1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I Need Some Ideas

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by I HATE RUST, Sep 11, 2012.

I HATE RUST Senior Member
    from PA

So I have a 14k 20x8 deck over trailer that I use to haul tractors and it works great, but I want to haul some smaller things like mowers and what not so I need to run some 2x6 sides around the sides but how do I use the rails that are on the out side of the boards to strap things down? look at the picture if you don't understand. sorry the picture was taken at night

I want to see what you guys have come up with to solve this problem

Thanks Bill

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Install some rings on the flat deck part of the trailer
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Space the boards so there is a little gap under them and you can slide the straps underneath.

Or just skip strapping stuff down, so much quicker that way. :cool:
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need the boards if you strap everything? I agree with the d rings on the floor. They're cheap and easy to install.
  5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

x2 with what MrMarkus said, I think you will find that the boards are more of a pain in the butt the anything, Let us know what you decide.

from PA

well the reason I want the boards is for stuff like blowers gas cans shovels you know stuff that is fine just to be thrown on for around town driving. I like the floor board idea but I don't know if I would trust it for some of the larger things I haul like tractors and cars

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How about an expanded metal or chain link cage you can use only when hauling the little stuff.
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The d rings I've used in the past are rated at 11,000lbs and should be bolted through a crossmember or side rail.

from PA

I like the d rings but i don't want to be limited to only 4 or 6 strapping points with the rails I can hook the straps or chians on the hole length of the trailer, also when I haul water tanks that are on pallets I need a flat deck so they don't get hung up when loading and unloading them
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Don't use solid boards, make sort of like a fence...steel up-rights with C-channel running the length of them. They can be low enough to keep the small things from falling out while giving you the ability to run the straps under the rails to your tie down bar. And depending on how you make and secure them you could possibly use them as another tie down point for small stuff too.
  11. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

give me the truck and trailer then you wont have to worry about it
  12. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

I have a flatbed on one of the trucks, the wood sides are loose enough that I can lift them out, strap things down, and then sit them back on, on top of the strap. Tall stuff the strap goes up and over the wood.

Seems like you're putting more thought into this than necessary. If you are carrying a lot of small stuff, put in the truck, or maybe strap a job box/tool box onto the trailer for the small stuff.
  13. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

you want to be able to throw stuff in the trailer....every picture i see you post involves your trailer being full, and your truckbed empty, chevy gave you a pickup bed for a reason, use it.

from PA

thanks for you great advice :realmad:
  15. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

cut half circles in the board every foot or two so you can pass the strap through. that was the rest of the board is tight to the deck

or just use the bed :p

from PA

I like your idea, this is what I have so far

17. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

now assuming the tractor is usually in the same spot, cut out a little from the bottom of the board so you can get the strap under it without juggling to board and making a guillotine for your fingers

from PA

automatic delay for power to compressor

so new question for you guys. I am going to install this compressor in my truck and I would like it to come on automatically when I turn my key and build up to 90psi witch is all well and good but every time I go to start my truck the compressor will kick on as it should but that will put strain on my batteries trying to start the truck. so has any one ever herd of something that could give me around a 60 second power delay?

my current compressor is on a switch and Its a pain to remember to turn on and off

thanks Bill

from PA

:dizzy: just thought maybe I can find a fuse that's Hot only when the truck is running and use that to feed the relay

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Not to be a dink but your tie down need to be re thought out. Any strap should have zero chance of rubbing or wearing through due to friction. Simpilly throwing them over sharp metal or small structural members is a disaster waiting to happen. Also having the straps under the boards is a recipie for flying debris. I can see your thoughts of bungee ties but in a accident I can see lots of things comming loose or worse flying off.

Also the hooks need to be dropped through the inside and then hooked from the top portion of the rail. I'm not trying to start a fight but helping advoid stiff penelties or roadside inspection from your local truck inforcement officer.

As for the small stuff. Build a locking cage which can be removed when not needed. This will keep the stuff inside not only in an accident but from sticky fingers when you are not looking or working in the back yard.

You can use the seatbelt as a toggle switch. When you buckle up it will complete a loop and send power back to the computer turning off the seatbelt light on the dash. You can tap into this signal (12volts) and run it to another relay powering up the compressor. This way also the compressor will never be left on overnight.