1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need some measurements on Western Wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mebes, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have been looking for some wings to put on my Ultra mount 8.5' MVP
    Western makes a set for the Pro Plus that I have pictured below.
    I know that these wings are not made specifically for my plow, but i'm thinking that I can weld a bar between the first 2 ribs to put the hitch pin into.

Do any of you have a set of these wings that you could take the following measurements for me?
    A Inner edge of wing to center of mounting hole
    B Inner edge of wing to end of mounting bracket
    C Ground to center of bottom mounting hole
    D Ground to center of top mounting hole

Western makes 2 versions of these wings so Please include if you have the straight blade or the MVP version.

I have already measured the mounting hole on the "Buyers wings" and decided against using them.
    If anyone else has any ideas for wings that might work, I would like to hear them as well.

2. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

measured off a 7.5 pro plus
    A: 5.25"
    B: 11.25"
    C: 4.75"
    D: 19"
    On measurement C&D I measured from bottom of plow frame not from ground because I don't have a new edge on it
    on my wing i also put a pins in all the post that fit in the plow frame
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Thank you K&N for your help.

Anyone with a set of "MVP Pro Plus" wings out there??
  4. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

I have a set for an MVP Pro-Plus, almost new

I bought them thinking they would fit my Pro-Plus straight, but no the case, $450.00 plus shipping and they are yours.
  5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

gd8boltman I'm looking for measurements to see if I can modify (weld a bar and drill some holes on) my blade to fit them first.
    Trip edge springs are limiting my options.
    Measurement B is the big hangup.
    Please measure A and B for me, and I will get back to you.
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you will be better off with the buyers wing.
  7. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

i dont have either yet. but you theink the pro wings are better than the western wings?
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

yes. the western brand have issues.
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My MVP wings broke earlier this week. I hit some hard pack and one of them folded right up :cry: After inspecting them I noticed that the welds on them are totally insufficient. I took them to a local welder and he couldn't believe how poorly they are made.

I had him fix them up enough to get me back on the road but this summer he said he would fab them up so that I no longer have issues.
  10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If your wings had not given out what would you have broke on the plow or truck instead? That insufficent weld is a designed weak point and worked exactly as it should have!
  11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I disagree with your assessment. I was winging some snow off to one side and I ran it up against some hard pack when it broke. No plow should break under those conditions...especially for what those wings sell for.

Trust me, I'm not thinking that I should be able to blast the wings into curbs without them breaking. I do, however, believe they should withstand the normal wear and tear that comes with doing commercial snow removal.
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id really like to know if the western pro plus wings can be made to fit easly to a regular pro blade......
  13. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I don't see why not, a little fabricating and anything can fit anything. I don't understand how people can break these pro plus wings. I run them scraping curbs clean all the time have it spots in curbs that throws the truck to the side and no damage. That rubber cutting edge take most of the shock out of obstructions. Does any one have pictures of broken wings?
  14. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have already measured the Buyers Wings.
    The big hole (in the moldboard) is located just inside the first rib.
    I can not put the reinforcing plate behind the moldboard without modifying the rib.
    I have used them in the past, but unfortunately they will not fit this blade.

Thanks anyway.

For you guys that jacked my thread........ Keep it up! At least some people are reading it.
    Maybe someone with a tape measure, and a set of wings for the MVP will read it.
  15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There are measurements in post #2 of this thread. I can measure mine and regurgitate the numbers :rolleyes:
  16. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

the only reason the western wings ford is because the pins that slide into the side of the plow will slip out when you hit a object. I hit a light plow at a creep (with my head out the window) and saw the pins pull out and wing fold. So on my new wing I drilled the pins and put a cotter key in them and they work great.
    I would only run western wings

What measurement do you need help with?
  17. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Western makes 2 versions of these wings.
    One for straight blades Part # 64410 and another Part # 44510 for MVP plows.

The measurements in post #2 from K&N are for the straight blade.
    I still need measurements for the MVP
  18. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

The measurements you gave me are great, I just would like some from the MVP version, so I can decide which ones would fit best.
    I will be sure to drill out the pins as you suggested.
    Thanks again
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Here you go:

A = 9.5" (to the center of the hole)
    B = 15" (from the exact spots you indicated on your pic)
    C = 11.5" (see below)
    D = 23.5" (see below)

Keep in mind that the measurements of C and D would be greater with a new set of edges. Mine are worn down at least 1"

Let me know if you need anything further, I'll be in and out of the shop all day.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  20. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Thanks Camden.
    There appears to be a larger difference then I thought in these 2 wings.
    I will go out tomorrow and measure to see if either of these wings will work for me.
    If I do modify a set to my 8.5' ultra mount MVP I will post pics.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009