1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I need some info LIKE NOW! please help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TheEquineFencer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Here's the deal, I helped a buddy get some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks put together with spreaders a few years back. He's been doing quite well at it. Then I got laid off for the last two years. I've been running a plow for him a few times each year and he keeeps telling me to buy/build me a truck to make more money. I just bought a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck another buddy gave me a Western plow that looks almost new he had in his salvage yard from some trading he did.I just got a M-F job this past Monday. I bought the truck yesterday,another buddy fixed the 700R4 transmission for me for "free." nother buddy came over today while I was running around getting the title and insurance work completed after I got off work, he mounted the plow. Now here's where it get funny, I do not have any wiring or diagrams for the hydraulics or controls. I need to get this going tonight, it's snowing here and my buddy is willing to let me go to work for him in the morningif I can get it going, more snow is forcast for the next week. I need to find out what model plow I have, how the controls are plumbed and wired. I can builld a wiring harnnes with relays and such, I have a really nice shop and a lot of electrical stuff to do it with. What I need to know is what needs to go where and a diagram to work from. I have a background in Diesel mechanics and power generation, wiring controls is what I'm good at. The new job I got the guys are already calling me "McGyver" for what I can do with just about nothing. If someone would be so kind as to send me the info I need you have no idea how much I'd be thankful. I sent Western an E-mail early this morning and did not get a reply. I looked at their website and could not figure out which diagram or what I really needed to know. Here's a couple of links so you can see what I have.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/SnowPlowandtruckpictures008.jpg

What I need right now is to know what lines need to go where and how to wire the plow for the hydraulics to work. The buddy that mounted it for me, had two new lines made up and new quick disconnects installed. I have the two lines installed where it looks like they should go, the fittings are such so you cannot hook them up backwards, is this all there is and the rest internal for the up/Down? I just got finished withe animals here at home and I'm going to go take a stab at figuring it out as far as the wiring. I've figured out how to switch the running and head lights to the plow through a set of relays. I do have the main power relay for the pump, not sure if it works yet though. It looks like the coil circuit is hot all the time from the main battery cable and you give it a ground to turn it on. So I'm open to some help and advice ASAP. my e-mail address is TheEquineFencer(AT)AOL(DOT)com, feel free to drop me a line, I'll be up all night I'm sure wiring the controls and such. Thanks, Floyd.

2. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

It's mounted on a 1990 2500 Chevrolet truck by the way.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Look like you have a cable system.I am guessing you have a uni mout. Without any pictures of the plow or mount, can not really tell what kind of plow you have.....

Here is the pdf for cable
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/62880_060304_rescanned.pdf

If I am right you should have the harness with a "two" relay setup here is the pdf
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13591_111894.pdf

Here are some diagrams. these came out of the pdf (13591) pages 6,8,9. At the end of the PDF you will find electrical schematics and part numbers

chev.jpg

chevA.jpg

chevB.jpg

chev.jpg

chevA.jpg

chevB.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. twinman326

Good advice don't use "I need some info LIKE NOW!". A lot of guy help on here. You will get better results using a different word!!

Try to get some pictures of the plow frame "A frame", and "Quad", and post them on here. Then someone can tell you what you have...

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Good advice fellow New Yorker. Some more advice I can offer Floyd is ---and only because you're a guy---is LOSE THE VAGINA!!!:laughing:Like I always tell my GF'',get to the point''. We really don't need to know you tucked your animals away,or that you helped out your buddy 2 years ago with spreaders,or that Auntie Bertha makes a great pecan pie[Alright--I'm exaggerating here,but you get the point].Good luck with the install and make some money.Being a Mcgyfer type,I'm sure you'll figure her out shortly with some help from the Western guys here.

6. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

you have it right about the solenoid hot at all times give it ground to run. The ground comes from the cables to the controller. small black wire from controller to solenoid to trigger. battery neg to pump.
    bat positive to solenoid. Solenoid to pump motor.

Post #3 pdf for cable page 20 electrical diag page 27 relay wiring do not forget the jumper wire.

not hard to do just folloe the diag and adjust the cables as per the manual.

7. twinman326

TheEquinefencer, how did it work out??

8. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Evidently I fell asleep after posting. My buddy called at 6 am and I went out on one of his trucks to relieve some drivers for the next 28 hours straight. I have just started checking mail, I did get a response back from Western, Sorry for too much info, I guess it's a Southern thing. Thanks for the info, but I was thrashing trying to get the job at hand completed in time to go out on my own truck. Is there some place to buy used control assemblies from "salvaged" snow plows? I'm guessing the entire "joystick" and everything needed for the control assembly is going to expensive. I really do not like the way it's wired with it "hot" all the time and giving it a ground to work, if the ground signal wire were to short to ground, it could leave the pump motor running. If it were wired the other way, with the motor coil grounded and sending 12V on the control wire to turn the pump solenoid on, if it were to short to ground it would just blow a fuse for the 12V control voltage circuit; if I'm correct, this would only cost a fuse and save the motor. On the subject of Pump Solenoids, Are there any built better than what comes on them OEM? I found a lot of the trucks pushing snow this past weekend had a lot of solenoid failures. My guess is from being cycled too much. They pushed to a pile, stopped, backed up, then lifted the plow blade and moved to another location in the parking lots, dropped the blade and repeated several times for a long time. If there's not better built ones, I'm thinking of running dual solenoids paralleled so the two can share the load, it might make them last longer. I hope these links to the pictures work so you can see what I'm working on.

Thanks, Floyd.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/SnowPlowandtruckpictures022.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/SnowPlowandtruckpictures021.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/SnowPlowandtruckpictures020.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/SnowPlowandtruckpictures012.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  9. twinman326

Is this a "cable" control???

If this is the case, the cable control tr angles, and the up and down.

Diagram of cable pump and controller

cabl.jpg

This is hydraulic solenoid and control (u don't have this)

hydrsol.jpg

Different pumps..Different styles..

Make your question simple, so we can give you the right answer...

cabl.jpg

hydrsol.jpg

10. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

I assume it is, it looks like it needs two control cables to move the valving on the pump/motor. Look at the links for the pictures and you tell me. I'm open to suggestions, I've got another week before we get some more snow if I'm lucky. I want to get out as cheap as I can for now. Thanks, Floyd.

11. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

My next question about this plow is the valving on the motor. When the levers in the side of the motor/pump move, how does it work to hold in a position once the motor cuts off? I've not put power to the motor yet to try it. I'm going to assume when you release the lever it needs to go back to a neutral position to hold. I guess I need a "crash course" in plow theory of operation.

Thanks again, Floyd.

12. twinman326

13. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Thanks!! The site did not have the whole posting of yours loaded when I started reading it, but it does now. It's very helpful. Where is the best place to buy parts for these?

14. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

The steel cables act as the ground wire to complete the circuit to trigger the solenoid. This is why it is triggered by ground not power.

Inside the controller are three copper fingers that complete the ground circuit to trigger the motor to run to lift/left/right when requested(don,t need power for down).

The cables are attached to two simple hydraulic valves. For up/down left/right the valves open and close the hydraulic fluid channels by simply connecting two openings or preventing the flow.

when the circuit is closed no fluid can flow so the plow remains up or holds the set angle.

15. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

So the when the control lever is released, the lever returns to a neutral position and this pulls the valve levers on the pump/motor by the cables running to the pump/motor and closes the ports inside so it stays in the position it's set at if I'm correct?

16. twinman326

I have to diagree with the cable acting like a ground..There is a single wire (ground) from the controller that goes to the the small terminal on the motor relay. then a jumper wire from the terminal (big) to the remaining small terminal on the motor relay.

Please read.....

el.jpg

el.jpg

17. twinman326

18. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Thanks, you've been a lot of help.All of you've been a lot of help. I'm reading the manual now.

Thanks again, Floyd.

19. twinman326

My advice, keep the PDF for future reference. One day you might need it again..

As for your parts, Angelo's supplies are fair in price.Good luck..

20. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The cables do act as a ground from the pump to the controller. When you move the controller it makes contact with the brass fingers which the black wire is attached to which completes the ground circuit for the motor solenoid.