dismount.

10. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Thanks for all the suggestions but I am on a flat surface and for some reason the truck height is too high. It is a 1/2 ton truck with timbrens. What is the "dismount tool"?
    I have removed the snow shoes so that is not an option.

When I drive into the plow, I can see the whole headgear move forward and once I cannot go any further I get out and see the pin holes about 1-2 inches above where they should be. If only I could get the jack stand to the next highest notch when I am removing the plow--can this be done?

Thanks again to all.

11. Mick

from Maine

Yes, with that "dismount tool". It's a hollow rod with a bolt sticking out of one end. You pry up the jackstand when you disconnect. That may solve your whole problem. Get an owner's manual for your plow and it will explain how to use it. You may be able to get one from a Fisher dealer or from their website. As a last resort, let me know and I'll send you mine.

(edit) - actually you're lifting the frame to the next higher hole on the jackstand, not lifting the jackstand.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  12. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

A long crow bar will probably work.

I am assuming you got the plow used and without manuals? You can downlaod the appropriate manual for your snow plow online at www.fisherplows.com

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

is the fisher adjustable for truck height?

I know my ultramount has 4 settings depending on your truck height, obviously a 3/4 ton truck sits higher then a 1/2 ton truck so they give you
    4 different settings when you set the plow up for the first time, its not something you can do quickly, it involves bolting it up a certain way when you assemble it.

not sure if Fisher has adjustments on the plow for this?

14. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

wood

Simple solution:

Put wood blocks under the blade or jack stand. If the truck is too high, you either have to lower the truck or raise the blade when its disconnected. Figure out how far you're off and put a piece of wood under the jack stand, which is as thick as your "gap." Whenever you dismount the plow, just put it on those wood blocks and you'll be lined up perfectly every time.

15. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I bought the plow new and could not find anything in the manual relating to this.

Thanks.

16. Vinny B

Vinny B Junior Member

to ms queen

the same thing happened to me the 1st time I tried to attach my mm2 to my 2500HD..my problem was that I already had my ballast in the rear of the truck..and therefore lifted the front end about 2 inches...I removed the ballast and solved the problem...then called fisher and was told to drive into the plow..push it a bit...now with ballast in the truck or not...30 seconds or less to put on....my 1st time I was horizontal just like superman..feet on fence and and hands on the plow in the pouring rain....hope this helps..vinny :waving:

17. Mick

from Maine

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had a similar problem with my BOSS Vplow because the previous owner destroyed and subsequently lost the parking stand.

My solution was to buy a trailer jack (the type with the pull pin so it can be removed) and weld the bung on the framework of the headgear. Now when I take it off I just slide it in place and plop in the pin. When I come back, even if it has settled due to thaw, I can crank it back up to where I need to be. Infinately adjustable, it has made my life so much easier for reattachment.

19. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Use a hydraulic floor jack to hold it at the right height before you take it off your truck. We do this with a fisher v plow thats on a MM1 that i use on occasion, it works well.

20. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

floor jacks and dismount tools that are threaded rod ?

doesnt sound very minute mount to me?

On my old meyer I used to attatch the chain and hydrolic lines before I even attempted to attach the pins into the chassis. Then I would use the ram to lift the whole thing up a bit if I need be and drive right into where it needed to go.

but that plow was also 20 year old technology, I would think there is something wrong with the set up of the plow, how does fisher compensate for different truck heights?