1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

i need some info

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowchicago, Jan 3, 2012.

1. plowchicago

plowchicago Junior Member
    from Chicago

Im thinking about buying a new truck..My cureent truck is a chevy 1500..i was looking for a 2500 but not anything worth buying for a good price...I did find a 94 Dodge ram that look good and runs good...I want to use a v box spreader in the new truck,so my question is when plowing what do i need a 1500 or 2500 truck?1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck?
    what are the benifits? i was thinking about buying some helper bags..what do you guys think?

2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

as far as half ton trucks go chevys are by far the best i feel, theres some guys on here that use theyres hard and they just take it and keep going. if you are going to get a vbox spreader you definitley want 3/4 ton minimum. 3/4 tons will hold the weight of the plow and spreader much better. alot of people on here use timbrens and have good results

3. plowchicago

plowchicago Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thanks Randombob...
    I was thinking i should just go with the 3/4 ton just to be on the safe side..

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Go 3/4 ton if your putting a spreader on the back. I'd also try to find a V10 as they use the same tranny as the diesel which has a lot of upgrades over the ones used in the V8's. My V10 returns the same mileage as a 5.9 V8 in a 3/4 does, yet has a ton more power and torque.

I'm not going to comment on which brand is best, but all of the Mid 90's trucks were built to work IMO.

1500.JPG

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the 3/4 ton. If it were just for plowing you could use the half ton and be fine but if you need to salt, the 3/4 will give you a lot more hauling capacity. I would be careful with a mid 90's anything especially the dodges. Remember that is when they had all the transmission issues. You may even want to look into a 1 ton if you can find one that isn't beat to death. I've always been a chevy guy but my dodge out works my previous trucks by far so I doubt I'd go back to chevy unless it's for a daily driver. Just my .02

6. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

3/4 ton for sure. I'm sure you could pick up a nice 03+ 2500 Quad Cab with the Hemi for a good price now, and may get lucky and find one with a plow already on it.