1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need some plow wiring help.

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by -db, Feb 12, 2008.

1. -db

-db Banned
    from sw-mi

Hey all,

A plow newbie needs some help. Up until last month, I have never plowed, let alone worked on one.

The plow is a Hiniker C-Plow and truck is a '95 Sierra.

Here's the situation. I'm watching the father-in-laws place, and have been plowing it with his stuff, he's not mechanically inclined, so calling him won't help me. Well the battery sucks and was always dieing and would sometimes die while plowing. So yesterday I decide to put in a new battery and some battery terminals.

I get everything back together today, but it doesn't work. I can make all the relays click through the controller, but nothing move. So it seems I have no power to the pump. Main power feed is good, but nothing is comig out of the relay.

This is the power relay set-up on the truck.

[​IMG]

Here are the wires that go to the coil of the relay.

[​IMG]

Wire #1 came off the right terminal and seems to be a few gound wires.

Wires #2 and #3 came off the left terminal. #2 is connected to wire #1 but has a diode at the ring that connects to the left terminal. Wire #3 seems to be the trigger from the control unit.

When I test the wire with my test light, is shows a strong ground when off and a weak ground when turned on. So it doesn't seem to be switching to power like I think it should in order to trigger the coil.

I have tried to trigger the coil with jumper wires, but that doesn't seem to make the relay work either.

Also tried connecting the pump power lead straight to power, but I just get sparks.

I am sure I hooked everything up the way I took it off.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Isn't there 2 fused wires off the pos. terminal? You are right about sol. wires 2and3 go together (orange wires) and 1 (black) by itself. It doesn't matter what side you put them on polarity doesn't matter just sends signal to close sol. to allow power through.

3. -db

-db Banned
    from sw-mi

The only other powered wire is one connected to ignition under the dash. At least that I found anyway. That one supplies power to the joystick.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Everything tight? Plow plugged in? Battery fully charged? It has to be something dumb. Good luck!

5. sweetlou48096

sweetlou48096 Junior Member
    from 48096

Really really wondering how you like your scoop plows. Couple guys locally have them and are saying that they can mover 30% more snow than a V-plow. Could you please educate me with your thoughts.

Thanks

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I really like them. I have a 9.5' Hiniker V sitting in the shop as a backup, but the V's are slower side to side IMO. The scoops are alot lighter too new poly V's dropped a ton of weight though. Less payup to buy, less weight to carry, and faster IMO.